Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#36219 - 01/31/02 03:27 PM AT Receiver
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Anybody read this page?
http://www.gspr.com/AT_P_2000.html

It's got a list of featuers the AT P2000 will have. some of those are decidedly NOT on the 950's list. Do you think the 950 will actually have these features? If not, then I guess the P2000 is more than a 950 with a nicer faceplate.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#36220 - 01/31/02 03:48 PM Re: AT Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Which features are you thinking of, Matt? The "Theater Compensation" circuit isn't something I've heard the 950 having and I hadn't heard anything about NTSC/PAL on-screen menu compatibility, but otherwise it looks to me like the same feature set.

------------------
Gonk

#36221 - 01/31/02 04:18 PM Re: AT Receiver
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
For one, it mentions an optical encoder with a volume control... for two, there is the S-video to composite conversion... Then there's the stuff like the multiple power supplies and the gold-plated terminals... I don't remember seeing anything like that in the 950's specs.

#36222 - 01/31/02 04:53 PM Re: AT Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Ah-ha! I was just reading the article, didn't see the feature list at the bottom. Hadn't there been talk that the 950 may include S-Video to composite conversion? The picture of the 950 looks to have gold-plated terminals (they look pretty yellow, at least). The power supply stuff is new, but it's also a longer list than Outlaw has created (and the interior pictures look identical) -- it may be just that their marketing people went for more of a "laundry list" effect. Is the "optical encoder volume control" the volume control for the system (I'm not familiar enough with the term "optical encoder" to know what they're referring to, but it sounds like maybe some fancy double-talk for "we have a really cool volume control knob")?

I missed that list entirely, and there is some interesting stuff in there, but there is still nothing yet that makes me think the P-2000 is anything more than a re-packaged 950. I've been wrong before, though...

------------------
Gonk

#36223 - 01/31/02 07:09 PM Re: AT Receiver
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Optical encoder is just a glass disc with lines on it and a light beam passing through it to a receiver. It creates a pulse with each line. In my line of work there are 1000 some lines or 2000 some lines. Using this is better then a rheostat or other contact style device. They don't have any physical wear and they last a long time. That's the very simple laymans explanation.

m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#36224 - 01/31/02 07:46 PM Re: AT Receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Excellent, m-mmeyer. That must be the method that they are using to get input from the volume knob. Wonder if the 1050 is the same way?

------------------
Gonk

#36225 - 02/01/02 12:39 PM Re: AT Receiver
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
If I am correct, the majority of components today are using the optical encoder method. It can't be a rheostat, as you can turn the knob 'round and 'round until you turn blue in the face! A lot of car stereo's with knobs use them too. I think the 'wild volume' incident can be related to this as well. You have to calculate both the number of pulses and the direction of pulses. For a project I did where I designed my own encoder (LED’s and a wheel), you put 2 LED’s in, one to 'count' and one to determine phase. The high end encoders, like on CNC machines are quite accurate, but cheap ones, like in your mouse or possibly the volume control, might occasionally misunderstand the phase difference if you turn the knob very fast.

I definitely think its the way to go, as I think the occasional volume change problem is worth a non-contact, minimal wear solution.

S.

#36226 - 02/01/02 01:06 PM Re: AT Receiver
Brian Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Irving TX
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
[, Matt? The "Theater Compensation" circuit isn't something I've heard the 950 having "

[/b]

In the updated faq 1/28/02 the 950 is listed as having a cinema re-eq feature.At the bottom of the page they have mentioned that THX is a trademark of Lucas Film.Does anyone know if a re-eq without being a THX certified would require Outlaw to mention THX trademark credits.This 950 is getting better all the time!!Maybe I will just ask Scott,he has answered every question so far promptly,night mode(yes),remote(Home Theater Master sl8000).Outlaw has earned my buisness!

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited February 01, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited February 01, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts