Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35819 - 11/07/01 12:50 PM Dolby Digital EX
Brian Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Irving TX
Kudos to Outlaw for holding the 950 preamp release for the inclusion of Dolby Digital EX.Let me be the first on the list of people waiting to be on the list for the 950's release.Most companys would have shipped what they had and released a new model with EX the following year,Outlaw has earned my respect as a company that cares about the consumer.My order will be placed A.S.A.P. Thanks Outlaw

#35820 - 11/07/01 09:49 PM Re: Dolby Digital EX
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I agree 100%!

#35821 - 11/12/01 06:55 AM Re: Dolby Digital EX
kjohn Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I totally agree and they have earned my order and respect.

#35822 - 11/13/01 11:47 PM Re: Dolby Digital EX
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Count me in as another who agrees with Outlaw's decision.

------------------
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#35823 - 12/17/01 01:06 PM Re: Dolby Digital EX
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
My only problem with this is the following:

Theoretically, there is no difference in the decoding algorythm between the "official" Dolby Digital Surround EX, and whatever Outlaw was already doing, i.e., Dolby Digital matrix 6.1.

So I am left to believe that they are simply using this as an excuse for *other* issues that are causing the 950 to be late.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited December 17, 2001).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#35824 - 12/17/01 01:31 PM Re: Dolby Digital EX
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Theoretically, Kevin, you're right. But there are two compelling reasons to try to include the "official" DD EX that I think are the true reason Outlaw held out for DD EX in the 950.

1) I'm going to assume that Dolby and THX are fairly protective of their decoding algorithm, and likely to sue anybody duplicating it outright. Therefore, the 1050's "Surround 6.1" and the 950's original 6.1/7.1 decoding had to be done based on the fact that Dolby and THX were using a matrixing scheme similar to the familiar Pro-Logic -- starting from the same origin and Dolby and try to come up with your own (mostly) compatible approach. For those two reasons (secrecy of specific algorithm and patent protection for Dolby and THX), Outlaw's older schemes of 6.1/7.1 would seem to have to be different.

2) While THX-EX remained limited to expensive THX-licensed gear (and Outlaw has been fairly clear over the years that they have no interest in adding the expense of THX certification to their products), Dolby Digital EX will quickly find it's way into a lot of upcoming products. Including it in the 950 will help keep it competitive with next-year's gear. Sure, the old decoding might have been able to compete in terms of performance, but it will be very valuable to be able to have true DD-EX rather than an "equal to" (which can easily be construed as "cheap knock-off" in some consumers' eyes).

I personally don't think the Outlaws used the announcement of DD-EX as an excuse to cover up problem. I think they made a good (if extremely difficult and inevitably hotly-debated) decision to try to include it. I can guarantee (speaking as a design engineer of a very different sort) that plenty of their designers heard the DD-EX announcement and had two reactions: first excitement ("Cool! We've been waiting for that for 3 years!"), and then horror ("Oh, sh*t... Are we going to have to try to cram that into the 950? We just finished it!").

#35825 - 12/17/01 05:13 PM Re: Dolby Digital EX
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Different? Yeah, probably. Better or worse? Who knows?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts