Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34860 - 09/10/04 01:25 PM Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Duluth, MN
Hi all, just unpacked my newly arrived LFM-1 last night, I'm jazzed. Kudos to whoever came up with the packaging.

Question: can I plug multiple inputs into the LFM-1? I have my DVD SUB OUT directly connected to the LFM, am wondering if I can wire the stereo to the set of speaker inputs. We don't use the 2 simultaneously.

Also, I expected the Battle of Pellenor Fields to rattle the windows - it didn't until I got the volume up to 9. Could this be because the output from the DVD is a weak signal. I figure it's going into a 325 watt amp, so initial signal strength shouldn't matter.

I also saw the threads on height above the carpet (thanks folks!), going to try that when I get home.

#34861 - 09/10/04 01:42 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Have you done any calibration of the unit using test tones or an Avia/Video Essentials dvd? Once you do that and get the LFM in the right spot, it'll shake your house.

I'll leave the other question up to Gonk :-)

Todd

[This message has been edited by kugumby (edited September 10, 2004).]

#34862 - 09/10/04 02:18 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Since the DVD subwoofer output is connected to the LFM-1, you are presumably using the DVD player's Dolby Digital decoder. In that case, you'll need to calibrate it using the player's internal test tones or a calibration disc such as the two that kugumby suggests. Until you do, it's entirely possible that the sub is turned down too far either at the sub amp or in the DVD player's decoder - the LFM-1 has a good amp, but all it knows to do it reproduce the signal it's given.

I'm not entirely sure how your system is hooked up, but I'm going to guess that the stereo you are referring to is using the same speakers and the left and right channels of the home theater setup. If you connect the LFM-1 to both the sub out and the left and right speaker outputs, you will end up with a "normal" result while listening to the stereo but with a mix of signals hitting it at the same time during movies - the LFM-1 will be seeing (and performing some analog bass management for, I assume) the left and right channels at the speaker inputs and the LFE signal from the DVD player's subwoofer output. I'm worried that this arrangement will end up being unwieldy, overpowering, or perhaps even problematic for the sub's amp, and I'd definitely touch base with Outlaw before doing it since it is not an arrangement that is typically seen.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#34863 - 09/11/04 09:18 AM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Kugumby and Gonk

This thing rocks, the volume issue was mostly an issue of height and positioning. I found a sweet spot in the corner of the room (using the switch test) and moved the amp there. The Darla scene from Finding Nemo was incredible, my kids had to grab onto stuff.

If you have a good source for the Avia disk, let me know. It doesn't seem to be available locally, and the utilities on Radio Shack's DVD "cleaner and tester" looked weak.

Gonk - I send my home theater output to the stereo, but not vice versa (my stereo is a lot better than my current theater sound system, except now for the subwoofer ). So it wouldn't be sending simulaneous signals. By you're right, I'll pass this by the Outlaw techs to see what they have to say.

#34864 - 09/11/04 10:09 AM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I send my home theater output to the stereo, but not vice versa

Are you using separate speakers for the front channels? That was my concern - if you use the same speakers for your stereo and for the front channels in home theater listening, then both the line level and speaker inputs to the LFM-1 would get a signal during home theater use.

------------------

#34865 - 09/13/04 09:54 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

They are currently separate sets of speakers, but I was hoping to be able to use a single set - doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that...

#34866 - 09/14/04 01:35 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
You can get Video Essentials & Avia HERE and HERE
respectively at Amazon.com.

I have the Avia DVD, but I can't tell you why it costs almost twice as much as VE. I was in a hurry to pick one up and Best Buy only carried the Avia disc, so that's what I have.

#34867 - 09/14/04 02:35 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

With separate sets of speakers, it may actually be possible to do what you are planning, although optimizing the crossover point may require some compromises or switching between two settings depending on the system being used. With a single set of speakers, the preferred approach will be to find some way to settle on a single connection. The most common approach is to use a single surround-capable receiver or pre/pro as the front end for the entire system, and then have that processor do all Dolby Digital decoding and bass management so that the sub is only connected to the processor's line level sub output. An alternate approach that might work better for you would be to set your DVD player's decoder up to not use a subwoofer and to re-route the LFE track to the mains along with any bass from other speakers (set the sub to "off," the mains to "large," and the other speakers to "small), then connect the left and right speaker cables to the sub and on to the speakers, with the sub handling bass management for the left and right channels. All of this is dependent on what hardware you have and what you are trying to achieve, of course.

------------------

#34868 - 09/15/04 10:46 AM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by kugumby:
You can get Video Essentials & Avia HERE and HERE
respectively at Amazon.com.

I have the Avia DVD, but I can't tell you why it costs almost twice as much as VE. I was in a hurry to pick one up and Best Buy only carried the Avia disc, so that's what I have.

Thanks for the links. Amazon, being ever friendly, also gave me a "People who bought this also bought..." link, where they referenced a Home Theater calibration disk by Sound and Vision - came out in October O3 (why would anyone buy 2 calibration disks?)

Anyway, it was interesting to read the reviews - the reviews for DVE were not particularly good -poor navigation was a common complaint, as was poor explanations. Avia fared better (still come comments on poor navigation), but it is pricy.

The S&V DVD got pretty good reviews, including high marks for subwoofer calibrations and clarity of explanations. You have to put up with this couple that explains things though, descriptions range from cute and "hot" to annoying. Still seems like a good deal for $16.49, I might give this a try.

S&V HT tuneup

[This message has been edited by ghost (edited September 15, 2004).]

#34869 - 09/15/04 02:51 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I have the S&V HT Tuneup and I think it works well. Has calibrations for lots of surround formats.

#34870 - 09/20/04 01:22 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
With separate sets of speakers, it may actually be possible to do what you are planning, although optimizing the crossover point may require some compromises or switching between two settings depending on the system being used. With a single set of speakers, the preferred approach will be to find some way to settle on a single connection. The most common approach is to use a single surround-capable receiver or pre/pro as the front end for the entire system, and then have that processor do all Dolby Digital decoding and bass management so that the sub is only connected to the processor's line level sub output. An alternate approach that might work better for you would be to set your DVD player's decoder up to not use a subwoofer and to re-route the LFE track to the mains along with any bass from other speakers (set the sub to "off," the mains to "large," and the other speakers to "small), then connect the left and right speaker cables to the sub and on to the speakers, with the sub handling bass management for the left and right channels. All of this is dependent on what hardware you have and what you are trying to achieve, of course.

I was able to connect my 2nd set of speakers to the inputs, and, by playing with the crossover, get pretty good results. Although yesterday I noticed a low frequency hum that disappeared when I disconnected the speaker wire, so they're off until I can check my connections.

BTW, what kind of connector is meant to go with the speaker terminals? I bought 12g Acoustic Research wire that came with some slender connectors (~2 cm gold male plug), but they obviously don't work with the LFM.

#34871 - 10/29/04 03:47 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just wanted to give an update - I've been using the sub with dual inputs for a month now - it works fine, no conflicts, hums or anything out of the ordinary. I do have to adjust the crossover periodically, which I pretty much expected, but it seems to work fine.

I also have a question on banana plugs (which I haven't used) - I got a set of Monster's BPs - I can tell it's going to take a heck of a lot of pressure to insert them - enough to move the subwoofer (not an easy thing!). Is this just the nature of these plugs? I'm working with a bare wire wrap just cuz I'm reluctant to force it. What gives?

Happy hallows...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts