Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36122 - 12/30/01 04:32 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
Audioholic Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MI
I'm currently using an Acurus A125X5 with my receiver providing amplification for the center rear surround. Once the 950 arrives I may look for a good used Acurus 2-channel or I may just use my Yamaha B-6 (it's 200 wpc & fairly compact). Depends on how much free cash I've got whenever the 950 is released and/or how big a 2x4 the IRS uses on me this year.

#36123 - 12/30/01 05:38 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
Cball Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oklahoma City, Ok
I'll be using 2 Acurus 200x3 amps.

Craig

#36124 - 12/31/01 01:28 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
I'm going with the 770- even though I will have to wait a little longer to get my amplification and get set up. Hey- it comes with a circuit breaker!- now that's hard to beat!

#36125 - 01/01/02 08:24 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
BigJeff Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
I have a set of power hungry Carver AL-III+'s that need some serious power, so they get the Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 2-channel. I am thinking of going with the 5 channel 750 or the Acurus 125x5 for the rest.

Jeff

#36126 - 01/02/02 07:42 AM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
hiltsy855 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Iowa
I'll be using Marantz MA-700 (200 wpc) monoblocks all around.

Mark

#36127 - 01/02/02 04:30 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
scubadj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I'll be using a Parasound HCA 855A. Probably will look for another parasound when I decide to go to 7 channels.

#36128 - 01/04/02 06:20 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

I've got 2 Audiosource AMP 7's for my mains and rears (200W x 4 @ 8 ohm total), and one AMP 6.3 for my two subs (~250W x 2 @ 4ohm).

They all use higher power digital Tripath chips than are used in Bel Canto's EVO amps -which are currently regarded by many pro reviewers as some of the very best amps being made.

Too bad Phoneix Gold just bought Audiosource and when they re-tesed these new amps, they found them to have some RF interference and pulled them from the market, but you can still find some if you search the online stores -and they're real cheap too.

I have zero problems with them though, so I'm keeping'em (they said the RF prob. might effect radio signals, but I don't listen to that compressed ad-filled junk anyway). I could always shield them myself if I needed too. Obviously Bel Canto does this well enough in their amps.

There's nothing that's adversely effecting the amp's sound at all ('sept a ground loop hum that's easily fixed).

Extremely accurate.

They've got very good power supplies and are ~90% efficient, so it's very good power sup. is actually equal to about double it's size in any analog solid state amp.

And even when cranked, they stay cooler than my DVD player! Great for AZ in summer!

Now I just need a great signal from a new 950!!!

My Denon rec. -as preamp- is pretty weak overall, but when I run my DVD player directly into one AMP 7 -(using the DVD player as preamp) it sounds AWESOME with CDs (though no subs in the mix that way)! HUGE diff.

I'm sure the 950'll sound even better, and with bass managment!!

Now ship it!!

And don't delay another 6 months just to add firewire inputs! Just kiddin'..., I don't think that'd happen.... I hope!

#36129 - 01/04/02 10:08 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
tcouture Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, NC
Since it is pretty useless to know the amps without knowing what the source is and what they drive, here is my whole setup:

- Lexicon MC-1 Pre/Pro
- Arcam DV-88 DVD player
- EVo 200.2 amp for the fronts
- Anthem MCA-5 Series II amp for the rear, sides and center
- Newform Research R645 fronts, R630 rears
- M&K Surround-200 MkII sides
- Soundline Audio SL6-5 center channel
- SVS 16-46CS Subwoofer
- Silversonic and Nordost cables, monster power regulator

I am pretty eager to see what the 950 will sound like... I currently am thinking about ditching the MC-1, so if the 950 is good enough it will stay, if not, I'll get the MC-12 and keep the 950 as a "gap" preamp - for these situations where I have a hole in my system while upgrading something - maybe I'll get a separate pre-amp just for music, who knows. But, let's get back to the amps.

The Bel Canto is *AWESOME* musically, it really works well with the R645, the soundstage is amazing. BUT, it won't hide anything coming from upstream, so much that is why I am ditching the MC-1; it just isn't that good for music - it is great for home theater but I now want something that has support for progressive signal for video switching and analog bypass so I can use the DAC in the Arcam (which is very good musically) without involving the pre/pro. I just hope that the 950 analog path is pretty neutral.

I use my setup for a lot of movies, about 4-6 DVDs a week... I am a very "visual" person so, during a movie, I tend to focus more on the picture than on the quality of the sound so I loose track of the "system" itself fairly quickly - could be because the sound is so good. What really gives me a hard on though, is listening to classical music; whoaaa, It's all about hearing the silence baby! The Bel is awesome for music, but I could not afford to have all channels with that. I guess you have to choose your battles.

I think Bel Canto now have a 6 channel unit but as a downside, they are fairly expensive. However, I am VERY impressed with the Anthem, I wonder why they are not getting more positive press, they make a great product all around - it sure makes the Bel look cheap... I compared the MCA-5 to a Bryston 9B-ST THX in direct A-B comp and to me the Anthem just sounded better and was also cheaper (can't beat that), the Bryston has a better design from a power supply standpoint but real-life, I could not hear it, even when driving the system hard. Anthem now have a 7 channel unit, the PVA-7 - that would fit perfectly for a 7.1 setup. If money was no object, I would have 7 Bel Canto's in mono configuration ;-)

I have never heard the Outlaw amps, I learned of the company after I bought the Anthem so I never gave them a shot - I definitively would have since they have a money back trial period. The fact that the 950 is going to be tuned with their amps *could* also be a plus. I listened to Aragon, Parasound, Bryston, NAD, Linn and Anthem. I really wanted to listen to Acurus, Proceed and Odyssey amps but could not find them when I was ready to buy, the Anthem turned out great anyway. Meridian, Levinson and Krell were out of my range. The Bel was an impulsive buy, I wanted to see what the hype was about (no comments please).

I must admit it sounds pretty good so far so I probably won't make many changes for a while except on the pre-pro side - I am still trying to find the *elusive* perfect dual purpose home theater AND music setup...

Don't forget to take the speakers into account in your choice since their power rating, their senitivity and the listening level you intend to drive your system at can have an effect on what you will choose for the amp. Do not overlook the power source and the cables - no need to go esoteric but home depot zip cord can't really be considered seriously.

That is why it is so hard to get a good system together, there are WAY too many variables and, past a certain point, it is VERY subjective. Comments are always welcome.

But enough ranting, I never expected this to be that long.

Good luck,

T.

[This message has been edited by tcouture (edited January 04, 2002).]

#36130 - 01/04/02 11:33 PM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
ltkhuc Offline
Gunslinger

i've been thinking of rotel 1095 & 1080 (5x200 & 2x200) for my future 950. this is because i want to place the two channel amp close to the two rear surround speakers. has anyone tried rotel with their outlaw 1050? lk

#36131 - 01/05/02 12:16 AM Re: 950 buyers-would amp/amps will you be using?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I would agree with you 100% on the Anthems very nice. I know some one who has them and they are a very nice amp. I dont have room for one yet but you never know.

m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM