Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36786 - 02/14/02 08:23 AM 950 - memorize speaker settings?
DougF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Does the 950 memorize speaker level settings? For example, if I like to listen to CD's with only L/R and Sub at a setting of X, but I listen to DVD with 7 speakers and Sub at a setting of Y, will the 950 remember these settings and change automatically when I switch from CD to DVD or do I have to reset the levels every time I switch.

Thanks

#36787 - 02/14/02 10:25 AM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
You can tell the 950 to always use a seven speaker processing mode for a DVD player, and to use just straight stereo for a CD player. Whatever processing you use with an input, it will stick with that mode until you change it.

It doesn't allow different volume levels when switching inputs.

My friend's B&K receiver allows you to adjust the level of each input, but I haven't seen anything like that in the 950 menus.

------------------
JeffLH

#36788 - 02/14/02 11:38 AM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
In my book, individual speaker settings are very important. I have an "old" H/K AVR 500 that does remember speaker settings for each input. This is something I use all the time. For instance, neutral settings for the surrounds with my Playstation 2 and TV input are a bit quite for my tastes (when the source is supposedly Pro Logic) while the Dolby Digital/DTS neutral settings are perfet. I really think that since this isn't included in the 950 it should be included in the up-coming high-end design. I can't imagine it is that hard to incorporate if it's in a $500 receiver.

#36789 - 02/14/02 01:49 PM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Add it to my "wish list" in the new products suggestions forum. It's one of the things I don't think I hit on yet.

#36790 - 02/14/02 02:37 PM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
DougF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

OK, I apologize for not understanding all of this stuff, but hey, I'm still learning.

So, the 950 will automatically switch from L/R + sub to 7.1 when I switch from CD to DVD.

But, it will not change the subwoofer level so if it set at "X" for CD it will stay at "X" when I switch to DVD. If I want it to be "Y" for DVD I will have to change it each time I switch.

Is this correct? ARe there processors on the market that will automatically switch the level from "X" to "Y" and back again when you switch between CD and DVD?

Thanks

#36791 - 02/14/02 03:36 PM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Doug,

One of the beta testers, JeffLH, posted the 950's menu screens. Here is the Input Configuration menu:

Input Config

Source: DVD
Input: Coaxial 1
Mode: PL2 Music
Treble: 0dB (+/- 6dB, by 2dB increments)
Bass: 0dB
Night: No Comp (DR Comp 1 to 4)

Return to Main Menu

As you can see, there are some parameters that can be set on a per input basis. While they're not the same as the speaker level settings that you were inquiring about, the Bass & Treble adjustments should help you somewhat tailor the sound of each input to your liking.

And yes, there are pre/pros and receivers that let you adjust and store more parameters, including speaker levels, for each input. But I don't know if any of them are at this price point.

_______
Sanjay

#36792 - 02/15/02 10:49 AM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Unfortunately, the bass and treble settings can't be saved per input. I had never tested that, but after reading Sanjay's post, I thought maybe it was something I'd missed...

Nope. I tried it this morning and the bass and treble settings are universal.

------------------
JeffLH

#36793 - 02/15/02 02:19 PM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
I tried it this morning and the bass and treble settings are universal.

Aw, man...! That's too bad. The fact that Bass & Treble adjustments were up in the Input Configuration menu gave me hope that they could be set on a per input basis. Oh well.

Jeff, are you sure they're global settings? I ask because the other items in that menu are not global (I mean, "Coaxial 1" can't be a universal setting for all inputs).

_______
Sanjay

#36794 - 02/16/02 01:30 AM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
Graham Perks Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
Surely this is a bug? It doesn't support different sub volumes for music vs HT? My old Denon 3200 receiver does that. I thought it was a standard feature!

I never run the sub at the same volume for music and HT - they are 4dB different in my setup.

This is a real deal breaker for me, as my main reason for getting a 950 was to finally get my sub sorted out, via the multiple crossovers. My Denon has the xover fixed at 80Hz.

Now the 950 will fix that but introduce another sub problem? Arrgh, how frustrating.

I really hope this report is wrong or that this is a bug that's been fixed.

#36795 - 02/16/02 04:33 PM Re: 950 - memorize speaker settings?
Brian Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Irving TX
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffLH:

It doesn't allow different volume levels when switching inputs.

but I My friend's B&K receiver allows you to adjust the level of each input,haven't seen anything like that in the 950 menus.

Jeff tell me I am wrong
Are you saying that speaker level(+ or - db)settings are not set for each input or DSP independent.This would be a major oversight of the 950 design if this is true.My current receiver allows different level settings for each input and DSP mode until I change them.Please Confirm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts