Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35283 - 09/30/05 03:06 PM Should there be any problems??
Bob Walters Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Bronxville, NY
Folks,
After talking my "bride" into 2 LFM-1's in the living room, I'm finding a small lamp on one of them & magazines on the other. The bass {after an abundance of balancing & tweaking} is absolutely beyond my imagination!!!!!!! Am I losing or hurting anything with "stuff" on top of the subs????????

#35284 - 09/30/05 03:39 PM Re: Should there be any problems??
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

The only thing that might get hurt is the lamp if it "walks" off the sub due to all the thunder!

Seriously, the problem may come more from possible transmission of vibration to the lamp or simply by being too close to the moving air it might distract all with rattle. Experiment when she is NOT around with a really deep bass track to see if anything in the room shakes, and adjust things accordingly. (With guidance from the "Decorator in Chief", of course!)

#35285 - 09/30/05 04:38 PM Re: Should there be any problems??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree with PodBoy - short of the lamp getting shaken off or the lamp having sharp pointed feet that might scuff the plexi, all you might have to worry about is some odd noise from sympathetic vibration of the lamp. And considering how regularly my cats use my LFM-1 as a stepladder onto the entertainment center (the 20-pound persian can't jump well, so he has to go from LFM-1 to Studio/60 to side cabinet in order to get onto the preferred den vantage point), I would say that the plexi is pretty resilient - their hind claws have left no marks on it that I've found after fifteen months or so of traffic.

#35286 - 09/30/05 04:42 PM Re: Should there be any problems??
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
and make sure no flower pots or such ends up there,water kills.

i've always been very anal about anything placed on my speakers.they are speakers,not lampholders or magazine racks.

but then this is MY room,off limits unless passing through to do laundry.(i do my own laundry,i'm not being 'like that')

#35287 - 10/02/05 10:54 AM Re: Should there be any problems??
Bob Walters Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Bronxville, NY
Folks,
Thanks for the replies...I now have peace of mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lamp sometimes "walks" but I have a watchful eye on it when the bass is "honking"!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for all your help. Bob Walters

#35288 - 10/02/05 02:36 PM Re: Should there be any problems??
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Bob:

Depending on how big the lamp is, you might want to secure it with what the folks out in earthquake country call "Quake Hold", also sold as "Museum Wax". It's a kind of putty that you use to secure things to shelves.

#35289 - 10/02/05 06:47 PM Re: Should there be any problems??
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
A good solution for a "walking lamp" is a piece of that rubber mesh that people put under carpeting to keep the carpet from sliding on a slippery hardwood floor. You can buy it at Home depot and cut out a little circle/square/whatever small enough to fit under your lamp base. That should permanently solve the problem and eliminate a potential source of scratches on the top of the LFM-1.

Cheers,

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM