Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34595 - 01/11/04 01:58 AM LFM-1 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
As a proud and extremely happy owner of a 950/770 combo and matching interconnects, I'm once again looking to Outlaw Audio for my next home theater purchase. I have a few questions about the LFM-1. Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer that supplies the driver for the LFM-1? The amplifier? Is the cabinet made of MDF thicker than 3/4"? What is the cabinet finished with?

#34596 - 01/11/04 02:20 AM Re: LFM-1 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
OK, so I've seen the similarities with the HSU Research subs. Can someone tell me how the LFM-1 differs from these subs. I understand that HSU consulted on the project. Also, do I get family pricing if I purchase the LFM-1?

#34597 - 01/13/04 11:30 AM Re: LFM-1 Questions
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I got my LFM yesterday and hooked her right up with the bonus sub cable Outlaw included. Based on the few hours of listening I've managed so far, the sub is terrific adding that deep, satisfying bass that my Mackies couldn't really reproduce. It's a subtle improvement. I'm looking forward to listening to material that has dedicated .1 information. Right now, out of the box, I'm bypassing the internal crossover and I've set the crossovers in the 950 to 60 cps (along with the control on back of the lfm.) Oh, and I've set the volume control of the lfm on "5" whatever that means. This weekend it'll be time to whip out the Radio Shack meter to balance the system.

The lfm is manufactured in China and the center of the 12" driver has the Outlaw logo on it. Beautiful piece of furniture, btw.

My immediate first impression? Terrific product!

Jay

#34598 - 01/13/04 01:13 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
philiprst Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Jay, I would be very interested in your experience with the Mackies (HR824s I assume). I also have a pair of them and they are fabulous monitors. I have been thinking of using them in my new HT.

Could you tell us what you use for your center channels and surrounds? Have you had any problem with long cable runs?

Thanks

Philip

#34599 - 01/13/04 04:08 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

China! It's made in China?!

Don't know about the rest of you out there but I personally avoid anything made in China - at all costs. (This of course includes 95% of the products carried by Mall Wart.) Heck I even inspect the labels on boxer shorts before buying - just to make sure that it was not made in China.

Why?

1. It's a political thing; and

2. Everything I've ever (mistakenly) bought that was made in China has been crap.

I checked out all of the Outlaw web info on the lfm and if you blow up page 4 of the owner's manual pdf, sure enough there's the "Manufactured in China" printed on the rear plate. Dang! Talk about lunchbag letdown!

So all of a sudden I break out in a cold sweat. What about my Model 950? Safe! Just checked the pdf of the owner's manual for it and its "Made in Malaysia". Big sigh of relief!

This will teach me to be even more vigilant in future.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#34600 - 01/13/04 07:40 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Ok. I've just had a great discussion with Peter from Outlaw (they do read these posts) and he walked me through the whole design and development process for the LFM-1 - including all of the ins and outs of sourcing the product from a Chinese factory.

It sounds to me like the Outlaws are well on top of all of the quality issues that would normally cause me great grief about Chinese products. My anxiety level has dropped several notches and I'm back to considering the LFM-1 as a possible future purchase.

But only this one time!

Jeff Mackwood

ps. This will become only the second exception to my never knowingly buying a Chinese-made product rule. The first is of course Tsing Tao beer - without which no Chinese food should ever be consumed. Mind you it's only because the Germans set up the brewery in the first place (over 150 years ago - I think.)

#34601 - 01/13/04 08:13 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Made in China? I am relieved becuase I have made a deliberate decision to not buy anything from France. My personal boycott. As far as China goes it is the Japan of the 1970s when it comes to moving up the manufacturing food chain.

#34602 - 01/13/04 08:32 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Philip,

I was running a pair of Mackie 824s for my home studio when it hit me that they sounded really ballsy and well balanced (as monitors should). I just got a third one for the center channel but I'm using a pair of Alesis powered monitors as surrounds. The Alesis' are far inferior! In fact, once you're using a pair of the Mackie's up front you won't be satisfied with anything inferior. It's too bad 'cause those babies cost $579 at Guitar Center. (That's each!) OTOH, one don't have to mess with separate amps. (By the way, IMHO the new, smaller Mackies don't have the same sound. Caveat emptor! Also, the center channel Mackie isn't needed...save your cash.)

You asked about cables. I had the nice guy at WickedCables.com make me custom length cables. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the xlr input on the Mackies because the 950 only has RCA outs. My cables are terminated with RCA males and phone plug males. (I've petitioned the Outlaw guys to include balanced xlr outs on the next 950.)
It is a joy to listen to, btw!

Jay

#34603 - 01/13/04 08:36 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Jeff,

It is getting harder and harder to buy ANYTHING not made in China. Take a close look at most Sony products, for example. Hey, don't blame me...I didn't vote for Dubya! I think the 21st Century will belong to China...give 'em fifty years.

Jay

#34604 - 01/13/04 09:03 PM Re: LFM-1 Questions
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Raider,

I decided to boycott certain French (as in France) products years and years ago - when they nuked some more sea turtles in the South Pacific. Any French wine, not purchased in France, is one such item. (The Province of Ontario, where I live, is the world's largest purchaser of French wine in the world, through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. I consider it my Holy Grail to approach every LCBO store manager and berate them until they reduce the shelf space dedicated to French wine. Baby steps!) However when I am in Paris I readily indulge - mostly because you can't buy anything but French wine there!

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. without getting too deeply into the politics of the whole US French boycott thing, I find it amazing that it only took the US a couple of centuries to learn to hate the French - without who's assistance they probably would never have been able to rid thmselves of the Brits - with whom they are now best buddies. Oh well, geopolitics was never my forte. (Oops - dang French word!). And God Save the Queen!

ps. to all of my French-Canadian friends and colleagues: definitely not directed to you or Quebec. It's France. Nous restons amis!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts