Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35141 - 04/21/05 01:36 PM LFM-1 and Magnepan MC1s
Alan Freeman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New York
Hello,

I am putting together a new home theater system (primarily for music) based around Maggie MC1s and a CC3 center. I ordered an ICBM and whilst talking with the guys at outlaw, mentioned that I had been leaning towards getting a Velodyne DD-10 sub.

Has anyone used the LFM-1 subwoofer with Maggies?

Cheers.
Alan

#35142 - 04/25/05 05:40 PM Re: LFM-1 and Magnepan MC1s
goalie81 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Heh...I've been using an LFM-1 with my Maggies now for a grand total of two days. I've had an LFM-1 since it came out, but my Maggies just arrived this weekend, and I've been slowly making cables and replacing my 14-year-old Infinity setup while re-arranging my entire audio rack.

So far, I've got the 1.6QR L and R mains and the CC3 hooked up, along with the LFM-1. Considering that I've done maybe ten to twenty minutes of pseudo-calibration with my Radio Shack sound meter, they sound great. I've mostly been listening to two channel (duh!) but since I added the center I've been listening to SACDs in glorious 3.1 sound; kind of like having a BLT without the B.

My room is 20x10, and I've got the mains against a short wall. I used to have the LFM-1 in a corner, but I moved it to an open part of the room, and the bass suddenly got much tighter. The 1.6/QRs I got have decent bass, but for my taste in music I need that extra "oomph" for kick drums and bass. I've crossed over everything at 80Hz via my 950 preamp and like I said, so far, so good.

My remaining setup consists of two more 1.6QRs for surround side L and R, and a pair of MC1s for rear surrounds, all of which are still in the box until later in the week after I route cable via the wall and/or buy those things at my local hardware chain to run them along the moulding.

To get back to your original question, I can offer that at my local Maggie dealer, I auditioned three- MC1, 12 and 1.6. The MC1 and 12 series all required a sub for my taste, and I was using a very small sub each time, maybe about half the physical size of the LFM-1. Sorry, but I've forgotten the names/brands as I wasn't too interested in the subs there. They were all side firing and did okay, but I'll stick with the LFM-1. I specifically remember the bass punch not being the same at the dealer as what I get at home with my LFM-1 on tracks from Gaucho, Peter Gabriel's Up, or other SACD discs I took with me.

During my speaker trials the past six months(!) I got to hear several setups. My second choice would have been B&W 700 series, but even then their sub didn't quite do it for me as the LFM-1 has. I think that you'd have to double the price of the LFM-1 to get the performance. I've heard better subs than the Outlaw of course, but the cost was just too much for me to justify when the LFM-1 does what it does as advertised. If you really need the 20-25Hz for movies where worlds/cars/people blow up every five minutes, go for it and spend the extra $$$. Since I'm 90/10 music to movies, the LFM-1 works great for me.

Hope this helps!
Marty

#35143 - 07/05/05 10:14 PM Re: LFM-1 and Magnepan MC1s
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Goalie,

Any reason why you went with 1.6's instead of MMGs? I've got a half dozen MMGs on the way for my theatre system. They'll be replacing Dahlquist mains and Definitive Technology surrounds and center.

Magnepan offers a pretty generous upgrade plan. I really liked the 3.6, but they were just way too (physically) large for my room.

Cheers,

#35144 - 07/10/05 09:56 PM Re: LFM-1 and Magnepan MC1s
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Hate to follow up my own post...hehe

Magnepan's factory is apparently closed for vacation and couldn't get me the MMGs in the time frame I needed. So I picked up 1.6's from a local dealer. They're being delivered in a couple of days. I absolutely love the 3.6, but I just can't convince my wife to deal with their imposing physical size. Sigh...

Cheers,

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts