Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34764 - 05/21/04 08:11 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
It is hard to sum up what makes a subwoofer good, because lots of the qualities go hand in hand.

Actually it depends on how much accurately reproducing the sound and whether the listener likes it that way go hand in hand. You can measure distortion, get a good idea of transient repsonse, and measure frequency response. Some people actually like distortion in their sound, but not all of them really know it. Some of them like the big peak in bass response for more power and sacrifice low end extension.

#34765 - 05/21/04 09:03 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Two subs of any given quality level will perform better than one.

The biggest thing that helps in this regard is mutual coupling between the subs. Essentially, assuming the subs are considerably less than a half wavelength's distance of each other at the lowest frequencies being reproduced, the two subs will effectively act as one larger sub. What this does in real terms is provide a 3db increase in efficiency and a lowering of the frequency where just one of the subs would start to roll off.

The two subs go deeper in frequency before rolloff, and they have twice the dynamic range (output capability). Each doubling of the number of subs will yield another 3db increase in dynamic range and a further lowering of the frequency where the subs start to roll off (this is why I use four 18" JBL subs).

This benefit is not to be sneezed at, whatever the quality level of the subs.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited May 21, 2004).]

#34766 - 05/21/04 09:38 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
tas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the info everyone, I understand the reasoning behind 2 subs, and agree completely, there is still the wife factor to be considered. It is one thing shakeing everything in the room, but it is another hiding or blending the subs that are doing it. I still don't think my question was answered. Has anyone done a side by side comparison or is there a review of a comparison between LMF-1 and SVS PB1-ISD. Once I have decided between the Outlaw and the SVS, I am going to try 1 sub, If I am not happy with the results I am going to Add a second. 2 LMF-1 or 1 SVS PB2-ISD. I think both of these subs have a lot to offer at this price point. Once again i appreciate everyones input.

#34767 - 05/22/04 12:30 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Iggy The Dog:
George:

As you know, we canines are more atuned to high frequencies, rather than low, so I may be out of my league in this thread.

HOWEVER

The phrase "It's a dog's life" comes to mind -- and we have to live on a budget, as well. You imply that you paid more than $549 for your subs. HOW MUCH MORE? Quality is paramount, but must always be viewed (listened to?) in conjunction with the price/value equation. Your subs may be great, but how much more did you have to pay for them? (And, by the way, what are they?)

Some of can't afford to pay more and think that a product such as the LFM-1 is just what our needs require. Why do you put down people the way you seem to frequently do in your posts?

But what do I know, I'm only a dog...

ARF ARF, says Iggy

that is a pretty funny post, ill give you that. i paid $1232 for my Velodyne HGS-II 18, retailed for $3000+ if i remember correctly. at times i have used 4 Velodyne HGS-II 10s, pair with my fronts, pair with my rears; those i got for nothing. now i have the 18, and two clear acrylic 10s in the front only. the only reason i have 10s at all is because, they were free, and my fronts are bookshelfs that are waiting to be moved to the 6th and 7th channels and replaced by floorstanding (maybe, if i find some i like, well and start to look). the hgs-II 10 clear acrylic retailed $2000+ i think. oh and i got them all new, not used. the 18 is thx ultra (maybe ultra 2) certified, and i cant recall about the 10s. now i realize that not everyone can expect those prices, but you can however pick up some good equipment used for around those prices (well not free...). not that you will find many used velodynes... lots of times you can get yourself a deal, if you work at it, however you don't get many deals from online retailers... i have found that a lot of life is who you know, if you know the right people at the right time, then you can get lucky.
i dont like talking about my gear that much, but since you prodded and humored me...
when comparing products, you must compare apples to apples, the lfm1 is not an apple, however there are other subs that are the same kind of fruit that it is. if you dont know what an apple tastes like, then how can you ever really believe that what you have is so great? your frame of reference is what makes you say what you have is great or not, so keep that in mind. lfm1 is a great VALUE, but its not in the same class of what i am used to, so i cannot say that it is. and while my subs are top notch, i got them for a great value, just like all the other components in my system... some are awesome, some are good, all were good values (for me) or i wouldnt have bought them at all. and i dont try to talk down about products, because everyone likes different things, but i am merely trying to expand your horizons to see that there is more out there than a $500 sub, and that perhaps you should experience different things to see if its quality merits the price or if you could spend a little more and get more... the choice, my friend, is always yours. the u.s. army wants you, join now! j/k. lol

#34768 - 05/22/04 03:21 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
tas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

curegeorg,

you bring up some great points, however I dont think cost is the true issue here. The SVS subs and Outlaw subs seem to offer a huge advantage by selling direct to the consumer. How much would these subs sell for at a Hi Fi store like Sound Advice 1,000, 1,200 or more. I have been looking for a while to replace my Klipsch LF-10 which i bought for 1,000 from Sound Advice. I considered the Velodyne SPL-1200 which was 1,400 at sound advice and can be found on the net ranging from 700-1400. Obviously there is a lot of mark up here from manufacterer to retailer. I think that is why most of us are looking into SVS, HSU, and Outlaw, NO MARK UP. I am sure you have an awesome system utilizing the HGS series from velodyne, I think the point is why spend 2,000-3,000 when you may be able to get something similar for 500-1,000. I know it may not produce levels like the HGS 15" or 18" but the cost savings probably outwieghs the output from a 3,000 sub. I am considering 2 outlaw LFM-1 subs or 1 SVS PB2-ISD or 2 SVS PB2-ISD, all can be had for around 1,000. That is a lot of sub for the money, my only question to this forum is which way to go based on experience in the group Outlaw LFM-1 or SVS PB2, SVS PB1. Thank you.

#34769 - 05/22/04 03:57 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i dont think you can get a sub as good as the spl even with 2 lfms. you yourself say 700 online for spl1200, that is not much more than the lfm anyway.

#34770 - 05/22/04 06:52 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
tas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

curegeorg,

why would you recommend the spl-1200 over the LFM-1 or SVS PB1, I have seen user reviews who have both the Velo Spl-1200, and the SVS PB1 and give the edge to the SVS, I know 1 or 2 listener reviews does not set things in stone, also the 700 price I saw on the spl-1200 was not a very reputable company, 900 is avg for descent on line vendors. For 900 I would get the SVS PB2-ISD. I appreciate your input.

#34771 - 05/22/04 07:12 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by tas:
curegeorg,

why would you recommend the spl-1200 over the LFM-1 or SVS PB1, I have seen user reviews who have both the Velo Spl-1200, and the SVS PB1 and give the edge to the SVS, I know 1 or 2 listener reviews does not set things in stone, also the 700 price I saw on the spl-1200 was not a very reputable company, 900 is avg for descent on line vendors. For 900 I would get the SVS PB2-ISD. I appreciate your input.

why i wouldnt:
Down-firing woofers
Three tuned, patented 3" high-flow flared porting (in and out).
600 watt BASH (R) digital switching amp

that stacks up poorly against the spl1200. svs makes pretty decent stuff that they assemble from other companies that manufacturer the products. they however dont do inhouse design, which sometimes holds them back. however it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY cheaper to outsource like they do, outlaw does this as well...

the ultra is more on order with the spl. and the ultra costs over 2x as much!

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 22, 2004).]

#34772 - 05/22/04 07:15 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by tas:
I have seen user reviews who have both the Velo Spl-1200, and the SVS PB1 and give the edge to the SVS

everyone is entitled to their opinions be them correct or not... everyone and their sister uses the BASH amplifier.

#34773 - 05/22/04 11:20 PM Re: LFM-1 vs. SVS PB1-ISD Please Help!
tas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

curegeorg,

what else would you recommend other than velodyne, any experience or info on Earthquake subs?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM