Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35324 - 12/06/05 03:46 PM LFM-1 Hum
AAWingnut Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cartersville, GA 30120
Has anyone had any humming from thier LFM-1's? I have 2 in my HT and have had the exact setup for almost 13 months. Recently, the subs have started humming with everything turned off, ie. my 770 and 950. The only power is from the subs themselves. Then I noticed the humming during a movie. Any ideas?

Thanks,

AAWingnut

#35325 - 12/06/05 04:43 PM Re: LFM-1 Hum
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

I think the EBTech Hum Eliminator will eliminate that problem for you.

-Regards

#35326 - 12/07/05 04:33 PM Re: LFM-1 Hum
AAWingnut Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the advice. Where can i find one and are they easy to use? Thanks again.

Wingnut

#35327 - 12/07/05 09:11 PM Re: LFM-1 Hum
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I'm not sure I'd limit the incoming current by passing it through a "hum eliminating" circuit. It's likely the original poster has somehow created a groundloop recently. If he finds/eliminates the ground loop, the hum will go away.

#35328 - 12/07/05 09:48 PM Re: LFM-1 Hum
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
this is true ritz.

aawingnut,is it possible,maybe,an appliance(i.e. fan or heater) came into play recently?

#35329 - 12/10/05 10:31 AM Re: LFM-1 Hum
AAWingnut Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

As far as a new appliance, I don't have anything new in my entire basement area that hasn't been there for over 12 months.

I have simple Lutron dimmers on my lights and at times if they are in a dimmed mode the hum will be heard. In the past when I turned the lights completely off the humming stopped. That is not the case now. When I built my HT I put the room lights on a completely different circuit from the curcuit that powers all of my electronic equipment.

It has been rather puzzling since there were no problems until the last few months.

Does an appliance have to be on the same circuit to cause a hum or could it be upstairs over my theater or in another part of my house.

The odd part is that the hum has grown so loud that I turned them off the other night because they were such a distraction during a movie. It seems to be getting worse. One of the 2 subs is louder but they both are humming. I feel that the hum should be from interference of some kind but I haven't made any changes and I can't find the source of the interfence, but I'm not finished looking. I'm actually just getting started.

I appreciate your thoughts. It appears no one has had any hum problems with the LFM. My feeling was that the LFM's were going to be a quality product and shouldn't have this type of problem and I'm glad that seems to be the case. I absolutely love all of my Outlaw gear and I recommend Outlaw to anyone interested in HT's.

Still Puzzled,

AAWingnut

#35330 - 12/11/05 01:13 AM Re: LFM-1 Hum
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
AAWingnut,

I had a ground loop that caused humming through my self-powered subwoofer and it hummed whether my HT system was on or not. It turns out it was my cable TV line. I purchased a Jensen Transformer VRD-1FF Cable TV Ground Isolater that installs on the cable before the cable connects to the cable box. After I installed it the hum was gone. If you have cable try disconnecting it to see if the hum stops. If it does the Jensen device might work for you too. Other ground loops are more difficult to diagnose; I got lucky.

As to why the hum just started up; (if it is the cable) maybe the cable company did some work in your area recently or maybe you have a loose cable connection somewhere.

I purchased the isolater from an E-bay store called Cable Solutions for $50. An alternative might be a Panamax or Belkin surge/filter. They might have ground isolaters in them too.

Hope you find the solution quickly.

#35331 - 12/11/05 06:45 AM Re: LFM-1 Hum
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by AAWingnut:
Thanks for the advice. Where can i find one and are they easy to use? Thanks again.

Wingnut
You can find the EBTech Hum Eliminator at many online sites including audiomidi.com

Yes it is very simple to use, just put it inline between your pre-pro and the subs. The two-channel one would likely be ideal for your two-sub situation (assuming that your subs are not simply defective). If you use the usual RCA connections to the subs then you would want to get four 1/4"-to-RCA adapters from RadioShack as well.

EBTech also has the new Hum-X product which would also likely fix for your problem.

Here is a link: http://www.audiomidi.com/HE-2-Hum-Eliminator---2-Channel-P314.aspx?CPID=392&AFID=3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts