Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34801 - 07/09/04 10:37 PM Cotton?
doc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi,

I just got the LFM-1 and i love it!!

But, the first day i got it, some fiberous cotton stuff fell out, then 'bout a week ago, i found some more had fallen out.

Does anyone know about this? Have i been to dumb to just take out some sort of packaging cotton stuff?

Thanks!

#34802 - 07/10/04 10:04 PM Re: Cotton?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The cotton you're running into is probably from the packing inside the speaker -- some may have gotten dislodged during shipping.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#34803 - 07/11/04 04:23 PM Re: Cotton?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
cotton or material like cotton is put into speaker cabinets to "tune it" by decreasing air volume and by how the air moves around inside the cabinet. if it is falling out, that is not good, because it is going to slightly alter the way it is supposed to sound.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#34804 - 07/11/04 10:53 PM Re: Cotton?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
doc:

Those are also called polyfill or acousta-fill. Not likely real cotton. More like synthetic for dealing better with moisture in the air. It’s not good if it’s falling out but it won’t change the tuning noticeably if only a pinch fell out and no more. When I built my subwoofer I used 4 lbs of polyfill to stuff the enclosure. That’s enough make two pillows (my sub is little bigger than average). If a palm-full of it fell out from my subwoofer, I doubt it will be noticeable to human ears.

I do not own LFM-1 but from looking at the photos, the only openings to the inside are the ports at the bottom. Tilt the sub over to the side and look into the ports with a flashlight to see if that’s where it is falling out from. If it is, you may want to call technical service at Outlaw Audio and ask what to do about it. Who knows, they may just tell you to reach in and stuff it back in.

#34805 - 08/24/04 03:47 AM Re: Cotton?
Bob045 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Doc:

What was the final resolution of the cotton issue? Just wondered what Outlaw said, if you called them or did you simply stuff the cotton back in?

Thanks,

Bob045

#34806 - 08/24/04 01:03 PM Re: Cotton?
doc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well I called up Outalaw and they were great about it. They explained that the cotton was used for tuning and such and that it was an important part of the sub.

They told me to let them know if any more cotton comes out, and if it does they would exchange the woofer for me, free of charge, they'd even pay for shipping charges.

Outlaw seems to take a lot of pride in their subs, and so they should.

I'm very happy with the performance. It's a great sub.

#34807 - 08/24/04 03:22 PM Re: Cotton?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
not bad, i would expect them to have fixed it right away though. that is what i would have preferred, since it is a defect.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts