Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 14 15 >
Topic Options
#37778 - 06/28/02 04:21 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

I also noticed somewhat of a decrease in brightness using the Outlaw cables (OMG I'm agreeing with Merc?). I wouldn't call the effect warmth, maybe just a slightly darker sound - which I prefer.

For those ES9000 owners out there I also rolled of some additional highs (to a much larger effect) changing the audio setting from Sharp to Slow. I wasn't surprised that it caused less ear fatigue on the high end - but was VERY suprised at how well it tightened up the image and opened up the midrange.

The tradeoff is that some instruments sound a tad more artificial, but overall the music has a better presentation with a more correct dynamic emphasis.

Just for kicks I reconnected my old $150 Rotel pre/pro. I just loved the warmth and musicality in 2 channel. After trying out a DVD after being used to the 950 sound, though, I listened about 10 minutes and quickly reconnected the 950.

What's a mother to do?

#37779 - 06/28/02 04:22 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
Simple answer - By allowing the digital/analog source to better project itself through said cable, or as I stated above, become more transparent than higher distortion cables!

#37780 - 06/28/02 04:25 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

HT Crazed - Great to hear that you are happy with your 950, and hopefully I will be able to get one sometime in the near future!

#37781 - 06/28/02 04:49 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Jeremy - thanks. I'm very pleased with the 950 for HT sound. As for music, I'm still trying to get it to the point where we can co-exist. The change on the 9000es has been a solid improvement, and I'll be listening carefully over the weekend to see if its something I can live with longer term. (And given my financial situation lately, the floor of what I can live with has dropped considerably).

But if I can get 2 channel to more or less work for me - what a bargain!

#37782 - 06/28/02 05:10 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

If you really believe that you heard obvious differences between different cables, then the set either included faulty connections, or your mind was tricking you.

If you don't believe that, try to find one, any, something where a scientific, double-blind, level-matched test verified a statistically significant difference between two interconnects. Or speaker cables (as long as they were reasonably sufficient). Or power cords.

You will find nothing but anecdotal evidence. "I'm sure I could tell a difference. Really, I did!"

Cables with active circuitry are a different story, but as posted above, that's a really silly place to try to tweak/alter system sound.

People that buy into this line also tend to make arguments like "keep your speaker wires the same length, so that the signals get to your ear at the same time". To hear the difference in time delay between a 1 foot cord and a 100 foot cord, you would have to keep your head still to sub-millimeter precision. Good luck.

Room acoustics and speaker driver design have far, far, far more influence on tonal balance than any interconnect or wire.

#37783 - 06/28/02 05:24 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
charlie Offline
Desperado

It's quite simply a religion, and you can't prove or disprove religion with science. Not that I'm anti-religion, but this particular one is pretty lame.

The reference to 'digital' cables really seals the deal.

EDIT: I do like the apparent quality and attention to detail in the Outlaw offerings, but that is beside the point.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited June 28, 2002).]

#37784 - 06/28/02 06:15 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Again, has either of you even tried LISTENING to the differences of different quality cables? You two are so statistically minded and absolutely rock-solid-fact oriented in thinking that you don't open your minds to even the remote possibility that there could be an audible difference. Not tricking you, not having some kind of blind faith in manufacturer just because of name recognition. (Which, by the way I haven't even once mentioned a single Cable manufacturer, have I?!!) Recognizing, without bias, noticeable improvement in sound.
Now this argument could go on and on, but I don't think that it needs to, so I repeat, we are all allowed our opinions. Mine is based on the experience that I have had in testing different audio connections on many different speakers using the same pre/pro and amplifier (KRELL). It is from these sessions that I have gathered my data, actual real-world results, and formed my opinion. Did I use any testing equipment or hire a technician to calculate everything for me? NO! I used my EARS, carefully listening for nuances and differences in compression, definition, resolution and sound staging! That my opinion differs from yours I completely understand. But what you don't seem to understand is that no matter how much mumbling you continue with, you will not sway my opinion! As I am NOT trying to sway yours!!!!!! I agree to disagree, and will leave it at that!

Charlie - "The reference to 'digital' cables really seals the deal."

- REPEAT -(and read carefully this time) Simple answer - By allowing the digital/analog source to better project itself through said cable, or as I stated above, become more transparent than higher distortion cables!-

Chuck, buddy. Is a cable a SOURCE? NO! It is a signal path by which audio information is sent from the source, to the processor, to the amplifier, to the speaker!!!! I NEVER stated that the cable was analog or digital, only that the SOURCE WAS!! You just assume, and obviously do not fully read what is written!! NUFF SAID!

#37785 - 06/28/02 06:23 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
I've had it... so I'm editing all my posts in this thread.

I make a suggestion, which may or may not help some folks improve their 950's performance, and... boom, here comes the glass half empty, negative nebob folks with their criticism. Of course, none of them offer an alternative positive idea.
Once again, no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm done. I'm joining the thread farters. IT'S TIME for me to be a nasty Son of a Bitch too.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited June 30, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#37786 - 06/28/02 06:42 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Merc - I apologize for muddying your initial effort in just trying to pass on newfound information! Your efforts are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#37787 - 06/28/02 06:47 PM Re: Wanna make your 950 sound more like a 1066?
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

Yup, I've listened to various cables in various situations. I can recognize DAC differences in a heartbeat. I can detect a loose cable. I can tell when a certain door is open to my theater (different room acoustics). As long as a cable is well constructed (not shoddy, loose soldering, etc) -- it had no audible differences from any other cable.

You said that you heard a difference, and you were positive of it. Was this a level matched, double blind test?? If the volume differed by as much as 0.5 dB, you'll hear a difference from that. Did you see the cables being switched? That can cause a psychological effect. Was there any time delay between each audition? It is well proven that your ears cannot reliably make qualitative comparisons, even on the same recording when there is even a short listening gap (such as while cables are swapped around).
You said you did this test with the same pre/pro on many different speakers. To what length did you go to ensure NO other factors were involved?

In short, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you cannot reliably identify the differences in cables in any scientifically controlled test. I've seen test after test after test where someone had the same convictions as you -- "I know they sound different". Put the same people, the same equipment, the same cables into a real test, and they do no better than random chance. I've even seen tests like this where the cables were NEVER changed, the listener just THOUGHT it was being done, and they start identifying differences in "transparency", "air", and
"musicality".

Believe it if you want. Buy more expensive cables if you want. I'm putting my money in things that really matter.

Oh yeah -- if you still believe in this, I've got some "acoustic pyramids" that will dramatically improve the soundstage in your room. Just put these blocks of wood strategically around your room, chant appropriately, and you won't believe the improvement

[This message has been edited by bigmac (edited June 28, 2002).]

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM