Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34968 - 01/29/05 08:01 PM Re: LFM has a film
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
I think the type of plastic used depends on what the company decides to spec and not so much of where it is assembled at. If that is true and if the assembling plant switched it with inferior quality plastic for their profit, then there will be litigation of some sort. Just my 2 cents…

#34969 - 01/30/05 10:07 AM Re: LFM has a film
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
When doing video work for trade shows and conventions, I found that many display managers knew that their Plexiglas or Lexan surfaces would deteriorate when cleaners not specifically formulated for such materials were used. Windex was one of the cleaners they avoided. The favorite among several display managers that I knew was a product called Brillianize . There are a couple other products out there for the same purpose, I’m just relating the preference of some display people I knew. These cleaners were not commonly available at the average supermarket or discount store, but could sometimes be found at home improvement centers.

Are there any specific instructions that come with the LFM-1 regarding cleaning of that surface? If not, perhaps Outlaw will advise LFM-1 purchasers of any potential problem with certain chemical or detergent cleaners should Outlaw be able to verify a problem.

#34970 - 01/30/05 02:30 PM Re: LFM has a film
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
I agree that a product specifically developed for cleaning/polishing plastics would be preferred. The products marketed for use on turntable dust covers (can't remember the name just now) would probably be a good choice.

Just so there's no confusion, I do want to emphasize that the problems some of us are experiencing are not caused by cleaning. The troubles are coming before any cleaning is done. That being said, it would definitely be prudent to choose a proper cleaning product for long term care.

#34971 - 01/30/05 07:58 PM Re: LFM has a film
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Spiker,

Unless a major / well-known manufacturer of plastics / adhesives (Dupont, 3M, etc.) has set up shop in China, the best the Chinese can do is to try to reverse engineer / copy their fomulations. And in my opinion they are doing a lousy job of it.

They are loath to import even semi-finished products - unless those products will then let them manufacture products of their own. And it's only a matter of time before they will copy the finished products (like robotic assembly equipment etc.) that they are now forced to import. Their goal is to import only the rawest of raw products - and do all of the processing / value-adding in-country.

Litigation in China? Gimme a break!

Jeff Mackwood

#34972 - 01/30/05 11:10 PM Re: LFM has a film
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tekdredger:
[QB] I agree that a product specifically developed for cleaning/polishing plastics would be preferred. The products marketed for use on turntable dust covers (can't remember the name just now) would probably be a good choice.

i just used a cleaner/polisher for all the plastic lenses on my truck,when i get back over to the garage i'll get the name.it'll keep the surface clean,but it sounds like there are "deeper" issues also.

and staying away from windex is a good idea,i use it for alot of pre-paint cleaning because it is slightly aggressive

#34973 - 01/31/05 01:33 PM Re: LFM has a film
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Jeff Mackwood:

I was referring to U.S. companies like Outlaw Audio or Nike working with Chinese fabrication / assembly plant. If there is a defect due to unauthorized material swap, then someone will have to folk over to cover the damage. Who will that be? I guess there can be more than one answer.

#34974 - 01/31/05 01:54 PM Re: LFM has a film
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Spiker,

I was as well.

First, it may not have been an unauthorized swap. It might just be a case of Outlaw getting what it paid for - materials that are inferior to those found in the West. You can hand the Chinese a sample and say "just like this" and they will always say that they can deliver. You can look at a sample that they provide, or even the initial product runs and be happy. But you still run the risk that, with time, you could see more product degradation than what you might normally expect. They simply have not been able to match Western standards for things like plastics and adhesives - where they've developped them themselves. They will eventually - but they're not there yet.

Second, I was referring to Outlaw's chances of ever winning some form of litigation in China - if it ever came to that. It's an inherent risk of doing business over there.

And finally I have no doubt whatsoever that Outlaw will stand behind their product(s) and correct / repair / replace any that are defective. They remain a text book example of great customer relations.

Jeff Mackwood

#34975 - 02/13/05 03:31 PM Re: LFM has a film
geigercounter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: metro Atlanta
This issue/concern you guys have rasied regarding the plastic/plexiglas top has me questioning whether I want to purchase this sub. I was just about ready to pull the trigger but now have 2nd thoughts. The posts seem to say that the problem doesn't appear to be cleaning chemical induced but more of an inferior product or an unexplained chemical reaction between the plastic and the adheasive being used to adhear it to the sub. What is Outlaw doing about this? If the material and/or the glue is at fault, can it be replaced without sending the whole darn thing back only to get another one with potentially same problem?

#34976 - 02/13/05 05:10 PM Re: LFM has a film
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by geigercounter:
This issue/concern you guys have rasied regarding the plastic/plexiglas top has me questioning whether I want to purchase this sub. I was just about ready to pull the trigger but now have 2nd thoughts. The posts seem to say that the problem doesn't appear to be cleaning chemical induced but more of an inferior product or an unexplained chemical reaction between the plastic and the adheasive being used to adhear it to the sub. What is Outlaw doing about this? If the material and/or the glue is at fault, can it be replaced without sending the whole darn thing back only to get another one with potentially same problem?
Don't fret pardner! I spoke to Scott at Outlaw recently and he informed me that they switched to a completely different protective covering, with a kraft paper backing, that doesn't attack the plastic. So go ahead an pull that trigger! wink I'd hate to see you miss out on a great subwoofer because you're worrying about a problem that has already been solved.

#34977 - 02/13/05 05:44 PM Re: LFM has a film
geigercounter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: metro Atlanta
Thanx tekgredger for putting my mind at ease about the asthetics concern. It would have been pretty disappointing to own a great sounding sub with a serious appearance problem. I'm already an Outlaw customer (a happy 950 owner) and figured these guys would be all over it. I'll get in line to give this box an audition.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts