Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35564 - 11/26/03 05:19 PM Restocking Fee
HDCO1107 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles CA USA
Here is an exchange I had with Outlaw customer service. Haven't heard a reply yet to my response but i've only just sent it.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Here's the exchange, read from bottom:

I do not understand, and I am disappointed in this decision from a company that prides itself on its customer service. I think your decision is arbitrary and wrong. I understand a restocking fee in a case where the stands have been assembled, or even unpacked. In my case, I opened the box and pulled out one piece--enough to see that the quality I had hoped for wasn't there. I then replaced the piece, sealed up the box and sent it back.

Does it seem right that because the box is opened, you are charging me the same restocking fee that you would charge someone who pulled everything out of the box and assembled the stands? Not to me it doesn't. From a conglomerate I might expect a blind adherence to "policy." I do not expect it from you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Customer Support [mailto:customerservice@outlawaudio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 10:18 AM
To: XXXX XXXXXX
Subject: Outlaw Audio

Hello XXXX,

Unfortunately, the speaker stands were open and can no longer be sold as new. Therefore, as stated in our return policy, we must charge a 15% restocking fee on this order. Thank you for understanding.

Thank You
The Outlaws

#35565 - 11/26/03 05:51 PM Re: Restocking Fee
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
HDCO,

While I do see the basis for your argument -that the product didn't satisfy your needs, and you determined this without actually putting it together or even fully unpacking it - I took a glance at the order form online. They are clear about charging a restocking fee on any opened package, for a pretty valid reason. Since you have opened it and peeked at it, they don't want to sell it to somebody else (as someone who got an opened CD changer from a local dealer once, I appreciate them sticking to that). Even the smallest company has to stick to certain policies for the sake of their own liability. And a policy that they list twice on the order form (see quotes below) and ask you to accept before ordering is clearly one that they intend to be firm on.

Quote:
If you choose for any reason to return these pieces within thirty days of receipt we will provide a refund of the product price less a 15% restocking fee for packages that have been opened or assembled.

Quote:
All returns must be shipped back unopened in their original condition and packing; otherwise, a 15% restocking fee will be applied. Units returned in unsaleable "other than brand new" condition will not be honored.

Now, if there were two boxes and you only opened one of them, I definitely see a case for disputing a restocking fee on the unopened box since the order form is clear that the restocking fee only applies to boxes that have been opened.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts