Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34878 - 09/29/04 05:01 PM two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansing, KS
Ok, I have been reading lots of HT forums last several weeks about benefit of having two subwoofers vs. one subwoofer topic. I had my current Klipsch SW-12 subwoofer for about nine years and I thought it is time for me to upgrade. My HT basic system consist of Outlaw 950Pre/Pro, 755 amp, older Adcom stereo amp, mostly Sound Dynamic speaker sets. HT room dimension is about 12'x20'x7.5' with partial open wall to one side. So far, general recommendation is to get one best subwoofer that you can afford. The main reason that I wanted to change current subwoofer is its little too "boomy sound" to my ear and music listening is not very satisfactory on low end. I have seperate two channel stereo system but with SACD and DVD-A, I am listening more in my HT setup. It looks to me that PB2+ is more powerful subwoofer than LFM-1(it should be when it cost more than twice) but given my dimension of HT room size, it seems like either of ONE subwoofer will do the job. However, reading all those forums discussion about two subwoofers vs. just one, I am just wondering getting two subwoofers is viable option for me or not. Thanks advance for your input. I will probably ordering my new sub in about a week or so.

#34879 - 09/29/04 05:28 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
I assume you’ve read this http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/001346.html

Its location is a bit misleading (processor threads).

#34880 - 09/29/04 08:05 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I like the suggestion that someone once made about borrowing a sub from a co-worker, friend, grandma or a neighbor and pair it with your Klipsch. If you split the LFE signal you'll have mono but you can see the advantage (or not) of having the two subs in your space, and the cost is about nothing but some time. If you are able to get the desired effect with two different subs I would imagine that a matching pair of high quality subs would do even more.
I have never heard the LFM but if it is like the rest of Outlaws products I'm sure it is a great piece of equipment for a very reasonable price, especially the pair price.
Like you I have a room with a large opening on one wall. The room is about 17x21x8 and I started with only one sub and I was never pleased no matter where I put the sub, it was either boomy to get the desired max volume or not loud enough when in a position that gave nice solid bass. Some might say that a better sub in the "solid bass" room position would be the best option but those locations in my room were unacceptable so I gave the dual subs a try and have never looked back. I also listen to DVD-A and I feel that is where the two subs shine the most.
Now if you have a friend with a "better" sub than the LFM then maybe you can try that as a single or again paired with your Klipsch.

#34881 - 09/30/04 12:54 AM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Spiker, thanks for your reply and yes I have read that thread and I read it again tonight also. There were some good constructive arguments on both sides, I must say. I will continue to search other forums as well then I will decide one way or another. But whatever I decide, I will try to post the result after replacing my current subwoofer with one or maybe two, who knows at this time. Thanks again.

#34882 - 09/30/04 01:06 AM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Keta,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know why I haven't thought about borrowing someone else's subwoofer to try out the two sub scenario. Just like your situation, no matter where I place my current subwoofer, I still get very boomy sound. And when I calibrated my current sub, the dial is only about 1/2 way only so I know it is not pushing the sub to its max output yet. And hearing SACD or DVD-A, the bottom end sounds very "muddy" without very good definition to it. So now to test whether two subs are going to help in my situation, I just need to find somebody with a decent subwoofer for me to borrow. I am keep looking for any of my friends who might have SVS PB2+ for their setup so that I can listen for myself. Whatever I decide, I will try to post my experience with this matter soon.

#34883 - 10/01/04 11:10 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
you can buy 2 from a place without a restocking fee return policy...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#34884 - 10/04/04 12:53 AM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Finally I confirmed tonight that I suspected little awhile ago that my Klipsch SW12 was going bad on me. LFE effect was sounded like extremely harsh and badly distorted. When I turn the subwoofer off and turn all the other speaker setting into "large" and the movies are sounded balance again without the distorted sounds. Now I have an excuse to upgrade this old subwoofer quickly (oh, boy,,,). I was consulting with my wife regarding the "style" of certain subwoofers but surprisingly she prefers cyclindrical design like from SVS. Sigh,,,, now I need to go back to read all about these cyclindrical subwoofers (maybe I shouldn't have even showed to my wife about the "OTHER" designs). The only decent comparison between SVS cyclindrical sub and LFM-1 was by "gonk" little awhile ago. I need to research little more about this subwoofer before I plunge to buy that next sub. I guess this upgrading business is part of the best fun for our hobby. I hope to have my next sub by the end of next week...

[This message has been edited by justhavingfun (edited October 06, 2004).]

#34885 - 10/05/04 10:08 AM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
the pursuit can be more fun than the accomplishment...

it is hard to pick between an awesome value, and just plain awesome...

with audio there is a point of diminshing returns that is quickly reached, but always the desire to go beyond it.

good luck, and id get one nicer ($$) sub than 2 that are half as nice ($)...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#34886 - 10/06/04 01:19 AM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

After weeks of reading and researching, I finally placed the order for my next subwoofer, SVS PC Ultra. Initially, I was interested in SVS PB2+ but after few emails with SVS tech and my wife's preference with cylindrical design, I ordered SVS PC Ultra. I should be receiving it about in a week. I know this is LFM-1 forum so I am not sure if anybody wants to read my first impression with SVS when I receive it but if anybody is searching for your next subwoofer like I was, you might be interested how SVS PC Ultra will perform. I really wanted to audition both LFM-1 and SVS but I couldn't find anybody who has neither subs around where I live. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my initial inquiry in this thread.

Terry

#34887 - 10/10/04 06:08 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

You are going through the same exact thing I am right now. I'd love to hear how you like your new SVS. My wife does not like th size of it, but she loves the cherry wood to match our cabinets.

#34888 - 10/11/04 12:33 AM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

I suppose to receive my SVS PC Ultra on Oct. 11, 2004. And as soon as I have a chance to listen to it, I will post my initial impression. Like I said before, I was surprised to find that my wife preferred cyclinder design than just an ordinary looking box-type subwoofer. I will probably have to rearrange my furniture little bit though.

#34889 - 10/16/04 06:36 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

I received my SVS PC Ultra as scheduled on Monday Oct. 11. But I had to take a trip for few days and I only had a quick chance to setup and listen to new subwoofer. I unpacked the BIG box and placed behind the sofa between two back surround speakers. Quick calibration using Outlaw 950's internal tone and played the usual loads of DVDs and some CDs as well. Previously I never liked to listen at reference level loudness because it just sounded "LOUD" but without any good overall definition and becomes very annoying when my other subwoofer Klipsh SW-12 bottomed out occasionally. Well not anymore, I truly enjoy watching DVDs at reference level now with addition of PC Ultra. When the heavy LFE was called for, PC Ultra gives out very clean and deep bass that I can feel in my chest cavity. I have auditioned several other subwoofers that are in my price range (like Definitive Technology, Klipsch, Polk, Velodyne, etc...) but I am glad that I purchased PC Ultra and I am looking forward to improve my HT sound by further tweaking this amazing subwoofer. The only regret is that I didn't had a chance to listen to LFM-1. I almost bought two LFM-1 but in the end, I decided to purchase one within my price range. After I emailed back and forth with SVS tech, they suggested that I purchase PC Ultra instead of PB2+ given my HT dimension and personal preference. I am one happy camper now!!

#34890 - 10/16/04 09:19 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
My $.02. You should have auditioned 2LFM-1s. If you didn't like them, you could have sent them back. As I stated in another subsection of this forum, I thought that 2 LFMs sounded awesome. But, and it is a big "butt," It is good that you are happy. That, after all, is the most important thing!

[Edited to add the "butt" part]

#34891 - 10/17/04 01:43 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
There is no need for name calling.

[Edited for Nert's sake]

#34892 - 09/26/05 09:16 PM Re: two LFM-1 or SVS PB2+ ?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Update for my subwoofer choice; I ended up purchasing SVS PC Ultra over two LFM-1s last year October. Since then, I built DIY subwoofer using Avalanche 18" driver sealed sub also. I was living in Texas when all these things happened but now I relocated to Hawaii since July of this year. I used to listen occasionally dvds and cds at reference level but now it is almost impossible to listen at reference level without disturbing neighbors since Hawaii homes are so close together. And since almost all the homes here do not use air condition regularly, all the windows are opened and you can hear even the normal conversation sometimes. Anyway to make the long story short, someone offer to buy my other old Klipsch SW12 subwoofer (used for my two channel music system). Since I always wanted to try LFM-1, I finally ordered one. Knowing returning the LFM-1 is not option for me (unless defective) since the shipping cost to Hawaii is over $170.

I also recently upgraded my 950 to 990 as well. Quick comparison between SVS PC Ultra and one LFM-1; in my current living rm/HT dimension which was lot smaller than my Texas home, there is almost no significant difference between these two subs at normal listening level. However as the volume was pushed to higher level (hoping neighbors weren't home), SVS PC Ultra was giving me more "in your face" sub performance. So if your listening room is small to medium size HT, one LFM-1 should be more than enough to satisfy (at least for me). And if you have larger room, just get two LFM-1. I probably would have been happy with two LFM-1 instead of one SVS PC Ultra. But like many of us, that darn "good bass" is very addictive. Once you heard the good subwoofer performing, you will always wanted more of that.

Since only one good subwoofer is more than enough for my current HT setup, I ended up setting my DIY Avalanche 18" sub for movies only and SVS PC Ultra as music listening only in main HT setup. And LFM-1 is located in two channel music only setup (still spinning LPs) and perfectly happy with LFM-1 as musical sub. My old Klipsch SW12 sub was sounded boomy compare to LFM-1 which gives me very tight and controlled bass performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts