Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#36292 - 02/01/02 03:45 PM 7 Analog Inputs?
Indysolo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just read the FAQ and it mentioned that that the 950 has 7 analog inputs. The "CD" and "Tape" inputs and then the 5 "Video" inputs. All this time I've been looking at it, and seeing the "Aux" connections on the back thinking they were inputs. Now I guess they are outputs for a multi-room set-up. Is this correct? Is there such a demand for multi-room capability that it needs to have 2 outputs? I'd love to have another "high level" input so that I could plug in a phono pre-amp. I guess now I'll have to hook up my CD player to one of the digital inputs and connect the the phono pre-amp into the "CD" analog in. Bummer. I'd gladly sacrifice any multiroom capability for more analog inputs.

Neil

#36293 - 02/01/02 04:04 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Based on pictures of what is apparently the final hardware, the 950 has 9 analog inputs: CD, Tape, Aux1, and Aux2 (all four apparently without video inputs -- be careful, that's a big image file), and DVD, VCR, Video1, Video2, and Video3 (all with composite and S-Video inputs). The only multi-zone output is a stereo analog "zone out" beneath the composite and S-video monitor outputs.

------------------
Gonk

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited February 01, 2002).]

#36294 - 02/01/02 04:10 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
The 7 inputs they refer to are A/V inputs, as opposed to 2 audio only inputs (CD & Tape). Of the 7 A/V inputs, 5 have composite & s-video connections while the remaining 2 (Aux 1, Aux 2) will use the component video inputs.

_______
Sanjay

#36295 - 02/01/02 04:33 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm looking forward to getting a look at the manual to determine how the component video switching works. The picture of the back of the unit has the two component video inputs labeled as "DVD" and "Video1", which still leaves Aux1 and Aux2 seemingly audio-only. If the component inputs are assignable like the digital inputs are, you could easily assign them to those two inputs and use the other video inputs with composite or s-video.

Oh, here's a quote that may help Indysolo out on what the inputs are -- an exerpt from this article: "In addition to four optical and two coaxial inputs for digital sources assignable to any of the five A/V inputs, the Model 950 includes four pairs of audio-only analog inputs for legacy devices such as tape players and phono preamps."

------------------
Gonk

#36296 - 02/01/02 04:44 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
How to other pre/pros & receives handle the component inputs? I always assumed they were assignable, like the digital inputs, and would take the place of a composite/s-video plug pair.

Interestingly, if they were assignable... and you had one component video input assigned to "DVD" and one optical input also assigned to "DVD," you'd have both the analog audio and composite/s-video inputs for "DVD" unused. It's a shame you couldn't use that for a 10th input.

#36297 - 02/01/02 04:56 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
Indysolo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks a lot for the quick replies! I appreciate it. I'm glad there are extra audio inputs. I couldn't deal with not being able to listen to my records.

Neil

#36298 - 02/01/02 05:10 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
In addition to four optical and two coaxial inputs for digital sources assignable to any of the five A/V inputs, the Model 950 includes four pairs of audio-only analog inputs for legacy devices such as tape players and phono preamps.

OK, I think I know where the "7 inputs" figure that Neil and I remember came from. The last spec sheet I'd seen was this one, which said: "Seven A/V inputs, all with S-Video, Dedicated 'audio only' inputs for CD and Tape." Thanx for the link to the newer FAQ.

_______
Sanjay

#36299 - 02/01/02 06:03 PM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
So I guess two S-video inputs got lost somewhere along the way.

But what do you do if your CD player has an on-screen display? I guess I have to connect it to "video 2" or something. I wouldn't care if I could rename the input.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#36300 - 02/02/02 01:23 AM Re: 7 Analog Inputs?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
So I guess two S-video inputs got lost somewhere along the way.

Well don't just stand there, look for them!

_______
Sanjay

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts