Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#36229 - 01/23/02 10:38 PM Video bandwidth of component in/outs
SteveD Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I use a HTPC to drive a front projector. Will the component in/outs support transmission of a 720p/72fps (1280x720) source input?

Also, I am wondering if the the 950 supports conversion from analog (composite/SVHS) video inputs to the component output?

Thanks, Steve

#36230 - 01/23/02 11:10 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The component video switching is designed to support HDTV bandwidth. I haven't heard anything indicating if it'll convert composite/S-Video inputs to component or not; the manual should appear before the 950 starts shipping, and should answer that question.

------------------
Gonk

#36231 - 01/24/02 02:05 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I read somewhere that the AT P2000 would convert S-video to composite and vice-versa. If so, then I'd assume that the 950 will as well since it's basically the same device. I can't remember where I read this, though.

Of course, whether or not the comb filter in the 950 (if it has one) is better than the one in your TV would depend on your TV.

#36232 - 01/24/02 02:07 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
I would highly doubt that it does any conversion. I haven't really seen anything that does the conversion process without a separate box. I doubt this will either. It wouldn't really buy you anything anyway since the signal degradation while fairly slight would still exist in the conversion process not to mention that s-video doesn't transmit as clear a signal well as component anyway. I can see that you may not have the inputs on your display to run component and s-video or easily switch between them. Without a separate switch box
(expensive) I don't see a way around it.

------------------
Stott

#36233 - 01/24/02 02:26 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
gonk Offline
Desperado

S-Video to composite and vice-versa is possible, I believe. I seem to remember a comment in the early write-ups for the 1050 indicating that it lacked this feature because of cost involved, but my memory on that is vague and fuzzy. I would think that S-Video/composite to component (SteveD's original question) is very unlikely.

------------------
Gonk

#36234 - 01/24/02 04:06 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Of course, to me the most useful feature would be if it could convert composite to s-video or component, and s-video to component. Not because it would increase picture quality, or because I lack inputs on my TV, but because it would let me run a single cable from the 950 to the TV, and because I'd never have to hit the TV/VIDEO button to switch between the myriad of inputs on the TV. Just switch the audio input on the 950 and the TV switches too.

I don't see any use in being able to downconvert signals, except if you maybe wanted to connect the 950 to a very old TV that didn't handle S-video. I don't see that being likely, though.

But then again, if the 950 had a really really high quality comb filter, there's the possibility it could do the job better than your TV could and would therefore actually increase picture quality.

I doubt the 950 will do this, given its price point, but maybe the high-end pre-pro will. Do you think they'll call it the 850?

Another useful feature. Composite and S-video inputs for ALL audio inputs. I don't know about you, but my CD player DOES have a video-out jack. No, it doesn't play DVDs; it uses it for on-screen menus only.

#36235 - 01/24/02 04:19 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hudsonville, MI, USA
I'm almost positive the new flagship receivers upconvert to component video.
Check out the Denon 5803 and Pioneer Elite 49tx specs for confirmation of this.

#36236 - 01/24/02 05:22 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
gonk Offline
Desperado

It took some digging, but I did just find a blurb on page 18 of the Pioneer Elite 49TX manual that does indicate that is has a "video converter" that will pass any video input (composite, S-Video, or component) to the component video output. It can't down-grade from component to S-Video or composite. This link confirms that the Denon 5803 will have the same capability. Very interesting -- good call, kenty.

That still leaves the question of the 950's capabilities unanswered, but we should find out one way or the other when the manual becomes available.

------------------
Gonk

#36237 - 01/24/02 08:20 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
I still doubt the 950 will have it. That is an awesome feature that I would also like to have. I must have overlooked that on the Pioneer/Denon or I just didn't see it in the baseline specs when I glanced over them last. Hopefully something we can all look forward to on the next outlaw prepro and remain hopeful for on this one but again I doubt it.

------------------
Stott

#36238 - 02/01/02 02:14 PM Re: Video bandwidth of component in/outs
ukexpat Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by stott:
I still doubt the 950 will have it. That is an awesome feature that I would also like to have. I must have overlooked that on the Pioneer/Denon or I just didn't see it in the baseline specs when I glanced over them last. Hopefully something we can all look forward to on the next outlaw prepro and remain hopeful for on this one but again I doubt it.

Video format conversion was not mentioned at the Outlaw press conference at CES nor was it in the press materials. If it had been I would certainly have mentioned it in my report: http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2002/home_theater/page_01.shtml

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts