Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35199 - 05/19/05 05:51 PM Should I get a new sub and, if so, which one?
pdalton Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Since ~1994, I've had an NHT SW2P Powered Sub as part of my HT System. (NHT SW2P/MA-1 Specs below, if seeing them makes any difference).

I've already ordered 5 of the Klipsch RSX-5s to replace the rest of my old 5.1 system (LF/RF=Klipsch Kg3s, center= Klipsch KV3, surrounds=NHT HDP1s).

The SW2P is the last vestige . . . Does it need to go and, if so, do I replace it with a Klipsch or an Outlaw?

This arises because it seems to me that there is more than a small chance that subwoofer technology could have improved a bit since the SW2P & its amp were originally released in 1992. In light of that possibility, I am faced with the choice of keeping the SW2P to "fill in the bottom" under the RXS-5s, or getting a new powered sub to do that work.

So I suppose I'm first seeking advice about whether or not to make a change at all. While I've not had any problems with the SW2P in the past, I also know that I am so used to it that I may be missing something there that I'm not at all aware of. Also, I recently have read that the SW2P really does not do as well for HT use as it does for music -- and HT is 80%+ of how we use the system.

Assuming I do decide to make a change, I would appreciate any thoughts about the following replacement options for my ~16 x ~25 room & the 5 new speakers I'm adding (I hope you don't mind me mentioning the Klipschs here, but if I do make a change, I know it will be either to an Outlaw or a Klipsch. Surely, There's at least one Outlaw owner who has owned a Klipsch, isn't there?) :

1. One Outlaw LFM-1

2. One Outlaw LFM-2

3. two Outlaw LFM-2s

4. One Klipsch RSW10

5. One Klipsch RW10

6. One Klipsch RW12

7. Two Klipsch RW10s

8. One Outlaw LFM-1

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

- Paul

NHT SW2P:
10" woofer in vented enclosure.
Frequency response: 21Hz-350Hz, ±3dB direct in. ***
Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83V at 1m), 200W maximum.
Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 6.2 ohms minimum.
Dimensions: 16" W by 16" H by 16" D.
Internal volume: 50 liters.
Weight: 40 lbs.

NHT MA-1 mono amplifier and electronic crossover:
Power rating: 80W into 8 ohms, continuous (19dBW); 120W into 4 ohms, dynamic (17.8dBW).
Dynamic headroom: 2dB.
Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz, ±0.25dB.
THD: ±0.01%.
Slew rate: 30V/ms.
Measured output impedance: 0.09 ohms at 20Hz.
Measured input impedance: 22k ohms.
Measured maximum voltage gain into 8 ohms: 48.6dB.
Dimensions: 16" W by 3" H by 13" D.
Weight: 11 lbs.>

*** I have seen elsewhere that the SW2P really only goes down to 27Hz

#35200 - 05/19/05 06:13 PM Re: Should I get a new sub and, if so, which one?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
There is a lot of personal taste in subs that can't come from a spec. If you are into classical music more than HT, some people like the tightness of closed subs, if you are into HT sound, which tends to be more earth shaking, not quite as acurate, you may be better off with ported.

There is no perfect sub.

I am sure if you are into HT, you would notice quite a difference between what you have and say a LFM-1 (or 2).

2 Subs have a sonic value besides a higher SPL. I have two subs in a room about the same size as yours.

#35201 - 05/19/05 06:20 PM Re: Should I get a new sub and, if so, which one?
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
I am sure the BIG Klipschs do just fine but I am currently running an LFM-1 with my Heresy mains and it is nice... smile
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#35202 - 05/19/05 06:37 PM Re: Should I get a new sub and, if so, which one?
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I have not heard the LFM-1 so I cannot really speak to it's performance . The outlaws here seem to think it is a pretty stand up sub though .
The Klipsch RW subs I have sold for years and I am telling you to stay away from them . You probably will not get the performance that you expect from the RW series . Even bigger problem with them was the revolving door effect . As soon as they went out the door . They were on their way back in for repair . People were cranking the volume up on them and burning them out .
The RSW subs are a step up and do a nice job with home theater and music both . However, the Klipsch will run you more $$$ than the LFM-1 .

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM