Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35899 - 05/16/01 11:43 AM Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
David Olstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York, NY USA
I looked at the pictures posted on the Home Theater Forum and noted that the prototype has 4 optical digital inputs and only 2 coaxial digital inputs. Most of my digital equipment has coax digital outputs, and I've read that coax digital connections are supposed to be better than optical.

Perhaps it's cheaper for you to include optical inputs instead of coax inputs on the unit, but it'll end up costing me more if I have to buy a coax-to-optical converter or a digital switcher. Please consider including more coax inputs -- at least on the high-end preamp/processor (I assume the 950 is the lower cost model).

Also, the 950 doesn't have a built-in RF demodulator for AC-3 laserdiscs. Would you please consider including this feature on the high-end model?

I also saw a button in one of the pictures that says "stereo bypass". Does this mean you are providing a two-channel analog bypass in addition to the bypass available through the 5.1 input?

Finally, I read that DTS has now come up with a way to encode 5.1 channels of 96/24 audio on a DVD movie soundtrack. Will your preamp/processors be able to decode these soundtracks at their full resolution?

#35900 - 05/17/01 01:21 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
Avi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA
David,

I don't want to get into religious issues, but from what I've read, optical and coax sound the same. Optical has the added benefit of eliminating ground loop hum problems, so when I have a choice, I go optical. (Of course, if you have three components that only have coax outs, the 950 just won't work for you...)

-avi

#35901 - 12/26/01 10:55 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
den gearhead Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Monica, CA, USA
Nothing religious about this topic. Fiber may look cool but copper carries music better. There is no comparions, coax sounds MUCH better than optical.

-den gearhead

#35902 - 12/27/01 11:32 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
I've missed seeing info on the 950 remote. I'm considering buying the new HTM 500 remote, but I see the 950 remote will have 4 buttons for macros. Can anyone give me more info? Should I delay buying a new remote?

------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

#35903 - 12/27/01 12:18 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
If the data signal is a digital stream copper shouldn't sound any different than fibre. If there is a difference to be heard it is probably the coax acting as an antenna or the equipment doesn't work equally with both. The digital spec doesn't allow much leeway though.

------------------
Stott

#35904 - 12/27/01 12:41 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't think there's much available on the 950 remote at the moment. I'd probably hold off a few weeks at least; we should know more soon.

#35905 - 12/28/01 08:41 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Premp/Processor
Stunr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: london, Ontario, Canada
I fail to see the reason for the 4 optical 2 coax. Putting aside the argument over which is better as one that can't be won by either side. Almost all the gear I see has coax only outputs..yes there are some products with both or only optical but the vast majority has coax..which is why I dont understand the deision...wont stop me from purchasing but it is curious

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM