Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#36659 - 02/27/02 03:25 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hey, Lena. If the power on volume is really this much of an issue for ya, could you just add a sequence in your macros? For example, turn on the 950, turn it down, then turn on other components? Never had a remote as smart as yours so I don't know if it'd work or not.

#36660 - 02/27/02 01:03 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
As a general rule, even in my pre-1050 days (motorized volume knob with a dot), I would lower the volume level to less than loud (on the 1050, around 25 or so). That way, there was no jolt to my system regardless of what I was playing.

The other option would be to set your macro up to mute the receiver on start-up. Then, if you so choose, you can check the volume and change it to your preference. Or, you could be real sneaky and program the power off macro to lower the volume prior to shutting the system off. I've found that macros make many of the problems encountered with home audio fixable with a little creativity.

S.

#36661 - 02/27/02 01:11 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
head out of Cosmo

Cosmo – Smamos. I did a stint of modeling years ago (Market Hall not print) and I hate that stuff!
Quote:
back into Guide to Home Theater

Yep that’s me, at the big family gatherings and/or events, you’ll find me with the guys talking aviation, not with the manicure crowd. (mine are consistently broken from horses and garden)
Tim, the Tool Man is one of my heroes; the trouble he gets into makes me quite fond of him, as its rather reminiscent of my own husband!

Kidding aside:
I really could look at a broad, (price) range, but as I’m new to this, and love a bargain. I have settled on Outlaw as a great, medium for my learning curve. If my own ears agree with the hype, I think it’s an excellent choice. I feel in my first peek into this industry (all of audio/video), that the change of pace in technology is far too aggressive and unstable in the tech, particulary in infor chain, ie,firewire,Ditg. out copywrite hitch, decoders for HDTV, COFDM vs 8-VSB etc. The other day I read, (I believe maybe Audio Engineering Society or such) right now, the “Media moguls are eating their own young”.
I’m not saying I won’t make a purchase based on the I don’t care, I like it now theory, (I can impulse buy with the best of em!). But I’m trying to be cagey and wise in this new arena.

I am too much the Neophyte, to worry right now about some of the time delay etc, issues. (I know, I know, I should, but a few things at a time) But Volume, now that’s something I understand. Every purchase design has tradeoffs. Right now my husband has pushed me to buy a new car, but they just don’t make what I want. (A cross, between a Vette, Austin Martin mixed with Minivan, PU, Hummer!) And no, the volume tweaking is definitely not an issue alone to nix a purchase.

Owls Warder, good point and actually the entire reason I posted my gripe, to see what back door method of dealing with this (issue for me) might have been achieved by any of you. I can’t recall absolutely, but its seems I played with volume settings in my macros a year ago when I set it up, and twasnt allowed. I’ll look up the manual and try to verify this soon.

#36662 - 02/27/02 01:36 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
Desperado

Sandman,
We were real time typing together. I will pull that manuel soon and check that out. If I play with the command timeing chain, (if it will control volume there, can't REMEMBER) and place a voloume down in a couple of spots, that might do the trick.
My macros are set up where you hit the one button to power up the 1/2/3 main choices. and the same button tapped again powers it all off. (KISS for the kids)If it can volume down, first and last step in the macro, just might....

#36663 - 02/27/02 02:13 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
The other option would be to set your macro up to mute the receiver on start-up. Then, if you so choose, you can check the volume and change it to your preference.

Sandman: This makes a lot of sense, as I don't think the 950 has an ON button on the remote. The POWER button only turns the unit OFF. Per one of the beta testers, to turn the 950 ON you simply press any of the INPUT buttons. So instead of having a separate macro for each input, it seems much easier to program just one macro: something that will drop the volume right before turning the unit off.
Quote:
And no, the volume tweaking is definitely not an issue alone to nix a purchase

Lena: That's good to hear. I think the 950/770 is an incredible value. You're right, the change of pace in technology is far too agressive and unstable at the moment. This makes going the separates route a much more attractive proposition; certainly more attractive than some of those ridiculously high priced receivers that are out there. Years from now when you've outgrown the 950 (and you will outgrow it), the only change you'll have to make to your system is replaceing the pre/pro (which is the part of the audio chain where the technology is moving the fastest). Your amps, speakers, etc, all will stay in place.

_______
Sanjay

#36664 - 02/27/02 03:54 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
Desperado

I guess my bottom line would be (regardless of feature set) and the Beta Testers are very encouraging here:

Can it make me catch a breath, when I'm alone and crank, The Piano "The Heart Asks Pleasure First", - or on a single Violin note, held and spiraling up...

Then I’d be a happy camper abit!

#36665 - 02/28/02 05:53 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Lena,

For that new car you should take a peek at a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited February 28, 2002).]

#36666 - 02/28/02 08:32 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
Desperado

Thanks Bstan,
I'll take a look at it. My husbands pushing for the vette, but I just can't figure out how to stuff trees and manure into it.

#36667 - 02/28/02 09:06 PM Re: 950 volume knob question
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
SLL:

The new 9-5 Aero is nicer, but the Audi A6 Allroad is much cooler. It would be my manure hauler of choice: A screaming 2.7 turbo engine, adjustable ground clearance, Quattro all-wheel drive and loads of room. Only a bit more than the Saab, but still less than the 'vette.

And don't forget the extra-cool Xenon (HID) headlights.

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#36668 - 03/01/02 12:28 AM Re: 950 volume knob question
Desperado

Yep. When you have to haul manure, its best to haul it fasssssst.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM