portapot Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: White Hall, MD 21161
I am having my basement finished and have purchased the following speakers

Definitive Technology:
(3) UIW 75 - Front RL and Center
(2) UIW BP/A - Rear RL
(1) 10" Sub

I'm not real concerned about 7.1, 5.1 is fine for me. I will be buying a NEC or Panasonic 42" Plasma- haven't decided yet. I have done a lot of research on Amps and receivers...this is the tird system in my house, the other two use A/V receivers. I am going to go with separates for the first time and I am a complete novice. I have made my mind up to go with Outlaw and anxiously await the 950 release.

Here's where I need help.... Can I run the 950 through the 750 AMP without issue? I realize I would be giving up the channels needed for 7.1, but I really don't care about 7.1. I want great music and solid Home Theatre performace. What perplexes me is that the Amps look like they only have one RCA input per channel while the pre-amp has two. Remember I'm a novice...How would the interconnects work from the 950 to the 750 and what cables are required?

Thanks everybody for your feedback!

------------------
Peace....out

#36177 - 01/25/02 01:58 PM Re: Outlaw Novice - Need Help
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 can be hooked up to the 750 fine -- it's what I plan to do when I get mine. The 950 has 8 pre-amp outputs -- left, right, center, surround left, surround right, surround back left, surround back right, and LFE (subwoofer). Here's a large picture of the back to refer to (someone came across this during CES and posted it here at the forum, and it looks to be essentially the same as the final hardware based on the pictures Outlaw put on their site earlier this week) -- note that there is a second set of connections above the outputs that are inputs for something like DVD-Audio, which may have been hard to tell in a smaller picture. You will simply not connect the surround back speakers to anything. Grab some 0.5m PCA cables from Outlaw (the "short stack" gives you six of them for $80 plus shipping) or some 1.8m PCA's if you need the length, and just connect the five outputs that you are using (left, right, center, left surround, and right surround) to the 750's inputs.

------------------
Gonk

#36178 - 01/25/02 02:10 PM Re: Outlaw Novice - Need Help
portapot Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: White Hall, MD 21161
Gonk you are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you very much for the assistance. Now if we could just get our hands on the 950...luckily my basement won't be ready for 2 more months, or so they tell me. They better not take as long as the release of the 950.

It all clicks now that I can see the markings. There is a one to one ratio between outputs on the 950 to inputs on the 750 for 5 channels. I thought the 950 had 2 outputs for one input on the 750.

I'll take you up on the cables. Thanks Again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM