Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37680 - 07/07/02 03:09 PM Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hello,

When I turn my subwoofer off and play a CD in either the stereo mode or the bypass mode, the full frequency range goes to my two main speakers. The frequency is NOT affected by the crossover setting. Is this normal?

Again, this is only for stereo mode and bypass mode, not in the surround or DTS or DPL modes. I know this was an issue that's been discussed with the 5.1 analog inputs, but I think it's an issue with stereo and bypass modes too.

If I turn the subwoofer on, I'll hear the subwoofer which is affected by the crossover setting and so it also gets the low frequency sound, that goes to the mains.
Can anyone else duplicate my results?

I had Ricky over here today and he heard the same thing. The main speakers, when listening to either stereo or bypass mode, when the sub is off, is unaffected by the triple crossover setting, and the full frequency range goes to the two main speakers.

#37681 - 07/07/02 07:20 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
This sounds like the opposite of what rmbg heard, since he wanted to listen to 2 channel without a sub and got no bass in stereo bypass mode.

Strange huh?

#37682 - 07/07/02 07:45 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

rmbg (Ricky) was here and didn't hear the no-bass problem he heard on his 950, on my 950. He could hear bass on my 950 fine, with my sub turned off. He brought over and played CD's he was familiar with.

On *my* 950 on the other hand, when the front speaker crossover is set to *anything* from 40 Hz to 150 Hz, the exact same music comes out when the subwoofer is physically turned off.

Has anyone else been able to duplicate this on their 950? Just play CDs with low frequency content in stereo or bypass mode, with the subwoofer turned off.

I played regular stereo CDs with low frequency content.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 07, 2002).]

#37683 - 07/08/02 12:35 AM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Will, do you have a discrete test tone disc? That might be the best way of quantifying what's going on. (Stryke, Autosounds 2000, etc.)

In analog bypass mode, I think that's what it's supposed to do. But in stereo mode, it should be using the crossover...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#37684 - 07/08/02 01:25 AM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
First I would like to thank Will for his hospitality. Yup, I definitely did not hear the bass problem (or lackness) that my system is experiencing but thats a different topic.

I agree with Will where I did not hear the difference between the Small\40hz and Small\150hz in stereo mode. We tested this with both his 950 units and it performed the same way. We did test with a bass cd with different bass levels and switched between 40-150 and did not hear any difference at all.

#37685 - 07/08/02 12:00 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello All,

The large/small and crossover settings in the by-pass mode do not effect the main speakers. At all times the main speakers will see a full bandwidth signal. If the main speakers are set to "small" in the speaker configuration menu the x-over setting chosen which determine at what point the signal is also redirected to the sub. So, if your main speakers are set to "large" your sub will be inactive during playback in the by-pass mode. If your main speakers are set to "small" and a crossover of 60 Hz is selected, your mains speakers will continue to receive an unaltered full bandwidth signal. However, your sub will also see the bass information from 60 Hz and below.

Scott

#37686 - 07/08/02 12:32 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
So at Will's place, was the 950 set to "stereo" or "bypass"? Were the mains set to "large" or "small"?

What about at Ricky's on his 950?

Based on what Scott said, setting the thing to "bypass" and "small", and you can get the double-bass, assuming you have full range mains. Set to large and no double-bass, only the mains are active. Set to small in "stereo" and the crossover avoids the double-bass as well. Not sure what would cause no bass in 2-channel, unless you were set to "stereo" & "small", turned off your sub, and had a high crossover.

#37687 - 07/08/02 01:16 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
At Will's we tried both stereo and bypass. His speakers were set to small and 60hz. We tried playing with xover settings switching between 40 and 150 on both stereo and bypass. I probably would agree with the bypass since its not doing any processing but in stereo we should have heard some differences. Don't get me wrong, there was bass going thru Will's towers we just didnt hear any differences between the xover settings. Now in DPLII-M or DTS NEO, we definitely heard a difference in the settings.

The problem with my 950 is different and I am working with Scott to troubleshoot it. Thanks Scott.

#37688 - 07/08/02 07:00 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
Will Offline
Desperado

Ricky, I'm glad you came over!

Based on our experience and what Scott wrote above, we know that in bypass, the full frequency range goes to the front speakers even when the front speakers are set to small. This means the front speakers have to be able to handle a *full* frequency range, in bypass. When the fronts are set to small, bass also goes to the subwoofer (double bass).

This is different than the 5.1 analog input, although both can make double bass. With 5.1 analog, the full frequency range does NOT go to the speakers when the bass management switch is on. However the under 80-Hz content always goes to the subwoofer, independent of the bass management switch.

The difference is, with bypass, the front speakers always get the full frequency range, but the output to the sub is optional. With 5.1 analog on the other hand, the main speakers don't always get the full frequency range, but the output to the subwoofer always gets the under 80-Hz content.

Does anybody know why Stereo (not bypass) sends the full frequency range to the front speakers? Stereo acts like bypass in that regard at least on *my* 950.

Does the stereo mode act differently on other people's 950?

#37689 - 07/08/02 07:17 PM Re: Stereo and Bypass Mode With Sub Turned OFF
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Does anybody know why Stereo (not bypass) sends the full frequency range to the front speakers? Stereo acts like bypass in that regard at least on *my* 950.
Does the stereo mode act differently on other people's 950?
Will: good questions. Are you using analog input, or opt/coax digital PCM input?

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts