Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34633 - 01/25/04 02:04 PM LFM1 Cabling
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
I'm planning to use the low level (RCA) connection from my 950 to my LFM1. I'll probably need 30' of cable for this. Where can I find cable of this length that is designed for a low level signal?

#34634 - 01/25/04 02:35 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thirty feet is a pretty good run, so there aren't a lot of pre-made sources. One that I think is pretty reasonable is Blue Jeans Cables -- their sub cable page can be found here . A 30' cable from them would cost $40, a 35' would be $46, and a 40' would be $52.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#34635 - 01/25/04 05:22 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I was asking about a source for the cable to make my own and what type of cable I should use. I've looked at Sounhound's DIY interconnects but I'd like to use a more bendable or "supple" cable than RG59.

#34636 - 01/26/04 01:25 AM Re: LFM1 Cabling
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Try Mogami Neglex 2534. I've been using it for years in all my DIY cables, long and short runs. It's actually a microphone cable so it is very soft and pliable. It bends nicely which sounds like what you are looking for. Here's a link to some spec's: http://www.mogamicable.com/mogami_cab/micr_cables/quad_micr/quad_micr.htm

It's available at markertek.com in bulk lengths at .78/ft.

Trust me this is good professional quality stuff and very popular and well respected among the DIY circles.

------------------
Tekdredger

[This message has been edited by tekdredger (edited January 26, 2004).]

#34637 - 01/26/04 01:50 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

That looks like the ticket! Question: How do I terminate a quad cable with an RCA connector? RCA's are designed to accept one inner-core wire and an outer shield.

#34638 - 01/26/04 02:30 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

One pair is hot and one pair is ground. It doesn't matter which pair you use, they are the same from an engineering standpoint. For example, tie both blue wires together and solder to the center pin of the rca and solder both white wires to the ground terminal. The overall shield wire is also soldered to the ground terminal but only at one end of the cable...trim it back and leave it unterminated at the other end. See this link for further discussion of directional cables and shielding: http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000089.html
Hope this helps.

------------------
Tekdredger

#34639 - 01/26/04 02:33 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Wow, thanks very much for the help on this matter. I really appreciate it. I'll post here again after I make my cable.

#34640 - 01/26/04 09:53 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

My pleasure. It's always fun helping out a fellow enthusiast...especially someone who is willing to roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty. Not only do you save a few bucks but you usually learn a bit along the way. The Outlaws have some great hardware but this forum may be their best "product". I think we are seeing the early stages of a new breed of educated consumer. There is a feeling of fraternity here that is reminiscent of the HAM radio days and the golden age of HiFi when amateur building was widespread. I'm not suggesting that everyone is going to start covering their kitchen tables with kits and DIY projects but forums like this one are starting to bring back an enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge that I find refreshing and contagious. A knowledgable consumer base is critical in these times when the home theater market is becoming more and more technically complicated. We need to share what we know with each other or we will end up being force fed by the large corporate producers of consumer grade electronics. And in that instance ignorance is definitely not bliss. Thanks again to the folks at Outlaw for giving us this space to share. I hope I don't hurt my leg getting down off this soapbox now.

------------------
Tekdredger

#34641 - 01/26/04 10:06 PM Re: LFM1 Cabling
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

I, um.....agree. I purchased a 40' piece of bulk "microphone cable" that has a two wire core and braided copper shielding. It is very pliable and bendable wich is what I was looking for. I also purchased a pair of high quality RCA connectors. I'll terminate the ends as you describe in your previous post. Thanks again.

#34642 - 02/03/04 11:58 AM Re: LFM1 Cabling
kidrock Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Prairieville, La. 70769
Quote:
Originally posted by tekdredger:
One pair is hot and one pair is ground. It doesn't matter which pair you use, they are the same from an engineering standpoint. For example, tie both blue wires together and solder to the center pin of the rca and solder both white wires to the ground terminal. The overall shield wire is also soldered to the ground terminal but only at one end of the cable...trim it back and leave it unterminated at the other end. See this link for further discussion of directional cables and shielding: http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000089.html
Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM