Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35914 - 12/30/01 12:09 AM 7 channel and dts
ltkhuc Offline
Gunslinger

i'm wondering how will the two rear channels of the 950 handle the rear signal from dts discs? would everything go to either the left of right speaker or will go to both? hope my question is clear enough thx.

[This message has been edited by ltkhuc (edited December 30, 2001).]

#35915 - 12/30/01 12:14 AM Re: 7 channel and dts
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hudsonville, MI, USA
Along those lines-there was some discussion on the the 7-channels, and I'm not quite clear on how that will work, I was hoping someone could shed a little light. I know the 950 has 7 channels, but what isn't clear to me is how effectively the two rear center channels would be used by the 950? Like the previous poster I was wondering if in a standard 5.1 mode, the Surround information just gets duplicated to the center channel on that side? Similarly, in 6.1 mode, do both rear center speakers get the exact same information? I understand how the Lexicon Logic 7 processing splits the information into 7 discrete channel and the 6.1 matrixes the right and left rear channels to produce the rear center surround, but if I understand correctly, the 950 doesn't come with any 7 channel modes such as Lexicon's Logic 7. As you can see, I'm confused and kind of talking in circles-forgive me it's late
Any enlightening on the subject would be appreciated, as I'm considering the 950/770 combo, but would like to understand the features better before dropping that kind of money it.

Thanks in advance,

Kent

[This message has been edited by kenty (edited December 30, 2001).]

#35916 - 12/30/01 12:25 AM Re: 7 channel and dts
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know if a definitive answer is known yet (the beta testers likely know, but they're sworn to secrecy). Unless the Cirrus Extra mode or DTS:Neo6 provide 6.1/7.1 on DTS material, though, I think the rear channels will only get info from DTS tracks when the DTS tracks contain it (DTS-ES) -- in which case there would only be different info sent to each channel if it exists; otherwise, they'd both get the same signal. The user's manual should appear on the Outlaw site shortly before the 950 ships, and if past manuals are any indication it should spell all of this out pretty clearly.

------------------
Gonk

#35917 - 12/30/01 09:33 AM Re: 7 channel and dts
ToddB Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I don't know if this helps, but Scott said that the 950 will have 5.1 and 7.1 stereo modes. Im sure that if the 1050 does 5.1 correctly by splitting the signal, that the 950 will work the same way. Wouldn;t you think so?

#35918 - 01/02/02 12:23 PM Re: 7 channel and dts
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
All of the "official" formats beyond DD and DTS are only 6.1. DD EX and DTS ES are 6.1 formats with a "matrixed" back surround channel. This 6th channel is extracted from the L&R side surrounds like the center is from the mains in Pro-Logic.

DTS ES Discrete is also a 6.1, but the rear channel is discrete and does not depend upon the side surrounds.

7.1 usually refers to taking the single back surround channel and splitting it into two amplifiers and two speakers. This is done to enlarge the sweet spot for the listeners.

Any 7 channel "modes" are propriatary DSP processing that makes 7 channels from 2 or 5 discrete channels. They can be nice, but are not built into the software.

5.1 and 7.1 stereo modes is just a way to take a 2 channel source and pipe it though 5 or 7 speakers to fill the room (good for parties). No processing is involved. They just take some or the right channel and pipe it through the right side surorunds and the same for the left side. The center is a L&R blend. Nothing magic here, just room filling sound without distroying the original 2 channel imaging.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM