Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36321 - 01/31/02 07:43 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You've got the receiver - pre/pro difference down, but I think we need to throw away the terms "discrete" and "matrix" for a minute -- they're just getting in the way.

The HK AVR8000 is, at least to my knowledge, pretty unusual in the presence of 7.1 surround decoding and only a 5-channel amp. Very strange, indeed. You are correct that if you took an AVR8000 home and tried to hook seven speakers up to it, two speakers would be SOL.

Decoding:
The beginning of the current surround decoding approaches is Dolby Digital, which is a 5.1 system. For our purposes, let's round down on all of this and set the ".1" aside (it can keep "discrete" and "matrix" company in the corner, as they're just cluttering up the party). Dolby Digital (or DD) had five channels: left, right, center, left surround, right surround. Each channel got a separate and distinct signal (the left and right surrounds were playing different things). DTS is basically the same. Back in 1999, Dolby and THX came up with Dolby Digital EX for movie theaters; it added a "rear center" speaker (going up from 5 to 6). This appeared in home theater as THX Surround EX, which is 6.1 -- when it is listed as 7.1, that just means that there are two speakers playing the 6th channel. Outlaw's Model 1050 can mimic THX EX with a proprietary system, which they call Surround 6.1 because they only have a connection for one rear speaker. There are several other systems available now, but they're just doing the same thing in different ways.

Hardware:
A pre/pro will have "pre-amp out" connections (where the pre-amp will output the speaker signals to a separate amp; the speakers would be connected to the amp). For a "7.1" pre/pro, there will be 7 pre-amp outs and one output for the ".1" that we chased off earlier. You would need either one amplifier with 7 channels (one per pre-amp out) or several amplifiers with a total of 7 channels; each channel would then be connected to a speaker. The ".1" goes to a powered subwoofer; unlike the other speakers, it comes with it's own amp, and it's just there for low frequency stuff (to put the "oomph" into the explosions).

How are we doing, Lena? You've definitely got your hands full -- this is a lot to get your hands on at once. You sound like you're catching on, though.

------------------
Gonk

#36322 - 02/01/02 10:51 AM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
The connection you need to connect the pre/pro to the amplifier is a standard RCA cables. Outlaw's PCA cable is one of the better ones out there, but you can also get them at Radio Shack. You need one cable per channel; they're usually sold in pairs. It's also the same cable you run to your subwoofer, only shorter.

#36323 - 02/01/02 02:41 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
ukexpat Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
The connection you need to connect the pre/pro to the amplifier is a standard RCA cables. Outlaw's PCA cable is one of the better ones out there, but you can also get them at Radio Shack. You need one cable per channel; they're usually sold in pairs. It's also the same cable you run to your subwoofer, only shorter.

Traditionally in the two-channel world a receiver also included a radio tuner (that's what made it a receiver}, whereas an integrated amplifier omitted the tuner, just switching sources and preamping.

#36324 - 02/03/02 04:30 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Had to go off a bit, thanks everyone so much!

Must be so dense I'm missing something on the back of these units. The 770 is a 7 channel amp right? And somewhere on something I've seen the the 8 outputs listed in the 770 stats. (7.1) makes sense to me there is a connection out for 7 speakers & one LFE.

But when I'm looking at pics of the back of the 950 should'nt I be seeing 7 or 8 connections, listed "prepro OUT"? As in the Pioneer (8) and not on the HK (5) (I know the Pion/HK are receviers and not pre/pro)

Dosent a pre/pro still need to have the 8 connections "out" to the amp to be 7.1 channels?
Something I'm not spotting on the pics of the back of the 950.
The 950 is a 7.1 pre/pro correct? So are the connections made diffrently than on the 2 mentioned recievers?

(..the brick wall is beginning to retain the imprint of her forehead.....)

#36325 - 02/03/02 04:50 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
If I understand your question correctly, the outputs are there. They are on the bottom right and are listed as "output."

They are Front L&R, Surr L&R, SURR Back L&R, center, and Sub. Those go to the amp.

Is that what you were lookign for?

brianca..

#36326 - 02/03/02 05:24 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Brianca is correct about the pre-amp outputs on the 950 -- the "7.1" feeds 7 full-range speakers (which needs an amp) and 1 subwoofer (which has an internal amp). The bottom right of those 8 outputs goes to the subwoofer. The other seven would go to the 770, which is a seven-channel amp.

------------------
Gonk

#36327 - 02/03/02 05:35 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
Desperado

Thanks Brianca..

That must be it. In the written FAQ for the 950 they don't list outs, (mainly "inputs" stats). Whenever I pull up the back pics for the 950 and enlarge (where i can read labels) I am losing the entire right side of the picture (won't load) so I could'nt find them. (That section, in miniature, did not click that it had 8 outs, I thought it was something else)
Since the husband dosent have time to look at stuff now. (keeps saying, "when I see the backs then I'll know) I need to figure out the interconnects shopping list now so that if the 770/950 ship somewhere together, we will be ready to roll on hookups. The old system was a receiver with 5.1 speaker setup so we will be short on connections.
The old Pioneer DVD player I'm running, is DV-C302D. (And I'd rather keep it till firewire & DVD-A/SACD sorts out on mutlifuntionial players)
Am I correct in what I'm trying to absorb that to have the decoding preformed in the 950, I want to order 1 Digital cable for the out from the DVD to the 950 (vs 5.1 analogue out) and that sound wise the Coaxial Digital is preferred by many over the optical?

(Are you guys just born with the electronics handbook included, or is it that I just never cared to look before!)
I do know I can learn though, I'm the only one in this house of males that knows how to program the learning remote. Me & my remote are a package deal!

#36328 - 02/03/02 06:36 PM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Try this picture and scroll over to the right (it's really wide). You can see the "Output" plugs.

You're getting a 950/770? You'll be adding two speakers, I'm guessing, so you'll need speaker cable for them. If you already have a powered sub, there's no need to change anything there. You will need 7 analog audio cables to connect the 950 to the 770 (assuming you get two new speakers -- if you don't add any speakers, you'll need 5 cables). You can get Outlaw's PCA interconnects; they are one of the best values in interconnects I've ever heard. As for the DVD player, your DVD player has both coaxial and optical outputs, so you can use either. I have also heard that coax is better than optical, but I've had a hard time proving it to myself.

------------------
Gonk

#36329 - 02/04/02 12:42 AM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
Desperado

Yep! 950/770 combo.Been all over map shopping hi-end/used, latest tricks 'ultra 2' on pioneer, but so far keep coming back to Outlaw. Since we haven't upgraded in many years, was tempted to the high-end, but what I see on horizon, tells me that would be throwing my money away on the first 1Gig CPU for 1K when 3 months down road, it will retail 350. Too much playing out, firewire vs the IE..B version coming, (will connectors even be same) DVD-A vs SACD vs combo unit, new digital guts/tech in everything from speakers to players. I was attracted to Lexicon & Bel Canto but I don't want to be shipping things back & forth for upgrades, rather just buy it new fairly loaded, since many changes are in works. The pioneer became attractive because it was status quo, I need to get to furniture store for the seperates with Outlaw. My antique won't hold an 80 pd amp. Hve decided Outlaw is best use of funds for mondern convenience's whether I feverishy upgrade for years or just want to keep it awhile.

I am awfully impatient though, and hard part will be staring at the 950 box with no amp, Boy I hope the 770 is on ship target. Right now I'm just killing time learning this brand new world, but all info I pick up backs the Outlaw choice for me right now.

??I did a quick glance at THX Ultra 2, really not much on it except at THX site, it seems at first glance not too much of a change on the multichannel variations as Pro Logic 2 dicussions talk as if that is a larger leap forward in that arena. Does anyone know if the Cirrus Surround Modes, Cinema & Music are the proprietary equivalent of THX Ultra 2, cinema & music modes or different intent/animal entirely? (Curious)

Yes Gonk, I've already got the 7.1 setup with new wire, and got so tired of sorting out THE BIG WIRE DEBATE, I'm not even going there on interconnects. Just going to trust you and what I learned about quality/sturdy built terminations and go with the Outlaw brand. DONE

Now I just have to get a list made. Gonk if its not too much trouble I saw where someone posted their HT connection capabilities and you gave them a shopping list. In the next few days if I can pull my manuals I'll post that and ask for help if you don't mind terribly?

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers"!! and I apologize for my site handle "Smart LL"....Funny name for someone who just learned the diff between pre/pro & receivers etc. I own horses, and while staring at the blank 'user name' line for a sec, becuase of the "Outlaw Logo" that name jumped to mind. "Smart Little Lena" was a stud in my area, the 2nd top earning NCHA sire in record, he was a 1 Million + syndicate, who overcame some 'odd's' when he was young.

Thanks to ALL

#36330 - 02/04/02 12:46 AM Re: 950 channels? (hardware vs decoders)
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think the 950/770 combo is a good choice compared to some of the other things you were looking at (of course, I'm also on the 950 waiting list and already own a 750, so I may be a bit biased...). It sounds like you've got the speakers covered, but if you need a hand putting together a shopping list for other wiring needs just toss up what all you're connecting and we'll see what we can come up with...

------------------
Gonk

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts