Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#36836 - 02/15/02 08:42 AM Re: Lexicon MC-12 and the 950
ukexpat Offline
Gunslinger

Here's another interesting thought. At one time Dolby/THX were considering patent infringement action against all the non-licensed boxes which perform pseudo-EX processing. The reason is that EX decoding is patented (by Dolby) and there is a strong argument that any non-licensed EX processing is infringing the patent because it is a simple SR + SL = SB sum. I haven't heard much about that recently, but it sounds like CS' pseudo-EX processing might also be open to challeng.

------------------
Nigel Pond
SMR Home Theatre
SMR Forums
SMR Group
HighFidelityReview

#36837 - 02/15/02 10:10 AM Re: Lexicon MC-12 and the 950
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
"The 950/770 combo is cheaper than many of those mega-receivers; and I think it's a better value. Besides, the 950 is easily one of the most exciting products to come out in a while! Who wouldn't be following the drama of a piece of hardware that is about to shatter the price/performance barrier."

Exactly! I was pretty much ready to buy one of the "mega" receivers when I discovered Outlaw's offering. The 950/770 combo was just what I have been looking for. It makes separates affordable for me.

[This message has been edited by steves (edited February 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by steves (edited February 15, 2002).]

#36838 - 02/15/02 03:04 PM Re: Lexicon MC-12 and the 950
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
so I'm not sure exactly what "support" means.
Ellen.

It was pointed out at the beginning of this thread that Outlaw is using the same base DSP chip as the Lexicon MC-12 (a 10K product), some others noted that a lot goes on (and into the sound) with what’s done beyond the chip.

(Near as I understand)
That same chip, decodes the same basic info for both CO’s and also ‘supports’ Harmon using it for Logic 7 processing and Outlaw using it for CES processing (plus whatever else the chip "supports” and each manf. chooses to pay licensing fees to use, such as DPII).
Other manufactures purchasing this chip are not allowed to use this chip to produce Logic 7 as ‘7’ is patented by Harmon International who has never sold the license to use it in the industry.

Its a case of ‘one up mans ship’, and all the sound processing schemes (after the point of decoding truly ‘discrete’ channels separately) I would class as ‘pseudo’ sound processes, attempting to get more out of less, (matrixed channels out of discreet channels). And each new version on the market trys to better the last.
For Harmon I. this promotes people buying a HI product if they want ‘Logic 7’ which is a highly esteemed sound processor, this does not keep other manf. from trying to equal or better ‘Logic 7’ with their own versions of matrixed sound.
Logic 7 has been refined and perfected for awhile now, it seems to be considered one of the benchmark sound matrixing schemes, to try to beat. Outlaw has had great success (the 1050) with getting to certain sound benchmarks, via their own road, given time there’s no telling what they’ll produce as they seem to have already reached an (industry stirring) incredible quality for the price point. And many add, quality valued at any price point.

#36839 - 02/16/02 03:30 AM Re: Lexicon MC-12 and the 950
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

Very perceptive! It shows you are actually reading these comments. The problem with cross pollenation of these forum messages from one site to another is that some of the "inside" jokes sometimes defy translation. I'm trying to be very careful not to place any such cryptic messages in my general comments (like those on my HT web site.)

http://home.att.net/~rfowkes1/HT.html

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
No, vox, there is no firewire.

Take care.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 02/14/02)Now includes Outlaw 950

[This message has been edited by Robert A Fowkes (edited February 16, 2002).]

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM