Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#37702 - 06/22/02 02:27 AM Proton AS-2631
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
I was reading about the Proton AS-2631. It's a pre-pro with most of the usual decoding formats. Available from Proton direct for $800.00 + $20.00 S&H. It's a 2000 CES Award Winner. Specs aren't overly impressive, but I'm surprised that I haven't heard it mentioned in these pages. Anybody know anything about it? Just curious.
Mix

#37703 - 06/22/02 04:44 PM Re: Proton AS-2631
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I hadn't ever heard of the Proton, either. (For anybody else who hasn't, here's a link .) I'd only heard of Proton before because of their monitors. I didn't realize that they made anything else. It actually reminds me a little of the Lexicon DC-1 as far as I/O and overall layout (no 5.1 input, same low-profile design with just a few rows of jacks on the back). I rather doubt that $800 would get you Lexicon sound, but that's just the first thought that popped into my mind...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#37704 - 06/22/02 04:52 PM Re: Proton AS-2631
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Proton used to have products very closely related to the NAD classics. They had a 40 watt reciever, the 940, with a schotz tuner and 6db of headroom. They also made a very good integrated amp and seperate tuner. Then they came out with a power amp (the AA-1150?) that was a quiet dual-mono powerhouse with beautiful anolog meters. It's dynamic headroom was something like a whopping 7.3db! They made excellent (in my opinion) products in the mid 80s (my heyday).

#37705 - 06/22/02 05:54 PM Re: Proton AS-2631
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Hello All,
Gonk, that's the link that I was looking at. My references for Proton gear are few. Awhile back, they were making (or at least marketing) monitors with a pretty good picture. I'm not sure what their specs were. I personally have owned a Proton alarm clock for over twelve years. It's on my nightstand right now while my Nakamichi SoundScape 3 is being fixed. As you can tell, I love electronics. I'm not really looking for a substitute for the 950. Just trying to educate myself on all of the available options. My 1050 and outboard amps are keeping me quite happy while I wait for MY 950. I haven't named it (MY 950) yet, but I'm tempted.
Anyone else on the waiting list might do as I, and others, have done and use a 1050 until the 950's are available. There seems to be no problem in selling one when you're finished with it. For future reference, I'm keeping all of the manuels, packing, etc. to make it a complete package upon resale.
Till next time,
Mix

#37706 - 06/22/02 11:15 PM Re: Proton AS-2631
WEEBEDNA Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
I had to register just to comment on the Proton AS-2631. I recently purchased this processor on EBAY. I think the seller was they trying to 'clean out' there inventory of these units becase they had 25+ units for sale via dutch auction. This seller normally sells them for $850 on their web site (still does), but they were getting rid of them for $275. Although it was a nice sounding unit, I had nothing but trouble with the units led display. I actually went thru 3 units and each one had some display related problem. Fortunatly the seller worked with me and tried to supply me a properly functioning unit. After the 3rd unit I gave up and got my money back. The seller mentioned they had other buyers with similar problems. These units were 'new', not refurbs/returns. As far as features, it really only has 5.1 DD and DTS. There are no simulated surround modes and no 5.1 analog input for SACD or DVD-A.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts