Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35985 - 12/15/01 06:16 PM 950 with DVD-A/ SACD multi-channel digital inputs
g_tyler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chestnut Ridge, NY,USA
The new 950 sounds amazing, but I'm wondering what will happen when the PTB (powers that be) finally agree on some copyright scheme for multi-channel digital signals for DVD-A and SACD. Won't the 950 need to be upgraded? I guess the 950's DACs can handle the bandwidth, but I don't see how that will be enough to support an encryption scheme or whatever they come up with. And what are the chances that a firmware upgrade will be sufficient?

Seems to me if Sony gets their act together quickly with a decision on this, they just might put SACD on top after it was almost out of the running! Maybe they've learned something from the BETA-VHS war.

#35986 - 12/15/01 11:56 PM Re: 950 with DVD-A/ SACD multi-channel digital inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I may be entirely wrong on this, but this is my understanding of the situation: when the Powers That Be allow a digital output from DVD-A/SACD players, the 950 will be stuck right along with nearly every other existing pre/pro and receiver that will have to continue to use an analog connection (a few exceptions may exist here, as some high-end pre/pros have enough modularity that they may be able to be upgraded). The as-yet-nameless Outlaw high-end pre/pro will likely not appear at all until an agreement on this issue is reached, so that digital DVD-A/SACD input can be included. The combination of the new digital interface (which will likely not be the standard coax/optical digital connection, but probably firewire or something similar) and specialized encryption (which will almost certainly require some new hardware to handle) should make a simple software fix impossible.

As for the victor in the DVD-A/SACD war, I was initially skeptical of SACD but am currently not sure where it's going to go (I haven't heard either, but will probably start poking around into the possibilities next year). It may take a few more years to determine a winner, if there is one even then. I sure wouldn't count either format out of it yet...

#35987 - 12/16/01 08:25 AM Re: 950 with DVD-A/ SACD multi-channel digital inputs
wangotango Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ft wayne indiana
it is all for not if there is not software to run on the players.the formats will die if there are no titles to play on them.

scott

#35988 - 01/05/02 08:38 PM Re: 950 with DVD-A/ SACD multi-channel digital inputs
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

I own an SACD player (sony 9000ES). It has a high quality DAC of its own, so presumably I would go audio by-pass out anyway. Or will I be missing out in some way by not having a digital connection? Assuming the DAC's in player and processor are equal?

And for analog out, are there still bandwidth issues?

Thanks,
Larry

#35989 - 01/05/02 11:21 PM Re: 950 with DVD-A/ SACD multi-channel digital inputs
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
It appears that an agreement on the digital output of DVD-A signals has been reached.

Look at this discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103175

#35990 - 01/09/02 10:27 AM Re: 950 with DVD-A/ SACD multi-channel digital inputs
quattro Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: White Bear Lake, MN
Thanks for the link to:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com

That's a great site! You're right about software availablity, if you're not a classical or jazz music fan, you have very limited choices.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM