Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37690 - 07/08/02 07:38 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
I don't know if it should matter, but I'm using coax from my CD. Is anybody able to make the stereo mode (as opposed to a DPL2 or DTS surround mode) not send the full frequency to the front speakers? With my 950, with the fronts set to small and the crossover either 40 or 150 Hz, the speakers get the FULL frequency range, just like they would with the speakers set to large.

The DPL2 and DTS modes appear to work fine, but the stereo mode sends the full frequency range to the front speakers, even when the fronts are set up as small. The subwoofer is STRONGLY affected by the crossover point in stereo mode, but the front speakers don't seem to be affected. You can physically turn your sub off and see if you hear the same thing.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 08, 2002).]

#37691 - 07/08/02 08:15 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Will,
When you say "coax from my CD" is that analog rca or digital coax? If that is digital, then all bets are off. The bypass is really short for "analog bypass". It is not intended to be used with a digital input. That could explain the strange results.

But, I do agree that in "stereo" mode (which basically means 2.0 surround mode) the crossover should affect the output of the mains, assuming they are set to small. If set to large, the crossover setting will have no effect.

#37692 - 07/08/02 08:36 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

I'm setting to STEREO. The switch is *not* set to BYPASS. Yes, if it was set to BYPASS then as Scott says, it would alway pass the full frequency range to the front speakers. But it's not set to BYPASS in this case. The front speakers are set as small. Yet I hear the full frequency range, unaffected by the crossover setting. I've switched the crossover setting from 40 to 150 Hz and I hear no difference.

Has anybody else had the chance to try this, with your subwoofer physically turned off?

#37693 - 07/08/02 09:35 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

It sounds like 1 of 2 things - either:

1) You have a defective unit, or

2) The "triple-crossover" only crosses-over the sub outputs, not the main outputs. Thus it only sets what frequencies go to the sub. The mains always get the full-range signal.

#37694 - 07/08/02 10:38 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Will: If you are inputting a coax digital audio signal, choosing stereo(with your speakers set to small and a 80Hz crossover set), you should NOT get a full range signal to your front channels. I can't even imagine how this would happen since the DACs and DSP chip would be utilized for digital processing of the PCM bitstream to a stereo + sub signal.? Right? Unless... somehow, there is the parallel analog chain which occurs after the DACs and before the DSP, and that trace is the same one used for the 5.1(L/R) and 2 channel analog bypass route? Maybe... all the analog bypass setting does is turn off the DSP processing?
I hope this isn't another suprise "benefit" of the 950.

I'll try it tomorrow with my 950 and report back here...

------------------
Take Care,
merc

[This message has been edited by merc (edited July 08, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#37695 - 07/08/02 11:44 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Merc- Let us know... Must be some other 950 owners out there who can test this too...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#37696 - 07/08/02 11:47 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

I'll try it tomorrow with my 950 and report back here...

Thanks Merc! I appreciate you trying this on your 950. On *my* 950, a of DPL2 or DTS works fine but a of STEREO acts the way a of BYPASS acts. First, verify that changing the crossover has no effect with of BYPASS. That's your control case. Then see if you get the same result with the of STEREO.

In the first case, according to Scott, the full frequency range should be passed to your front speakers. With *my* 950 I don't hear anything different with a 40 Hz crossover, than with a 150 Hz crossover, in either case. I played CD's with plenty of low frequency content. Be sure if you do this that your speakers won't mind if they get the lows. Most speakers should roll off the lows they can't reproduce, but other speakers can't handle the low lows. Don't forget to physically turn off or disconnect the subwoofer.

And thanks again!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 09, 2002).]

#37697 - 07/09/02 05:56 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Okay... here is what I found with my 950.

CD player connected via digital audio coax only. 950 with Digital Coax selected and mode on STEREO.

Front Speakers: Large
Sub: On
Sub Power: On
Crossover: 40-150Hz
I got NO subwoofer output at all with the front speakers set to large, regardless of crossover setting. IS THIS CORRECT?

Front Speakers: Small
Sub Power: On
I could not easily detect any difference in the sound regardless of which crossover point was selected. However, when I walked over to my sub, or watched the green signal light on the front of my sub amp, I could see that the sub received more signal as I set the crossover higher. Yet, I am somewhat uncertain if my front L/R speakers are getting the same signal, regardless of the crossover point?

Front Speakers: Small
Sub Power: OFF
Alright! When I turned off the subs amp, I could easily detect the differences in front channel sound as I changed crossover points. With the sub power disabled, I could easily hear that the crossovers and stereo modes worked correctly. Possibly due to the nice tonal matching of my subwoofer to my speakers, it was very hard for me to detect any difference when I switched crossover freq and deflected those freqs from my front channels to my subwoofer, while the sub amp was on.

Anyway, since I have done this test, I feel more sure recommending that, unfortunately, Will's unit may be faulty. Or... that my unit's software is somehow set up differently???

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

------------------
Take Care,
merc

[This message has been edited by merc (edited July 09, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#37698 - 07/09/02 08:03 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

merc,

I expected exactly what you heard. It sounds like your unit works as advertised.

Care to experiment for us using an analog input from the CD player?

#37699 - 07/09/02 08:17 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

Merc,

I'm glad you checked my work because I often make silly mistakes. And this is one of those times. Boy do I feel stupid. I just tried my 950 again. I got the same results you got. With the sub power turned off, and the front speakers set to small, I also hear a difference when the crossover changes from 40 Hz to 150 Hz. I apologize for causing you guys so much inconvenience. I probably got confused between STEREO and BYPASS, or maybe left the sub on in STEREO but off in BYPASS. Anyway, I came to a very wrong conclusion.

Mea culpa!

Anyway, to answer your question as best I can...
Quote:

I got NO subwoofer output at all with the front speakers set to large, regardless of crossover setting. IS THIS CORRECT?

I also get no subwoofer output with the front speakers set to large. I get no subwoofer output with the front speakers set to large, in STEREO mode as you note and also in BYPASS mode. It think BYPASS mode has double bass with front speakers set small only, NOT large.
Quote:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Actually you were very helpful, Merc. Hope this sets the record straight for everybody. I am eating humble pie. And my hat too, figuratively speaking.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts