Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34729 - 03/20/04 02:55 PM How does LFM-1 compare?
dvdfreak Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cary, NC, USA
How does the LFM-1 compare with the def tech supercube 1? I have heard nothing but good things about the supercube, and have listened to it quite a bit in my local store. I am interested in the LFM-1 but I wonder how it compares. Anyone heard both and have an opinion? I think i may be able to get the supercube for around $800, so not too much more $ than the lfm-1. Thanks for the help.

#34730 - 03/21/04 04:50 PM Re: How does LFM-1 compare?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't heard the supercube, although I have heard good things about it. The LFM-1 is a fair bit larger, but having had one for almost two weeks now I can say that it would be very hard to top the LFM-1 in this price range. I evicted an SVS 25-31PCi to make room for the LFM-1, and consider it an upgrade even though they are nearly the same price.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#34731 - 03/22/04 08:15 AM Re: How does LFM-1 compare?
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
Just curious on the comparison test you did between the SVS and LFM. I got my SVS PC-Ultra http://svsubwoofers.com/subs_pc_ultra.htm) in about two weeks ago and it really did put my 6-7 year old Paradigm PS100 to shame given the changes to the room size changes. My listening area more than doubled in size in all aspects, most importantly volume. I ran through my own set of comparison disk, but the real test for me came from watchin HDTV @ 3./2.1. Some of the bass passages in the normal broadcast are a totally new expierence for me. One particular commercial is where two young men from Africa are starting a fire. When one guy rubs the sticks together you hear this bass rumble that coincides with his rubbing the stick between his hands. I could very faintly hear this with the PS-1000, but now I can here it as clear as a bell )(a big bell!) with the SVS.

I like the SVS, but I want to run through some more test, maybe some that I may not have thought of. I would love to hear what of those you conducted.

Note: The PC-Ultra has an upgraded driver and 525-watt BASH. I am a using custom 75ohm cable to deliver the signal from the 950.

Phatlac

#34732 - 03/25/04 07:14 PM Re: How does LFM-1 compare?
gonk Offline
Desperado

phatlac -- don't want you to think I'm ignoring you. I've actually been working on an answer for you for a few days now, but haven't quite finished it yet. Will try to tomorrow.

------------------

#34733 - 03/26/04 04:09 PM Re: How does LFM-1 compare?
dvdfreak Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cary, NC, USA
Here is an update on my sub hunting...

It turned out that the sale price for the supercube wasn't as low as I was told it would be. The price was $1000, so I decided against getting it. I think the sub sounds good but for $1000 it needs to be better than good... i should be blown away.

So since I have heard so many good things about SVS I figured I'd look into what they have to offer. I am still not completely decided yet, but the sub at the top of my list is the SVS PB2-plus. From what I've read this thing should literally blow me away! Anyone have first hand knowledge of the PB2-plus?

#34734 - 03/26/04 06:24 PM Re: How does LFM-1 compare?
gonk Offline
Desperado

phatlac -- here are some notes I've compiled covering my testing of the LFM-1.

The SVS I had (25-31PCi) is somewhat different from the PC-Ultra -- smaller amp, different driver, slightly shorter cylinder, little less than half the price. For pricing and specs, the 25-31PCi is essentially a dead ringer for the LFM-1 (disregarding the significantly different outward appearance), which made it a pretty interesting opportunity to compare the two.

The first thing I did was scoot the SVS over a couple feet to make room for the LFM-1. I shifted the power and sub cables over, turned the LFM-1 on, and let a couple CD's play while I did some other things around the den. I had never consciously considered the SVS to be boomy, but it was also my first real sub and when I got it almost two years ago I ended up setting a low crossover point for the mains (40Hz). I did that because the SVS tended to get in the way of my Studio 60 mains on music. Moving to a larger room in the new house helped tone this down some, but with the LFM-1 I listened for about two minutes and immediately felt that it blended better with the mains. I bumped the crossover up to where I'd wanted to set it initially (60Hz). I took a minute to confirm that the LFM-1 still blended smoothly (actually I think the word "invisibly" came to mind -- there was definitely bass being produced, but it was part of a musical whole, not booming along at the same time as the music), then tossed in a couple movies to see how it did with them -- and how it did at being really loud.

It didn't take much to prove that the LFM-1 could provide all the bass power I will ever need. The scene in Finding Nemo with Darla tapping on the tank was just plain frightening; the LFM-1 filled the entire 17x20 den and the adjacent breakfast room with almost visible waves of sound power, and I found myself starting to back up slightly. The first seismic charge in chapter 28 of Attack of the Clones knocked stuff off the wall (literally -- the commemorative piece of basketball floor from Indiana's old field house jumped off its nail the first time I demo'ed the LFM-1 for Mrs. gonk). For movie watching, the LFM-1 reached at least as low as the 25-31PCi had, and it could generate very respectable sound power levels. I didn't try to take a dB measurement, but it was able to go louder than I would listen even under extreme circumstances and it did it without straining.

I also went back later, calibrated both subs to the same output level using the 950's test tone and my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter, and proceded to switch back and forth using some music as a test. These tests confirmed two things: the new room and sub location are superior to the conditions at the old house, and the LFM-1 integrates better with my speakers than the SVS. The SVS tended to 'boom' a bit on low passages in music, which is why it didn't blend well with the mains at higher crossover points. Two years ago, I thought the SVS blended well on music when crossed over at 40Hz, but it was really just being starved of material -- with music recordings, the area below 50Hz or so is pretty sparse. The LFM-1 is free of this sense of 'boom,' and at a 60Hz crossover (the recommended crossover point with mains that are rated to 30Hz at -3dB) it merges quite seamlessly with the main speakers while still contributing to the presentation when called on.

Having compared the LFM-1 to an SVS sub with their ISD driver (the driver used in all of the entry-level SVS cylinders and the box subs that include "ISD" in their designation), I find that I would recommend the LFM-1 over an ISD-based sub. I haven't heard the Plus or Ultra drivers, both of which come with price tags a healthy step above the LFM-1, so I can't speak to them, but I suspect that the LFM-1 would be able to stand respectably alongside more expensive subs in most cases. Particularly large spaces might bring about a need for a pair of subs to match the dB output of a sub like the PB2-Plus, but for my listening room (close to 3000 cubic feet) it does a fabulous job.

------------------

#34735 - 03/26/04 11:00 PM Re: How does LFM-1 compare?
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
Gonk, I had an SVS 16-46Pci and it produced some outstanding bass in both music, and HT, but the new SVS PB2-ISD is even better. It has so much reserve power that it never strains to product any low frequency music, or movie soundtracks. I have it tuned to 16Hz, and still get the sound levels I am looking for, but I must say the my setup is in a room which is 20'X 16'X 8'. Not a large room only about 2600 cubic feet, so the sub with it's two drivers, and 600 watt amp might be able to overpower the room. I have the x-over set at 60Hz, and every thing blends very nicely. I'm glad to hear that the LFM-1 is such a good sub. Enjoy. It would be great to be able to compare the LFM-1, and the PB2-ISD.

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users