Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3730 - 03/03/03 05:43 PM sound blacks out
admiralchuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: nj
When playing a digital source through the digital optical cables(cd or dvd) I sometimes get a very short sound black out. Under one secon. When playing the same source through the analog inputs, no problems. Anybody??

Admiralchuck

#3731 - 03/04/03 12:25 AM Re: sound blacks out
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
Try swapping DVD players to troubleshoot the problem.

With my 3rd generation Toshiba (several years old) I had 1-2 second drop outs on all my digital connections but not using the r/l connections. The drop outs were random.

I swapped DVD players (more recent sub $200 Toshiba) and the problem was solved...and has been for a couple months. I put the other DVD player in another room with regular connection and it now works great, too.

#3732 - 03/04/03 07:47 AM Re: sound blacks out
admiralchuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It happens on both the dvd and cd players, two seperate units. The dvd is a technics dvda12n. It is an upper level dvd-audio player. i could understand if it was going on with the cd player(an old crappy technics 5 disc that does the job) but not the dvd.
that can't be the problem and i am not buying new components because the outlaw isn't reading the info properly.
AdmiralChuck

------------------
Admiralchuck

#3733 - 03/04/03 08:03 AM Re: sound blacks out
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Is this black out at the very beginning of the selection (start of a CD, or when you first enter a menu or other section of a DVD)? When I went from a pro-logic Yamaha receiver to a 1050, I noticed that the audio in some DVD menus didn't start immediately. This is true to a varying degree of any home theater receiver, although the length of the silence will vary. The silence is caused by the receiver trying to identify the incoming format. If the delay is too short, I'm told that you can get undesirable noise (mis-decoded gibberish) coming through before the format lock is completed. With the analog inputs, there's no question what the incoming format is and therefore no trouble.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3734 - 03/05/03 04:18 PM Re: sound blacks out
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I get the same thing sometimes while watching movies through via Dishnetwork...it's like my doctor use to say "you've got a bug"..it does not do it all the time so no big deal.

#3735 - 03/05/03 04:53 PM Re: sound blacks out
admiralchuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It happens most often(or most noticibly) when friends are over. Of Course.

Quote:
Originally posted by HI-FI:
I get the same thing sometimes while watching movies through via Dishnetwork...it's like my doctor use to say "you've got a bug"..it does not do it all the time so no big deal.

#3736 - 03/06/03 12:40 PM Re: sound blacks out
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Have you tried using the coaxial digital connection instead of the optical connection? I seem to remember a thread on this board not long ago about audio dropouts and there was talk about the Optical 1 input on a bunch of 1050s not working properly. That said, you might also want to switch to the Optical 2 input as a possible way to bypass this issue.

One other thing, you said you're using a DVD-Audio player. Most of those players contain a built-in DD and DTS decoder. If you truly believe the problem exists in the decoding inside of the 1050, you could always buy 6 interconnects, let the player do the decoding, and use the multi-channel ouputs of the player going into your 1050 using the 5.1 direct inputs. This would bypass all decoding inside of the 1050.

#3737 - 03/06/03 02:32 PM Re: sound blacks out
admiralchuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I use the cd player on optical 1. The dvd player on optical 2. Same problem on both inputs. When using the analog inputs on either player(that of course includes the 6 discrete inputs for dvd-audio) the problem does not happen. Outlaw seems to think that it is either a heat problem or a bad processor. They would like me to try ventilating the amp better. If that doesn't work, back it goes.
In terms of the coax cable, i tried in the beginning but found no discernable sound difference and didn't think it was worth the extra $$. It should work fine with the optical and I shouldn't have to bypass anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Have you tried using the coaxial digital connection instead of the optical connection? I seem to remember a thread on this board not long ago about audio dropouts and there was talk about the Optical 1 input on a bunch of 1050s not working properly. That said, you might also want to switch to the Optical 2 input as a possible way to bypass this issue.

One other thing, you said you're using a DVD-Audio player. Most of those players contain a built-in DD and DTS decoder. If you truly believe the problem exists in the decoding inside of the 1050, you could always buy 6 interconnects, let the player do the decoding, and use the multi-channel ouputs of the player going into your 1050 using the 5.1 direct inputs. This would bypass all decoding inside of the 1050.

#3738 - 03/06/03 02:47 PM Re: sound blacks out
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
In terms of the coax cable, i tried in the beginning but found no discernable sound difference and didn't think it was worth the extra $$. It should work fine with the optical and I shouldn't have to bypass anything.

Do you mean it still had the same "black outs" with the coaxial cable? In terms of cost, I currently use a Radio Shack "Gold" coax cable that cost me all of $14. It works very nicely in my arrangement.

I didn't neccesarily suggest the bypass as a permanent solution. It was more for the idea of trouble shooting where the "black outs" are coming from. If you didn't experience them using this set-up, then you would know that you have a problem inside the 1050 and you would have to send it back to Outlaw.

#3739 - 03/06/03 03:37 PM Re: sound blacks out
admiralchuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

didn't have the coax cable long enough to know. i'll try giving the unit more airflow as suggested by outlaw, but i have a feeling it will go back. it's been doing this for a long time but is now starting to annoy me. using the dvd players built in decoders works great(in fact, i thimnk they sound better than the outlaw's) but that leaves me with the cd player still. even though i should just use the dvd b/c it sounds way better than the cd, the cd is a five disc and is quite useful for that reason.
i really appreciate everybody's input.

AdmiralChuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Do you mean it still had the same "black outs" with the coaxial cable? In terms of cost, I currently use a Radio Shack "Gold" coax cable that cost me all of $14. It works very nicely in my arrangement.

I didn't neccesarily suggest the bypass as a permanent solution. It was more for the idea of trouble shooting where the "black outs" are coming from. If you didn't experience them using this set-up, then you would know that you have a problem inside the 1050 and you would have to send it back to Outlaw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts