Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#35715 - 03/19/07 12:05 AM Re: Media Storage
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
BobZ,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, cherry can be a real pain. Its grain swirls around and comes to the surface of the board perpendicular to the face. That's how blotchy spots occur. And you can't tell if a blochy area will occur until you apply the first coat of finish. For the HT cabinet I used sanding sealer before applying thinned coats of poly. It reduced the blotches, but not completely. Now over the years I'll see if the ply and the solid stock turn color about the same.

I built the white oak cabinet below a few years ago and something like it might work for storing binders full of music and dvds. Its not very original, I used a Woodsmith plan and modified the doors and base to my liking. Like my HT cabinet, this one uses ply for the sides, top and bottom all edged in solid stock. No stain, just several coats of thinned poly to protect it but not obliterate the grain.

#35716 - 03/21/07 08:44 AM Re: Media Storage
BobZoom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: near Chicago
Splotches...you love 'em or you hate 'em. I like them. I don't try to hide them. To me they add character to what might otherwise be a bland looking piece. Boards with a lot of curl in them are prized. I love the way the tiger striping breaks up the monotony of rails and aprons. But other people don't like the look at all. I find the flake in quartersawn white oak and the curl in cherry and maple something to treasure. It certainly doesn't cry out, 'I'm peel and stick'!

You do nice work. Nice, clean and uncluttered. Furniture that never goes out of style. You're giving me the itch to get back to it. I have what amounts to a full blown custom furniture shop in my basement that I haven't used for much of anything for the last 10 years. That's kinda sad...isn't it? Your enthusiasm might yet rekindle a spark in this pile of old shavings.

I've got copies of Fine Woodworking that go back to the days of B/W. Too bad you're so far away. I'd give them to you. Funny thing, I lived in El Cajon when I was stationed in San Diego. And that's where I first got connected to Pacific Stereo, where I worked until they went BK in '86.

I was going to take some pictures of some furniture pieces the other night when I noticed it was time to do a little rubbing out and respraying. I almost always use lacquer as a finish. It's lacking in durability but is so easy to repair. As soon as it warms up enough to use the garage as a spray booth I'm going to have some refinishing to do. However, I did find some photos I can scan. I'll post them somewhere and send you a link.
Outlaw 990; Carver TFM45 (mains); Carver TFM35 (surrounds); Carver TFM24 (bridged for center); Carver TFM15CB (rears); Acoustic Research AR9 mains; Polk CS400I center; Polk FX500I surrounds; Polk FX300I rears; Sony KDS-60A2000; Oppo DV-981HD; MX-850

#35717 - 03/21/07 09:08 AM Re: Media Storage
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Wow, I hadn't thought of Pacific Stereo in a long time. I bought my first stereo receiver, a Pioneer SX 525, from them at the Rosecrans store too many years ago to mention. My Fine Woodworking collection does not go back to BW days, but if you are going to toss them we should discuss shipping costs. Hey, my table saw practically screams at me to start another project. With a whole shop I don't know how you resist. Maybe enjoying your HT?

#35718 - 03/21/07 04:58 PM Re: Media Storage
BobZoom Offline
Gunslinger

I was really busy in my shop during and immediately after my divorce. And then I made a career change. That consumed my life for a few years and a lot of started furniture projects were never finished. There's the fully machined parts for a cherry and ebony sofa table to match the rest of the set that is still sitting on the rollaround cart. A custom island for an ex-girlfriend is pretty much the extent of it for the last few years. (lots of ex's in there... :rolleyes: )

The big 3hp General needs a tune up. Blades need to be sent out for sharpening. Jointer and planer knives need sharpening and setting. Mortiser bits, chisels, scrapers...the Performax needs a new table belt...gawd...so much work just to get started again. I need a big bug to bite me. And the only bug in sight is the one that has you swing a stick at a little white ball.

Priorities change. I visited Russia last year and will walk on the Great Wall this year. Also will visit Budapest and Prague. I'm thinking after all that I'll come back to the shop and get those tools ready for something creative. Seeing your work and feeling a need has me thinking about it for the first time in many years. You got the juices flowing.

I even let the HT wither until this year. Now with a new 60" SXRD Sony and the Outlaw 990 and the Oppo I can't seem to get my hands on enough DVD-Audio and SACD. Pretty soon I'll have to start building furniture part time to pay for everything. eek
Outlaw 990; Carver TFM45 (mains); Carver TFM35 (surrounds); Carver TFM24 (bridged for center); Carver TFM15CB (rears); Acoustic Research AR9 mains; Polk CS400I center; Polk FX500I surrounds; Polk FX300I rears; Sony KDS-60A2000; Oppo DV-981HD; MX-850

#35719 - 03/21/07 05:02 PM Re: Media Storage
BobZoom Offline
Gunslinger

I just remembered...I think the street I lived on was Goldfield. The street numbers will pop into my head in the middle of the night, I'm sure.

I bowled in a couple of classic leagues at I think...Frontier Lanes? On Rosecrans? Saw Lee Taylor and Chuck (Bugs) Moran on the PBA tour shortly after I returned to Chicago. I have a lot of fond memories of San Diego.

Hmm...methinks I reminisced out of the media furniture thread...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts