Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#35975 - 12/22/01 04:06 AM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
For me it is #1,#4 and the great value you are getting for a quality component-not to mention the 30day money back guarantee.

------------------
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#35976 - 12/24/01 10:24 AM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
kuzia Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Like for any audio equipment the biggest selling point should be audio quality. There are tons of recievers arround. which do have gazzilion features and still sound like crap. If sound quality is up to Anthem or B&K (I assume direct competitors of 950), then Outlaw is great bargin and superbuy. If sound quality is lower no amount of features can compensate it.

#35977 - 12/24/01 06:16 PM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
If sound quality is up to Anthem or B&K (I assume direct competitors of 950), then Outlaw is great bargin and superbuy.
Kuzia: The Anthem costs $3500(w/DPL2) and the Ref 30 costs $2500(without DPL2)and you want a $900 unit to equal their performance? Wow! If that happens, Outlaw will certainly not be able to build enough of these units to keep up with the demand and both BK and SF will sell no more units? Even the rich folk care about getting their moneys worth, I'm guessing?

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#35978 - 12/26/01 01:19 PM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
kuzia Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

merc,
this is what "great value" is. If 950 sound quality is subpar compare to B&K and Anthem, then what kind of value is it? In one of my rooms I do have 3 year old H/K AVR-65, which does have DD,DTS, 5.1 input and pre-outs, bass management (which you can setup independently for various speaker groups AND inputs/decoding modes) and amp section to boot. The whole enchilada now can be had for ~$250. Why would I change it? BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP! The main reason people going into separates is sound quality. As far as features, Technics receiver will have more features then BAT preamp, but it does not necessary makes it a better product.

I am looking for 950 to provide comparable to B&K sound quality, and based on attention to details they demonstrated in 950 development cycle I believe they will!

#35979 - 12/31/01 06:02 PM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
ltkhuc Offline
Gunslinger

1, 4 and 13 seem to be the most important items. however, i'm concerning about item #9. if i hook everything up, all the dig. inputs will be all gone. i wish it had some more. ugh.
ps: and it is upgradable too!!!

#35980 - 01/05/02 08:14 PM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

I agree that the new formats and features such as dpl2 and 7.1 are important. But I also agree that if the overall sound quality isn't up to snuff, the features it has won't be worth much to me.

Kind of like a car. CD Changer, heated seats, navigation, all wheel drive, etc. are all on my shopping list, but if the car doesn't drive well I'll look elsewhere.

As someone mentioned, the reason we're in seperates in the first place is for the sound. For that one reason we've opted to invest more money, and eschew the convenience and features of one piece receivers.

Its gotta sound good, baby!

#35981 - 01/08/02 06:01 PM Re: What are your reasons to buy the 950?
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
Like others have said-- if it sounds like a $900 piece of equipment then where is the intended value for the money? What then is the point of having an Outlaw Audio in the first place?

You would think it could and should sound more like a B&K or Anthem (if not better if they're using a more straight forward/simple design w/ cleaner soldering and noise free power supply and proper shielding) since they are selling direct without going through a dealer chain which includes markup. A well thought out design which is produced enmasse (so batch prices are chopped) can sometimes yield a better result than a poorly conceived and engineered HT-boutique priced product that was created in limited quantities.

The prices Outlaw sells for should be basically dealer cost given to us directly.

I'm guessing if that was the case then a $900 Model 950 unit maybe should be equivalent to a $1,500 - $2,000+ piece depending on relative dealer markup.

The proof is in the listening and thorough, professional testing of the Model 950 when it is finally released.

--------------

My initial reasons for wanting a Model 950 are the features (namely DTS-ES, DD EX, ProLogic II, and adjustable bass X-overs) and potential sound quality for the price.

Besides, I currently have two processors (one for straight DTS, which is a very limited first generation Millennium 2.4.6 with a noisy relay, but overall good, clean sound from its simple/clean design and Burr-Brown pro-DACs, and an all-digital input Sony ES for Dolby Digital/ProLogic that does have adjustable bass paramenters, AC-3 LD RF demod., and an EQ, but has a noisy power supply and runs damn hot).

Those two create a huge rat's nest of various interconnects due to the fact I have one decoder for each format and the requirement of an outboard A/D converter and digital output format converter. With the Model 950 my system would be a hell of a lot simpler and less messy.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited January 08, 2002).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM