Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#35865 - 10/07/02 05:02 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
R.Bauer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
This topic is going in a 'slightly' different direction than what I hoped for ;-)

I am aware of the fact that one ('s ears) can get used to a different sound during some time, but when I mentioned the lack of depth and and harshness I found it out with simple A to B comparison with my old DAC + preamp. It is also well known that (electrolytic) capacitors tend to 'perform' better after 'some' working hours. I was hoping that other people have found similar results. My remark was also aimed at people who (mis)judged their 950 immediately after unpacking. Problem is, this 'evolution' occurs only once, and cannot be repeated again.
Loudspeakers exhibit the same problem, due to the suspension of the drivers beeing a bit 'stiff' and need time to reach their final 'stiffness'.
So anybody else want to let know after how much hours of playing time their 950 reached its maximum in audio-performance? I still would like to hear from other people.

Regards,

Reinier Bauer
http://beamer.xs4all.nl
P.S. my car is running fine!

#35866 - 10/07/02 10:43 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
I agree with what you are saying Reinier in that a little time on the 950 may make a difference. I did notice some of what you are saying when I first installed the 950. But any "harsh and flat with no depth" sounds went away after calibration, small changes in speaker placements, and some other minor room tweaks. I attributed any changes I noticed to the above, but I would not rule out the "burn-in" theory. I'm on the fence when it comes to this issue, though, I just don't know.

#35867 - 10/07/02 11:27 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
"This topic is going in a 'slightly' different direction than what I hoped for ;-)"

It seems all over the net 950 threads never go the direction you intended. At least you said it with a smile!

#35868 - 10/07/02 12:36 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Although the instant-on feature of the 950 (just like my TV has) may mean it is on always, anyway, at least to some extent, as long as it's plugged in.

The circuits that have to do with sound quality or lack of it are probably powered down when the 950 is in sleep mode. They would probably have just enough circuitry alive to respond to the green power button being pressed.

I wonder if a little bit of current might also run all the time through some other circuits when in stand by mode, as is done for TV's, or not.

#35869 - 10/07/02 02:04 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
anberg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYNY,USA
I don't know anything about capacitors or internal combustion engines, but I can say my 950 sounds better 2-3 weeks after I got it. It wasn't in continuous service, so I can't give you hours. I can also say this is consistent with my experience with a number high quality CD players--you open the box turn it on and think "what have I done?" and after a few weeks they smooth out.

#35870 - 10/07/02 02:20 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
I have heard stories where dealers refuse to take returns until after you listen for a few weeks because they think as you listen more to the electronics, you will like it more. The theory being the ear likes sounds it is familiar with and recognizes.

Another spin is the ear over time gets "educated" to better sound. The ear "learns" to like familiar sounds.
Quote:

It _is_ also well documented that ears are very easily fooled, probably more so than our eyes.

Let's not forget the nose. If something smells bad at first the nose is offended. Later, the nose loses sensitivity to the smell.

It's a real blessing when around smelly diapers!

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 07, 2002).]

#35871 - 10/07/02 08:27 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
My 950 sounds better after 2 weeks, because I finally figured out a lot of the quirks the remote has...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#35872 - 10/07/02 08:42 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by R.Bauer:
This topic is going in a 'slightly' different direction than what I hoped for ;-)

Sorry I get distracted easily. I guess if I had a 950 for awhile and then traded it in for a red dot or something, I would be able to hear a difference. But when I got my 950 I spent a lot of time trying different things, settings, cables, speaker placement, trying to figure out the remote, etc. I don't think I had the where-with-all during all of this to notice a change, that I believe, would be very subtle. If you add to the equasion that the change occurs over many hours of operation and the possiblity that some people may have changed out additional components such as DVD players and amplifiers. Well, I don't think you're going to find many who notice this difference, although I am sure it exists to some degree.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#35873 - 10/07/02 11:25 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
Scot Kight Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Hill, VA USA
Way OT: The reason your "dealer friend" said to not worry about breaking in the car is the motor is cold run in at the factory. This solves many of the issues related to valve seating etc since they run a specific set of liquids in the engines for a set amount of time. Say 12 hours. Then put in the normal liquids, gas it up and run on a dyno. Then put the engine in the chassis and drive it on a test track.

In the old days, you might even find machining shavings in the oil or in other places when you get your car.

As far as breakin for equipment goes. I think there is a definite difference in sound new vs been there for a while. I just turn it all on, leave, and come back 3 days later after trips and it sounds great.

#35874 - 10/07/02 11:32 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
"after burning it in with a dvd on repeat..."

has anyone checked the temp of their 950 who leaves it on like that? mine seems to run HOT. i keep it in standby when not in use for this reason.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts