Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36583 - 02/10/02 11:36 AM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
All of the things you are talking about are measurable. Different cable mediums will hae different properties, including transmit speeds. But the transmit speed differences would be so small that imaging would not be affected. There are other differences that could cause an audible difference.

Even if you were to assume that you could create sub-microsecond delay into a system with a 10' longer cable, the variance created once the signal is turned to sound waves and passes to your ears would be far greater.

brianca..

#36584 - 02/10/02 12:59 PM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
rcaudio Offline
Gunslinger

I've never seen a wire as slow as 30% of C. I don't think your referring to copper wire. Most interconnects are 70% to 80% of C. That's still at least 210 million meters per second. Even at 30% of C that's 100 million meters per second. We are talking LFE audio which is at most 150-200 Hz (Bose). You'll get bigger offsets from the speaker positions themselves than from miles of interconnect delays.
Imaging and soundstage? I'd be more concerned with the cheap amps used for the built in subs.

#36585 - 02/10/02 07:41 PM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
widget Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St Louis MO
....cheap amps used for built in subs.

Ouuuuuuch!!!

#36586 - 02/10/02 10:55 PM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
rcaudio Offline
Gunslinger

You're right, did I write that. That 5-10 nS of difference in delay will kill the imaging of the deep bass much more than a class D amp with $15 worth of parts.
I know nothing of Def Tech products other than where they are sold. Speakers have a huge markup. How do they compare with ACI's lineup sold online only? Are they class D or maybe a "sunfire" amp? In any case the power supply of a decent amp is not very practical in a speaker and not that cheap. The amps themselves are pretty cheap with a good 400+ watt amp setting you back less than $200, parts cost. All that brings the cost up to a point most consumers won't spend on speakers. That's why class D is attractive. In all fairness the distortion at 80 Hz and below is pretty high on even the most expensive speakers and will swamp out any non-linearity from whatever amp is driving them, aside from tubes of course.
I was really pinging Slick1964 on his comment on delay and imaging. Deep bass is pretty much non-directional therefore imaging and soundstage are irrelevant as pointed out in a previous post. None of this is really helpful to the original post so I will go back to lurking.

#36587 - 02/11/02 12:41 AM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
Slick1964 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Marietta, Ga.
I will just keep quiet then (of course after I say one more thing!!!)!! All I know is what I have audibly experienced in the past! If you want to quote specifications and data I can do that as well. After all, I have an engineering degree! In fact, by all specification accounts most solid state amps will outperform vacuum tube amps. I feel that (unless your speakers are inefficient and have varying impedances through their frequency response) most 'tube' amps are superior to solid state in terms of pleasurable sound quality! I come to this conclusion after auditioning various solid state and vacuum tube amps over the last 25 years. When I first started my journey in stereo I would (and did) quote specifications and data, and wound up buying solid state equipment against the recommendations of my dealer and my ears. I had just graduated from engineering school and all that was important was statistics! I now know better! What a true audiophile learns to do is to listen with their ears and not their mind (which is full of 'useless' specification and data). Facts and data are great for initial designing of equipment and structure, but for fine tuning one must use their heart and soul, not their head. Once your heart says 'THIS IS GREAT' then invite the head to the party so it can figure out why 'THIS IS GREAT' and apply to future experiences and pass this experience to future generations and try to statically explain why 'THIS IS GREAT'!
Anyhow, what do I know? I am just an old coot who wants great sound and a chance to pass down my experiences to others interested in this obsession! My experiences dictate that it is best to eliminate any unnecessary variables from any equation, especially if the cost and effort is minimal. Using the same type and length of cable would fall under this category! No since in tossing in one more unknown into an untried system unless substantial cost savings can be reaped. And yes, my ears have told me that in fact these cabling variables DO matter, although my head agrees with you.

#36588 - 02/11/02 01:55 AM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
widget Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St Louis MO
I'm not sure how the DT's compare with the ACI's. Many people seem to like the ACI's though. I must admit, I didn't really compare the 2000's with many other speakers. I bought some DT BP10's about 8 years ago and have been very happy with them. Believe it or not I've been happy with the sound quality and the sound stage (bi-polar) just using two speakers. I know I have been missing a lot, especially since the advent of DD and DTS ect. I'm finally ready to take the full surround sound plunge!!! Hence, my interest in the 950 and outlaw amp combo. Needing more bass and more speakers (10's going to the rear) I ordered the 2000's along with a matching center channel. I feel like I got a decent "deal" on the speakers, 30% off list. I was happy with the non-powered 10's and have very high expectations for the 2000's, as I have not heard them in my room yet. After I decide (and purchase) the "components" that will actually drive the speakers (and my bank account fills back up) I'll add some side speakers for 7.1. My impression is that the outlaw products will have outstanding performance and a great price! Now to the matter of speaker wire length. . .

#36589 - 02/11/02 12:33 PM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
Slick,

I agree that cables make a difference and not all of those differences can be shown on a scope. If that's the argument you're making, you should say that it effects the sound but not cite measureable reasons why (time delay). When you say that the sound change is due to time delay in the longer speaker, you are saying that it is measureable, unless you are saying that signal speed can't be measured.

brianca..

#36590 - 02/11/02 12:58 PM Re: 950 and Def Tech connection options
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I wonder how much out of phase it takes to hear the difference. If it were only a small portion of the actual wavelength, then the number would get smaller, of course. When thinking of the system as a single sine wave, it is un-likely, but what about the fact that the system is an extremely layered complex sine wave? How would this minimally existent phase shift change the result?

You would also have a (very small) change in resistance, inductance and capacitance. How would these very small changes effect the flow of energy? Would the resistance of the longer wire change the parallel flow that much? Would the capacitance of the shorter wire change the reaction of the crossover? Who knows.

A gut feeling would be to say that none of it really matters at all and you could indeed have a 1 foot wire running in parallel to a 50 ft wire. But if some people hear a difference, and they might, then why not just say forget it and get speaker wires that are the same length. Its not that hard and it in fact would be insurance, as you have reduced the variation of more properties, even if that variation would be nearly impossible to quantify.

S.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts