Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#37075 - 06/07/02 08:42 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
My sacrilegious opinion is that *some* people prefer the Rotel simply because it's more expensive, and that's how they justify the higher cost to themselves...

My opinion!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#37076 - 06/10/02 08:13 AM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
I know that some folks have simply stated that they feel the 950 is bright, but the majority of the "bright" comments that I've actually read seem to have been made in the connotation of "brighter than the Rotel". Considering that to my ears the 950 sounds very neutral, I just read such comments as the Rotel is Warm compared to the Outlaws Neutral and that those folks prefer a Warm sound.

To each their own.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#37077 - 06/10/02 08:07 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
IMO, the 950 is not bright but is detailed and can be revealing if used with other revealing gear. Comparatively, the Rotel is warmer, but not so warm as the Ref 30 which in my opinion is somewhat veiled sounding.

When the Canadian government in conjuction with API tested the sound that most folks preferred, they found the sound most people liked best was of a slightly elevated midrange/upper midrange with a slightly rolled off treble. This sonic signature is not the most accurate, flat sounding audio but does sound pleasant and somewhat warm. Generally, tubed gear also tends to do this as well.

When folks compare the Rotel to the 950, IMO, they are probably choosing this warmer sonic signature to the more accurate detailed sonics of the 950... then again, maybe not???

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#37078 - 06/10/02 08:18 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
Mark Knight Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stuck in the Digital Vortex
Quote:
"If anyone has read Mark Knight's review at the HTF it should make you feel pretty secure in the 950 as long as they fix the hiss problem. In his opinion the main difference is upgradeability, not really the sound."

Yep, the 950 is one great sounding piece of HT gear and believe me, I would be keeping the 950 in my system had I not stumbled onto a 1066 for only a couple dollars more then the 950 as I am unemployed and have to really make my HT dollar stretch these days until I get my own business started and have money coming in again.

My 950 did not have a big problem with hiss but it was on the same level as my Sherwood Newcastle R945 and both had a higher hiss level then the 1066… but again you had to be up at the speaker to hear the hiss and I could not here any hiss once I moved away from the speaker. I did speak with the Outlaws today (nice bunch of guys) and it does seem like they have fixed the “hiss” problem. It would be nice to compare another 950 with the fix applied to the 1066 but alas my 30 days are up and shipping the unit back to the Outlaws cost money… which, like I said I have to watch closely these days.

Quote:
“My sacrilegious opinion is that *some* people prefer the Rotel simply because it's more expensive, and that's how they justify the higher cost to themselves...”

Since my 1066 was only a few dollars more then the 950, I can say for sure I was not swayed but this theory at all. As my review over at the HTF states”,

“Sound:..... OK then, onto the most important part, the sound: Both units sound very, very good and sound almost identical, with the Outlaw sounding a bit “brighter” then the 1066. The 950 might also have a bit more detail (my guess would be because of the DAC’s) but after switching back and for between the two units in 2-channel stereo using the digital output from the CD changer, I could not discern much difference if any. With 5.1/7.1, I also could not tell between the two units except with Gladiator in DTS-EX mode, it seemed a little “brighter” with the 950. Both units blow me away when watching all my favorite demo scenes from the best DVD’s. I can tell you it is not much fun switching cables back and fourth between them and trying to listen very closely to each unit while remembering the previous ones sound. I like the sound of both units and I think just about anyone would agree they both sound very good.”

I really do not think I could tell the two units apart in a double blind test with most source material. And I put the “brighter” in “” because I am not convinced myself that it is really brighter… it could just be that the unit is more accurate and passes the source signal more accurately making it sound to some ears “brighter” and/or the DAC's could be playing apart in this also.

Bottom line… You just can not go wrong with the 950 for the price the Outlaws are offering it for…. period.

That said… I really do love the Rotel 1066 (I will have both reviews and the comparison review of them on my web site once it is back up and running) and I must say, it is very cool of the Outlaws to let threads like this thrive on there own site. My glass (filled with beer of course) is lifted to them!

------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com
www.digitalvortex.com

#37079 - 06/12/02 04:57 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
Steve in Sterling Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sterling, Va
I got tired of waiting(and I only waited for 2 months) The 1066 is here now and available. When you decide that you want to upgrade your system...you don't want to wait months on a list. As of 6/10 the woman in the office "hadn't heard a thing" about more 950's coming in.
I don't hear any hiss with the 1066 so I'm wondering if it has to do with set-up,other equip etc. As far as bright vs warm, whatever is on the disk is reproduced - accurately I feel. Some stuff sounds bright even harsh and good recordings sound great. I like haveing the treble/bass knobs to fine tune the sound of each disk.
I'm sure the 950's fine.....it's just not available.

#37080 - 06/13/02 05:34 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Merc, interested study in Canada that you mention. The "temperature" of sound people seem to prefer definitely does vary by nationality and even race.

I've heard that Asian countries tend to prefer their music on the bright side while Americans largely (IMO) prefer the warmer and fuller sound. And the Brits seem to enjoy a dryer more analytical sound.

As I've spent more time with the 950, the edginess and brightness have receded and I'm starting to agree that the 950 is fairly neutral afterall, though still leaving out ambience, room acoustics, etc that I know is present in the source material. I think an infusion of warmth would be helpful there.

When I get more space I'll probably experiment with the Sony PT900 (or whatever model it is) to handle 2 channel duties. If the sony is as good as some say, this combo should substantially beat the Rotel soundwise for about the same price. The sound of the 950 for DD and DTS already is excellent IMO.

#37081 - 06/15/02 05:47 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
thekopman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Alhambra,CA,USA
Hi
I can't wait for 950 any longer, it's been too long. Do you guys know where I can buy Rotel RSP1066 for $1250-1300 within 2 hours drive from Los Angeles? Thanks,

#37082 - 06/16/02 01:37 AM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

Same issue. Anyone know of a Rotel dealer that will ship. Only one dealer (ListenUp) in all of Colorado. I'm fed up with them, won't buy one there. Went by today to give them another chance. They locked their doors and left AT LEAST 30 minutes before their posted closing time. Not the kind of 'local service' I want for my money.

[This message has been edited by bigmac (edited June 16, 2002).]

#37083 - 06/16/02 01:52 AM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Rotel has pretty much the opposite business model of Outlaw. Rotel dealers are pretty much given a fifedom in their own city. No competition from other dealers in proximity and no competition from the Internet (not allowed).

Though I've had some very good Rotel dealers (like in Seattle and San Diego) now that I lived in smaller cities they can act quite arrogant and unaccomodating. My local dealer allows for no more than a 3 day in house demo (absolutely worthless) and only sells the 1066 at full retail.

Though I'll likely go the 1066 route myself, I sure wish their business model was more like Outlaws. No middleman and 30 days in home to try.

#37084 - 06/17/02 01:32 PM Re: An evaluating decision. 950 Vs. 1066
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
Wow! Someone else has Ohm F,s. Ive got a pair now that needs repair and another Ohm F upgrades to a Walsh 5 with new cabinet venting etc and the ability to play much louder. They are power hungrey too? How does your F,s work as a surround. Are they high enough or do you have them elevated. John at Ohm wants me to trade in my old F's for a Walsh 100 or 200/300 whatever and have the tweeter mounted up . Said they have had good sucess this way as a surround speaker. I too am on the waiting list for the 950, but, I am very impessed with the 1066. Do you know any on-line dealer offering these at a good price/ like $1300? Thanks again! As they say at Ohm.. Good listening!

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 171 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts