Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35646 - 08/12/05 04:22 PM New Rack or Stand needed!
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

Moving into my new house next week (if all goes well) and will be without a rack for all of my gear (my last place had an obnoxious built in unit I had to use).

I really want one of the Salamander jobs, but being house broke, it is a bit out of my budget.

It has to be sturdy enough to hold the 770 and big enough to house the 990 (both of them are really restricting the rack choices), total pieces for the rack: 8 (give or take a few).

Any suggestions? My daughter won't be bi-pedal for sometime so keeping it closed is not much of an issue.

#35647 - 08/12/05 07:15 PM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
If you find a good solution, let me know. I had to trash my old racks because of fitment issues with the 990 so I'm currently using industrial shelving from Home Depot until I find a suitable rack.

Cheers,

#35648 - 08/12/05 09:47 PM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Pat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Indiana
How about racksandstands.com or standsandmounts.com.
I havent bought from either place but they do seem to carry a lot of stuff. Also fun places to visit just to get ideas about furniture available and to pass the time.

........GoodLuck

#35649 - 08/13/05 09:32 AM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Mike in Virginia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansdowne, Virginia
I got a tall Salamander unit that I'm very happy with, but a word of warning that I really hadn't considered before buying. The room is nicely carpeted, and the rack is in a niche off to the side. Although the casters on the Salamander rack are really solid, swinging the rack and its several hundred pounds of gear on a carpet is a real problem. I tried putting a piece of 1/4" masonite under it, but the weight cracked the masonite. I'm now thinking of pulling out the carpet in the niche and putting some industrial vinyl there, same color as the carpet. My point is just to think through the interaction of the floor, the rack, and the amount of equipment. The idea of a tall rack on casters for ease of access is a good one; but in my case, the rest needs some work.
Outlaw LCR center
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
LiteOn 5005 DVD recorder
SA 8300HD/DVR STB
Dual 1219 phono
Ion Tape2PC USB
Harmony 620
Samsung HLR5078W

#35650 - 08/13/05 01:27 PM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

I've been at racksandstands.com all week! Still can't find one that suits my needs.

I know the exact Salamnader I would get, I just don't have the 3K for it right now :p

#35651 - 09/06/05 05:02 PM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Pat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Indiana
Lol...lol,
My eyes seem to find the things that are not in the budget a lot too. Oh well, it is nice to dream sometimes.

#35652 - 09/06/05 09:05 PM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
I got so tired of searching for the right unit, or figuring out how to build one that I tried an ultra cheap solution. SAF was not a consideration because my HT is in a basement. For $70 I bought a Wiretech 4 ft X 6ft X 20 inch wire shelving unit and some wheels at Manards, a midwestern Home Depot equivalent. I used only the bottom half so that it is about 36 inch high but I used all four shelves spaced to take 3 amps, the 990, a Denon 3910, a Sony SAT-HD and my DEQX PDD2.6. I also mounted my power conditioners. It all fits with lots of space around the unit. Not only does it have great ventilation for all the units, it is very easy to route the cables and tie them down out of the way. I used lots of those little plastic tie-downs, I can also wheel the unit away from the wall and access the back side any time I want. I love it. Forget HT centers and expensive equipment racks. My wife, who was with me when I bought it, loves it and says it looks great. It is the most practical rack I have ever had. The only downside was the need to put small pieces of masonite or thin plywood underneath the two pieces of equipment with narrow legs that fall between the wires.

#35653 - 09/07/05 11:44 AM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Mike in Virginia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansdowne, Virginia
AudioBear,

Sounds great. Could we see some pictures?
Outlaw LCR center
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
LiteOn 5005 DVD recorder
SA 8300HD/DVR STB
Dual 1219 phono
Ion Tape2PC USB
Harmony 620
Samsung HLR5078W

#35654 - 09/07/05 05:02 PM Re: New Rack or Stand needed!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I have to confess to going the quick/cheap route myself. The dimensions of the 990 make it somewhat difficult to find a suitable rack. It's very deep, especially when you account for room behind it for cabling. I ended up going to Home Depot and buying industrial steel shelves. The frame is stamped steel with adjustable height shelves and the shelves themselves are made out of MDF. I'm not sure how I can include the photo here so if anyone is interested to see what it looks like, shoot me an email and I'll email you a jpeg.

Cheers,

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts