Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15 >
Topic Options
#37808 - 06/29/02 12:27 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
charlie Offline
Desperado

They are generally happy to demo in sighted conditions. It's when someone wants to do instrumented or blind tests they get camera shy.

Hey - I don't believe a BMW 750 is 500% better transportation than a Hyundai Sonata either, from a pragmatic standpoint, but I know which one I'd rather have. And my preference has nothing to do with primary function, transportation.

And there's nothing wrong with that, unless I try to convince my neighbor to let his kid go without braces so they can get the Beemer too because it will make the kids smarter or happier or whatever. If I start making claims that I try to apply to others, facts should be on my side.

#37809 - 06/29/02 12:29 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
I've had it... so I'm editing all my posts in this thread.

I make a suggestion, which may or may not help some folks improve their 950's performance, and... boom, here comes the glass half empty, negative nebob folks with their criticism. Of course, none of them offer an alternative positive idea.
Once again, no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm done. I'm joining the thread farters. IT'S TIME for me to be a nasty Son of a Bitch too.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited June 30, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#37810 - 06/29/02 02:04 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
Mojo: if it works for you, go for it.[/B]

Merc, just kidding about Audio Oil. However if anyone wants to buy some for the price offered I would be happy sell it to you. I need a new cd player.

Here is a whitepaper on interconnect and cable design. http://sound.westhost.com/cablewhitepaper.htm

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing."

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

The above could just as easily be re-phrased - for example ...

"I refuse to prove that my cables will make your system sound better", says the snake oil vendor, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, you will hear nothing."

To read more go here: http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm

Basically, I think all well designed interconnects will sound the same. At a local high end shop they actually sell a pair of 8 foot speaker cables that cost $22,000.00. Yes you read that right. That's more then I spend on my car (VW Passat).

[This message has been edited by mojoman (edited June 29, 2002).]

#37811 - 06/29/02 02:32 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
merc Offline
Desperado

I make a suggestion, which may or may not help some folks improve their 950's performance, and... boom, here comes the glass half empty, negative nebob folks with their criticism. Of course, none of them offer an alternative positive idea.

I'm done. I'm joining the thread farters. IT'S TIME for me to be a nasty Son of a Bitch too.

merc\'s primary system

#37812 - 06/29/02 02:42 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

thread title
Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?

Quote:

from very first post
Try using Outlaw PCA interconnects between your 950 and your amps.

Don't some people prefer the 950 sound to the 1066? What interconnects should these people use?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 29, 2002).]

#37813 - 06/29/02 02:46 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
how many manufacturers of any audio/video component actually does ABX DBTs

Regarding video: Last night I hooked up a new prog. DVD player, I was short on componentent (Component: that was a good one I made the word 2 metters long!) cables. I had the guy throw in 2 sets of Comp. with Our new Sony RPTV purchase.
He sent me the low end Straight Wire set. One set was bad, and I have not have time to get back and trade it, so last night bought one set, low end Monster to be able to connect the DVD player.
Huge difference between the straight wire and Monster. The Monster adversely affected red tones, its going back.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited June 29, 2002).]

#37814 - 06/29/02 02:46 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Quote:
Don't some people prefer the 950 sound to the 1066? What interconnects should these people use?

That's a good point Will. Since I have only used the Outlaw interconnects I guess that's how I think a 950 should sound. This can get confusing.

#37815 - 06/29/02 03:23 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
Now that I think of it... how many manufacturers of any audio/video component actually does ABX DBTs versus any other competing manufacturer's components?

I'm not sure about vs. competitors, but Harmon Intl. uses ABX extensively in R&D.

There are lots of things that go into a buying decision and I would be the last to say performance is the only criterion. Pride of ownership, appearance, build quality, personal preference, branding, and a ton of other factors are important.

As an example the Outlaw interconnects may not sound different in a blind test than any other interconnect, but they are Outlaw branded and look very well made. There is nothing wrong or foolish about buying them based on that, and if one thinks their system sounds better afterwards, great. But for Outlaw or anyone to claim huge or immediately noticable and identifiable changes to the sound of a third parties' system would IMO require more rigorous proof.

Also, most other classes of components are chock full of easily measurable characteristics that often either border or cross into the realm of theoretical audibity. Thus with instrumented measurements in hand they can, IMO, lay a valid claim. Whether their claim is exagerated or not is up to each one to determine based on the measurements presented.

#37816 - 06/29/02 03:34 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
merc Offline
Desperado

merc\'s primary system

#37817 - 06/29/02 03:41 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
merc Offline
Desperado

Quote:
But for Outlaw or anyone to claim huge or immediately noticable and identifiable changes to the sound of a third parties' system would IMO require more rigorous proof.
Charlie: Rigorous proof for whom? You? Okay then do the ABX DBT yourself if you want to... none of us are gonna stop you. Still, even if you did, those results would only be valid for you and your room and gear... not necessarily for anyone else at all. Seems to me that the only way for each one of us to know, is for each one of us to try it and see. Doh! That certainly is not a unique or original concept in HTF upgrades.
Otherwise, this is like someone critiquing the 950's sound without ever hearing what a 950 sounds like in their system?
merc\'s primary system

Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM