Quote:
Originally posted by Robert A Fowkes:
Sanjay,

I notice that you mentioned that I'm using the ICBM after the pre-pro and that you would never do this because of time alignment issues. While I don't share the same passion that you have for time alignment and its implications I can appreciate and respect your position.

However, let me clarify my use of the ICBM with the 950 a bit. Ideally, I would not have wanted to use the ICBM at all since the 950 offers bass managment internally. However, having both a 5.1 DVD-A player and a 2 channel SACD player (my Sony 9000ES), then without the ICBM I would have to choose which unit to connect to the direct analog inputs for bass management. (That's a bit like you asking me who my favorite grandchild is!).

I figured out a way to connect the ICBM after the pre-pro (as mentioned in the ICBM manual) for processing STEREO signals from the SACD player. First I pass the L and R front channels and the Subwoofer channel from the 950 through the ICBM. Then the four surround channels go directly from the 950 to their respective amps. Therefore, the issues you raised with time alignment and, more specifically, phase prolems introduced by the surround channels into the ICBM are not applicable here.

Would I prefer *not* using the ICBM after the 950? Of course, and for some of the very reasons you mentioned. The less pieces in the puzzle the better. But until I eventually get a single player for both DVD-A and SACD multichannel (like the new Pioneer or such) this at least gives me some bass management of SACD 2 channel sound.

I'm continuing to investigate some alternative ways to get energy to my subwoofers from SACD 2 channel without the ICBM and if I come up with any viable options I'll share them (probably over on the HTF since my time to surf all the sites is limited)

Take care.

Robert

If you are looking for a way to use your ICBM with a DVD-A and an SACD player, look no further than Shawn Fogg's switch box. I have one and it works like a dream: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/shawnfogg/

------------------
Nigel Pond
SMR Home Theatre
SMR Forums
SMR Group
HighFidelityReview