Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#36891 - 02/14/02 01:53 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Surr Rear: LB/RB bs(LB) none

What exactly does that mean? What does LB, RB, bs(LB) stand for? Is there a large/small setting for these speakers?

Thanks.

#36892 - 02/14/02 02:22 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Matthew -- Here's my guess (confirmed more or less by another beta tester yesterday): the "LB/RB" is "left back and right back" (7.1 speaker setup), the "bs(LB)" is "left back only" (6.1 speaker setup), and "none" is "none" (5.1 speaker setup). I suspect that these speakers are either always small or are covered by the large/small setting for surrounds (probably the latter), but without the manual we can't be sure.

------------------
Gonk

#36893 - 02/14/02 03:15 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Matthew,

I think Gonk is correct: the bs(LB) probably stands for back surround for those who will be using one speaker, and menu is letting you know that the sound will be output through the (Left Back) connection. This is been a pretty well established convention in audio hardware: if you are going to output (or input) a single channel, it is usually hooked up to the (white coloured) Left channel jack.

The only other thing that struck me as strange is that there seems to be no way of time aligning the rears at different distances from the sides; at least not on the menu info posted above. The 4 surrounds are treated as a group, just as they are when it comes to crossovers in the bass management. The latter is OK as it is not uncommon for someone to be using the same (or very similar) speakers for all 4 surrounds and therefore use the same crossover setting on both pairs. However, I've rearly seen a 7 channel set-up where the listener was equidistant from the sides and the rears.

_______
Sanjay

[This message has been edited by sdurani (edited February 14, 2002).]

#36894 - 02/14/02 03:24 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
This one will affect us. As our SL/SR BL/BR will be hung straight across the wall, (with the couch on said wall) Ideally I'd want those Backs doing something else, for the 'illusion' that their not 'over our heads'.
But you can't expect the sun/moon/stars when your getting the planet at a steal.

#36895 - 02/14/02 03:47 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Lena,

Any chance you can place the side surrounds on the side wall? If your couch is going to be against the back wall, having speakers on that wall might not do you much good. I mean, think about where those speakers will be pointing; who's going to be sitting at that location?

_______
Sanjay

#36896 - 02/14/02 03:53 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
However, I've rearly seen a 7 channel set-up where the listener was equidistant from the sides [b]and the rears.
[/B]

Yeah. I would REALLY like 7 independent adjustments. Grouping speaker size and crossover frequency makes sense, less so for rear vs. surround but it is defensable. In the real world placement is often a bit asymetrical and I think a pre/pro should be ready to compensate.

Charlie

#36897 - 02/14/02 04:23 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
anberg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYNY,USA
Does the 950 support stereo subs?

#36898 - 02/14/02 04:27 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
That's not been on any of the feature lists, and the back panel only has one sub output. However, the ICBM will let you run stereo subs if you put it between the 950 and the 770.

I think stereo subs are a VERY useful feature (also the option to have two subs configured as front/back) and have put it onto my wish list. I was really surprised when I found out the 950 wouldn't do this, especially as the ICBM does do it.

#36899 - 02/14/02 04:45 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Sanjay,

Actually the SL/SR are hung on the side walls about 12” from the back wall. Our receiver won’t run the extra speakers (we like to move them around while we can hear them) so the BL/BR are still in the box. They were probably going to be centered on the back wall. (still places the 4 surround, to close for my comfort) until,,,,
We stopped installing when we realized the whole room is basically on an axis, with the Set in a corner. So I suggested that we quit thinking in the box, and off-set, equidistant the FL/FR across the 2 cornered walls and follow this setup all the way back, This boggled my husband until I pointed out that the way we traditionally sit in this room, our heads are turned. End effect placing the back wall to our sides, so we might as well go with the flo.
We have ceased and desisted, waiting on components to play with the whole thing at once, HOWEVER this has left me in the interesting predicament of having speaker wire running all other the place, looping from the ceilings like some strange jungle. (He wants to do it all at once, he hates pulling thru the attic)
Even the teenagers who normally could care less are beginning to comment about the spaghetti, I guess that’s why my husband nicknamed me a ‘man’s woman’ years ago.
(Translation, I let him get away with a lot)!

#36900 - 02/14/02 05:06 PM Re: Beta Tester #3
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Actually the SL/SR are hung on the side walls about 12” from the back wall.

Lena,

Your husband is a lucky guy!

As for your future speaker set-up, if you can find a listening position where the 4 surrounds are equidistant (or as close as possible) from the sweet spot, then I think you will be all set. There's no way for the speakers to be time aligned with all the seating positions in the room, but at least there will be that one spot where everything (speaker distances, volume levels, etc) will just SNAP into focus. Great for wowing friends!

And don't worry about the mains and centre, as those can be separately time aligned and level matched on the 950.

_______
Sanjay

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts