Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#36939 - 02/18/02 01:38 PM Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
charlie Offline
Desperado

I know the 950 isn't even out yet ;-)

But since it seems to lack some critical features (for me) I'm curious when the PRD/FMR process for the rumored 'step up' pre/pro will begin. I would like to place my demands<<<<<<<< er, requests early in the process!

Charlie

#36940 - 02/18/02 02:00 PM Re: Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
No word yet that I'm aware of, but I got the impression from some past news items that they are hoping to include industry-standard DVD-A/SACD digital input on both the "step-up" pre/pro and the DVD player. In the meanwhile, I'd suggest cruising on over the "New Product Suggestions" forum and get a good list going -- I'm sure others will contribute (or better yet check out Matthew Hill's wish list and add in your "demands" ).

------------------
Gonk

#36941 - 02/18/02 03:57 PM Re: Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
ukexpat Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
No word yet that I'm aware of, but I got the impression from some past news items that they are hoping to include industry-standard DVD-A/SACD digital input on both the "step-up" pre/pro and the DVD player. In the meanwhile, I'd suggest cruising on over the "New Product Suggestions" forum and get a good list going -- I'm sure others will contribute (or better yet check out Matthew Hill's wish list and add in your "demands" ).

There is no industry-standard digital interface for SACD. Those digital interfaces that do exist for the format are proprietary to their respective manufacturers.

------------------
Nigel Pond
SMR Home Theatre
SMR Forums
SMR Group
HighFidelityReview

#36942 - 02/18/02 05:48 PM Re: Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ukexpat:
There is no industry-standard digital interface for SACD. Those digital interfaces that do exist for the format are proprietary to their respective manufacturers.

True. There's also no industry-standard interface for DVD-Audio (the firewire format that was announced recently still lacks an approved encryption scheme, from what I understand, making it largely useless as far as I can tell). But Outlaw has indicated that they hope the industry will adopt standards for these before they release the Outlaw DVD player and the high-end pre/pro -- which helps establish a time frame for the availability of such gear for charlie (in other words, not soon).

Note that while they have been fairly clear in newsletters in their desire to have digital output for DVD-A and if possible SACD, I don't think they've ever been as clear on the high-end pre/pro; I'm just looking at the evolution of the 950's feature list over the last couple years and guessing from some comments made about the high-end pre/pro. For all I know, they could be planning something else entirely.

------------------
Gonk

#36943 - 02/18/02 07:15 PM Re: Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
- which helps establish a time frame for the availability of such gear for charlie (in other words, not soon).

That's OK - the 1050 is working fine, I'm working toward using it as a pre/pro as time goes by, when that is done (I have amps in place) I'll be ready for something - 950, CinePro, cool my jets, whatever.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited February 18, 2002).]

#36944 - 02/18/02 11:23 PM Re: Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
vox Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake stevens, WA; USA
Charlie,
In the Dec. news they stated the high end unit was a year away, so I would assume Dec. 2002 release if all goes according to plan.

#36945 - 02/19/02 09:25 AM Re: Higher end Pre/Pro - any time line?
ukexpat Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by vox:
Charlie,
In the Dec. news they stated the high end unit was a year away, so I would assume Dec. 2002 release if all goes according to plan.

More likely to be officially announced at CES 2003 in January, so that hacks like me can stay up all night to have the details up on the web the next day!

------------------
Nigel Pond
SMR Home Theatre
SMR Forums
SMR Group
HighFidelityReview

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts