Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#35016 - 02/07/05 07:37 PM GRAMMA!
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I recently bought (for about$49) the GRAMMA isolation platform by Auralex from Sweetwater.com. This thing definitely cures the slight boominess I was experiencing. It happens to be just the right size, too for the LFM1. Recommended....

#35017 - 02/08/05 03:10 PM Re: GRAMMA!
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I ordered one of these today so when I get it I will post my opinion also. I just got one for the LFM and the dimensions seem ok.

#35018 - 02/11/05 04:33 PM Re: GRAMMA!
Bob Walters Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Bronxville, NY
Guys,
Please let me know how the Auralex works out. Both my LFM-1's are on a wooden floor and even with the metal discs they STILL move...not that loud!!!! Help.

#35019 - 02/14/05 12:12 PM Re: GRAMMA!
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

I got the Gramma today and placed it under my Velodyne(LFM arrives tomorrow). What a difference! It actually makes me appreciate the Velodyne. I put in Attack of the Clones -Scene 3- and the explosion of Amidala's ship was tight. Before it sounded sloppy and muddled. The Gramma is an excellent purchase. I can only imagine how it will sound with the LFM. Highly recommended.

#35020 - 02/15/05 11:56 PM Re: GRAMMA!
Elevatedlizard Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello everyone

Thank, JMS, for enlightening us to this product. How did you come across it?

I purchased a 950/7100 combo in December and I like it alot. It is by far the nicest audio electronics I've ever owned. The satelite/sub system is from Aperion, which seems to be pretty good quality, and I'm happy with that as well.

I have gone through all of the standard operating procedures for calibrating the speakers/sub, moving the sub to a better location in the room, and adjusting the phase and crossover settings on the sub itself. It all sounds pretty good. However, the lower bass frequencies are still a little heavy relative to the upper bass frequencies. It's not too bad, but it needs another tweek of some kind to get the right balance and tighten it up a little more.

I wondered if this GRAMMA isolation platform would be worth a look. Does it function well with any kind of sub, or is it more appropriate for downward-firing subs? The Aperion sub has the speaker cone facing forward into the room, a port in the back, and it is raised off our wood floor with floor spikes and little brass discs.

I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience and opinions on this, if you'd be so kind.

Thanks.

#35021 - 02/16/05 02:43 AM Re: GRAMMA!
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

I just hooked up the LFM tonight and it fits perfectly with the Gramma. Bass is killer. I just wish I could really turn it up but ,alas....darn townhouse neighbors! Oh well , it will grow with me when I move that's for sure. But I digress...
The Velodyne CHT8 had the speaker in the front and this one is downfiring but the Gramma seems to work well with both. I have tile flooring so I do not know how it would work with carpet but it made a big difference in my house. It seems to keep the really low stuff from getting sloppy and tightens it up nicely(forgive my highly technical jargon) cool .
Like I said before, I highly recommend it.

#35022 - 02/16/05 07:37 PM Re: GRAMMA!
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Elevatedlizard:

The location should be given the first look. If you are all out of location options, I’d say try some bass traps before trying anything else. Aurlex has them and so does this place http://www.realtraps.com/

#35023 - 02/17/05 12:18 AM Re: GRAMMA!
Elevatedlizard Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, guys, for your input and response to my inquiry. Spiker, I especially appreciate the link to Realtraps you included with your post. The information at their site helped clarify for me acoustical properties that I only vaguely perceived. What they say makes sense, and since I know nothing, I will have to take it on faith that this appraoch will yield noticable results. The most challenging aspect of this project is to convince my wife that an installation of acoustic panels will visually improve our living room.

#35024 - 02/17/05 08:43 AM Re: GRAMMA!
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
For a quick, but noticeable, change in subwoofer response and isolation, the GRAMMA (also known as the "Subdude) does the trick. I've owned one for over a year now and I'm still impressed by how it helps isolate the sub from my floor. Proper acoustical treatment is a good path to take, I also especially like the realtraps product, but don't mistake taming reflections for acoustical isolation. The GRAMMA actually isolates my sub from my floor, noticeable in reduced vibrations in neighboring rooms. It DOESN'T reduce actual bass level except to eliminate any items in the room the may be vibrating along with the sub.

For $60, I've found the GRAMMA to be one of the best tweaks yet for my system. It does exactly what it says it's going to do. smile

#35025 - 02/17/05 08:06 PM Re: GRAMMA!
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Elevatedlizard:
The most challenging aspect of this project is to convince my wife that an installation of acoustic panels will visually improve our living room.
You can cover it with patterned fabric of some sort and staple to the frame or pin it at the back. You can even have your wife pick one out. I’ll bet that will make the spouse approval process smoother. wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts