Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#34870 - 09/20/04 01:22 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Duluth, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
With separate sets of speakers, it may actually be possible to do what you are planning, although optimizing the crossover point may require some compromises or switching between two settings depending on the system being used. With a single set of speakers, the preferred approach will be to find some way to settle on a single connection. The most common approach is to use a single surround-capable receiver or pre/pro as the front end for the entire system, and then have that processor do all Dolby Digital decoding and bass management so that the sub is only connected to the processor's line level sub output. An alternate approach that might work better for you would be to set your DVD player's decoder up to not use a subwoofer and to re-route the LFE track to the mains along with any bass from other speakers (set the sub to "off," the mains to "large," and the other speakers to "small), then connect the left and right speaker cables to the sub and on to the speakers, with the sub handling bass management for the left and right channels. All of this is dependent on what hardware you have and what you are trying to achieve, of course.

I was able to connect my 2nd set of speakers to the inputs, and, by playing with the crossover, get pretty good results. Although yesterday I noticed a low frequency hum that disappeared when I disconnected the speaker wire, so they're off until I can check my connections.

BTW, what kind of connector is meant to go with the speaker terminals? I bought 12g Acoustic Research wire that came with some slender connectors (~2 cm gold male plug), but they obviously don't work with the LFM.

#34871 - 10/29/04 03:47 PM Re: Multiple Inputs to LFM-1
ghost Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Duluth, MN
Just wanted to give an update - I've been using the sub with dual inputs for a month now - it works fine, no conflicts, hums or anything out of the ordinary. I do have to adjust the crossover periodically, which I pretty much expected, but it seems to work fine.

I also have a question on banana plugs (which I haven't used) - I got a set of Monster's BPs - I can tell it's going to take a heck of a lot of pressure to insert them - enough to move the subwoofer (not an easy thing!). Is this just the nature of these plugs? I'm working with a bare wire wrap just cuz I'm reluctant to force it. What gives?

Happy hallows...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM