Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#36639 - 02/21/02 06:54 PM 950 volume knob question
charlie Offline
Desperado

I hate to even ask, but does the 950 have any of those odd behaviors (like the 1050 volume knob) that we're going to have to put up with?

Charlie

#36640 - 02/22/02 08:43 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
err ... what's so odd about the 1050's volume control and/or its behavior?

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#36641 - 02/22/02 08:59 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I understand it skips sometimes. Never happened to mine, though.

#36642 - 02/23/02 12:57 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Actually, on my 1050, it's next to impossible to turn it down manually. I happened to be right next to it the other day and listening to some music when I thought it was a tad loud.

Reached up to turn it down and it went up. Tried going slower, it went up. I then tried faster, but it kept going up. Even tried changing directions in the event my mind had completely escaped me, went up faster.

By now I've got the Offspring coming out of my speakers at about 70 to 75... do I think to just reach for the safety of the green button? Oh no, way too simple. Instead I start scrouging for the remote. Finally found it! Only then did it occur to me I had several options, including the stop or pause buttons on the CD player, mere inches from my face. Oh well, nothing damaged.

Just thought I'd share so y'all could learn from my lapse in reasoning!

#36643 - 02/23/02 01:09 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
charlie Offline
Desperado

Not to mention the 'mute' button was under your thumb while you were twiddling the volume...

Funny how it's so easy AFTER the crisis is over, huh?

Mine hasn't gone that crazy, but depending on factors I haven't been able to fully quantify mine goes from perfect to nearly unresponsive. The remote is perfect. I'm wondering if program matterial or mode plays a role. In DD it seems great, stereo ???, Pro Logic seems bad - I should experiment I suppose.

BTW - I was looking at the Anthem AVM-20 yesterday - the remote is oddly familiar.

Charlie

#36644 - 02/23/02 01:49 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There have been times in the past when my 1050's volume knob either didn't respond at all or responded in the opposite direction from what was intended. For some reason, though, I haven't had any trouble with it lately. Don't know if I've found the magic touch for it or what...

------------------
Gonk

#36645 - 02/25/02 09:39 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Owl's_warder,

So what's the problem? I thought that was the point of the Offspring. 70. . . 75. . .I think the 1050 was just going to eleven. . .you know, one louder! It was old Offspring, though, right? If it was the newer stuff, maybe 65 should be the limit.

Seriously, though, I think that issue will be there, unless the designers noticed the problem either here or from phone calls early on in the development. I imagine it is one of those areas where testing didn't reveal a consistent problem (as some people don't seem to have the issue) and therefore they left well enough alone. Just a guess. I hope for everybody's sake, though, that the problem was noticed in time. Or you're listening to music/movies that play well at mega-dB!

S.

#36646 - 02/25/02 11:41 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I haven't had any problems with the 950's volume control during beta.

I've tried spinning it quickly and slowly and it has always tracked perfectly.

I like the precision of it - you feel a little bump at every 1 dB increase or decrease as you turn the dial.

------------------
JeffLH

#36647 - 02/25/02 02:12 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
charlie Offline
Desperado

Things aren't always what they seem, but here goes....

In a past life I worked in real time software and industrial controls. This involved a lot of reading various sorts of encoders and writing to lots of output devices. The deal with the 1050 volume knob looks a lot like the processor missing volume knob encoder ticks.

This can be due to many things, but typically it is because somebody decided, either due to hardware limitations or laziness, to poll the encoder inputs instead of using a hardware counter or interrupts.

So if this is true I suspect the DSP getting busy for whatever reason would tend to make the volume knob less reliable. Again this is all SWAG, but it feels right.

Charlie

#36648 - 02/26/02 10:17 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
More about the volume control:

- It takes about 2.5 revolutions to go from min to max volume.

- The volume dial does not move when you use the remote control. (On my Yamaha, you can hear a little motor turning the dial.)

- When you turn the unit on, it comes back at the same volume as when you turned it off. Spinning the dial while it is off does not affect the volume when you turn it back on.

------------------
JeffLH

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts