Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35736 - 10/14/04 03:45 PM Night Mode and Theater Compensation
Scott Offline
Desperado

If a product had both, but one could be switched on either by a direct access button on the remote or through the menus, and the other required going into the menus to turn on or off, which would you put on the remote?

We'll pick one of the Outlaws who responds and send them a DVD. Don't forget to leave a post in the thread so we know who voted!

Thanks for your input on this!

The Outlaws
Night Mode and Theater Compensation
Only one choice allowed (20 total votes)
Night Mode - 15 (75%)
Theater Compensation - 5 (25%)
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago

#35737 - 10/14/04 03:53 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't typically use either of these so they tend to fall into the same general category for me, but I can see a direct access button for theater compensation potentially being used more often. Either way, the loser probably shouldn't be buried too deeply in the menus.

By the way, cool little contest, fellas.

#35738 - 10/14/04 03:55 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
AGAssarsson
First post
Voted for Night Mode
I don't want to accidentally be in TC Mode and not know whats going on for some time of listening. I have kids who press every button they can reach...

Allan

Gonk... you beat me to the first post, well I guess it had to be you. It had to be yooooouuuu.

#35739 - 10/14/04 03:57 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
I hadn't used either until one night a few weeks ago, my wife had gone to bed early and I was watching Ghostbusters on dvd... in that case I used Night mode to reduce the chance of waking her up...

I'd say that if you're watching something and don't want to disturb someone, hitting a "night mode" button would make much more sense because it could be turned on or off quickly (like right at the start of a loud passage)

#35740 - 10/14/04 04:06 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sorry about robbing you of first post, AGA. wink

#35741 - 10/14/04 04:22 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I would think once set, theater comp. would be left alone. I have, more than once, needed to set night mode on, only to have to go up to my 1050 to engage it, so I say put night mode on the remote.

Gonk........it's all you, baby!!!

#35742 - 10/14/04 04:35 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
For me, Theater Compensation, whether or not certain frequencies are de-emphasized during theatrical release viewing, is something that I choose based on how my system sounds when set for movie watching. Once I have determined whether TC on or off is best for my particular setup, I wouldn’t tend to change that setting unless I had made a change in my system. The exception comes when there is a DVD with audio mixed with such compensation already in place. I may not wish to compensate an already compensated DVD. If there were a standardized and sufficient description on each DVD, and if about 50% of home video releases had the compensation included, and 50% did not, I might be tempted to change the TC setting more often. Currently I evaluate at setup, make a choice, and leave it on or off for a long time.

Night Mode, however, is something I would like to be able to turn on or off easily, depending on the situation at a given moment. As to whether it was left on without my realizing it, I would suggest that either one of the following also be implemented:

Option 1 – when the night mode is turned on, and anytime that a status menu appears on-screen or changes on the pre/pro’s display, a “night mode: on” indication appears in addition to volume information or DSP mode information.

Option 2 – when the source is changed, or if the source type changes, the night mode is automatically set to off. This means every time you load a new movie, you’ll know that if you want Night Mode, you’ll have to turn it on.

Additional thought: there are times when I would like to engage a ‘night mode’ on sources other that DD.

So my vote is for night mode to be available on the remote.

Hope this helps!

#35743 - 10/14/04 04:44 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Hmmm ... I see five individual responders in this thread so far, and six votes have been cast so far. Perhaps we have a silent voter. (I hope the software does not allow repeat voting!)

#35744 - 10/14/04 04:47 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
The pole will not permit repeat voting....I just tried it!

#35745 - 10/14/04 04:49 PM Re: Night Mode and Theater Compensation
Scott Offline
Desperado

Nope, no repeat voting allowed!

Best,

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts