Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#34586 - 01/13/04 01:26 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
philiprst Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
For those of you still on the waiting list, or anxiously awaiting delivery, I thought I would share with you the time-line of my order.

Dec 9 (12:13pm): Added to wait list.
Jan 30: Received e-mail saying it was available.
Jan 1: Completed online ordering.
Jan 6: Cable picked up by UPS in CA.
Jan 8: LFM-1 was picked up by FedEx in CA.
Jan 9: Received e-mail containing receipt and tracking numbers.

UPS package: estimated delivery date Jan 13
FedEx package: Jan 15.

(this is the standard 5 days transit time between CA and the East coast).

Hope that helps at least one person.

Philip

#34587 - 01/14/04 08:49 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
Doc Holliday Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MixFixJ:
Just waiting to hear the first reviews. I'm on the list. I'm hoping to hear some comments from the first recipients.
As always,
Mix

#34588 - 01/14/04 09:00 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
Doc Holliday Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MixFixJ:
Just waiting to hear the first reviews. I'm on the list. I'm hoping to hear some comments from the first recipients.
As always,
Mix

I had the good fortune to receive the 2nd unit shipped (luck of the draw, I guess!). Believe me when I tell you the unit more than met my expectations! Without qualification it is one of the best low effects units I have ever heard at AT ANY PRICE. I am so sold that I plan to purchase another unit. However, to anyone comtemplating a purchase be sure to consider its physical size. Mine is placed in a rather large room so it does not "overpower" the room's decor. Also, the media room in our home is mine to do with as I choose (my wife has the rest of the house to furnish and decorate) so I don't have a problem in that regard. Trust me, you will not regret acquiring this item; as with the other Outlaw equipment I own it will meet the needs of the most discriminating listener.

#34589 - 01/15/04 10:05 AM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
That's great to hear! BTW, don't forget to also post a review at Audioreview

#34590 - 01/16/04 10:59 AM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
philiprst Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I received my lfm-1 on Jan 14 and I wanted to post some initial comments about it with a more detailed follow-up later. First impressions are always not to be completely trusted so please take these comments with the appropriate grain of salt.

The lfm-1 was delivered double boxed with the attention of detail to packaging that I have come to expect from Outlaw. Outlaw provides unpacking instructions inside the outer cartoon so getting the unit and accesories out was straightforward.

The only thing to do before connecting it is to install the (solid) metal spike feet. Outlaw provides metal disks to be placed under the spikes if you have a floor that is easily damaged. Installing the spikes is quite straightforward although screwing the threaded post into the spike itself was more difficult than it seemed. Paint transfer to the threads in the spike meant that it was not possible for me to handtighten the posts into the spikes. This is obviously a minor issue that's easily solved but not at 11:30pm

Connection is completely straightforward. Mine came with the free Outlaw subwoofer cable and I was very impressed by the quality of the cable and connectors. I am not a big believer in esoteric cables so I probably would would not have spent the $70 on a single cable myself. However, this is a very nice cable with great connectors and construction and it is reasonably priced relative to others I have seen.

What does it look like: Well, it's a big black box. Actually it is clear that Outlaw put some effort into making the cabinet as unobtrusive as possible by rounding the sides and using plexi insert that breaks up the landscape. The exterior finish was completely free of any blemishes and the construction quality is quite excellent. The appearance and exterior design clearly shares the same philosophy as the 950 etc. Simple and clean. Personally that's something I like.

From my brief few hours of listening it seems that this is a unit of great potential (I say that because placement is so critical and I have not had time to play with that). Great extension, articulate and very powerful. It is better than any sub I have heard for under $1500 although I have not had a chance to audition either SVS or Hsu products. It is certainly head and shoulders above the $500-600 12" subs made, for example, Paradigm and Velodyne (and those are very good subs for the price). I'll try and post a more detailed report in a couple of weeks.

Philip

#34591 - 01/17/04 03:16 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
I just received my LFM-1 yesterday (my first subwoofer). I will post my impressions once I set it up. Speaking of set up, I am clueless as to how a sub should be setup. The manual says to put the sub at listening position then walk aroung room to see where most bass is. I did that and it was in a corner left of my front left speaker. Next I must set levels. How exactly do you set levels for this sub? There is a volume control on back, a phase switch, etc. I really need a quick tutorial from someone on set up and level setting and phase switch position. A lot of you know much more than I and I would appreciate your help on this.

Thanks and ready for some big bass. By the way my set up is 950/7100 plus All Klipsch speakers. KLF 20s up front with KLFC7 center and RS7 as surrounds.

#34592 - 01/17/04 05:53 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Raider,

I got my lfm about five days ago so I'm new to this too. Since the phase switch has only two positions try both with some bass heavy music playing. One position will have more output. That's the one you want to use. The manual suggest setting the volume control to 5. Obviously, it seems to me that you've got to use the (Avia?) test disc and the RS sound level meter to truly set the level of all six speakers. (There's some sort of mathematical adjustment you must make outlined in the manual. I'll get to it eventually!) I spoke to an Outlaw (I think Scott) who recommended putting the bypass switch on and using the crossover control in my 950. Since I'm running ballsy Mackie monitors he suggested 60 hz with all speakers set to Large and subwoofer on, of course. Here's a problem I didn't anticipate: while listening to this wild quadraphonic E Power Biggs organ SACD when he hit the lowest pedal things in my ht room started to sympathetically vibrate. If you hit the button toward the lower left of the toggle control on the remote you can (temporarily) adjust the relative level of any speaker. I had to bring the lfm way down. It's time to start fastening things down! BTW, the Beck SACD is a very musical, true 5.1 recording with unique material in each speaker. IOW, I think he mixed it for 5.1 initially.
Does any of this help?

Jay

#34593 - 01/28/04 01:49 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
In the immortal words of Frank Barone, "Holy Crap!"

I've had a JBL 10" 100watt sub for the last 8 years and have enjoyed my HT immensely. Last night, my enjoyment shifted to giddiness and then euphoria and I've only had a couple of minutes to mess with it. Basically right out of the box, it blew me away.

I had been planning on putting my HT on it's own circuit for some time and after reading the inside front page for the LFM-1, that gave me reason to do it. The whole system is now on it's own 20 amp circuit. So, the LFM-1 was sitting in my living room/ht for a whole day without anything to do but wait for me to finish the wiring.

My wife went to bed early but said it was okay if I wanted to test it out. I finished the wiring about 11:15 and by 11:30 I had the Finding Nemo disc out. (Chapter 24 and 25....24 is the pigeon chase and 25 is Darla banging on the aquarium.) I played it once with the old sub...nice. Then I played it with the LFM-1....YOW! What a difference. I'm not kidding you when I tell you the entire house shook at a reasonable volume level. If I'd had it cranked, I might have shaken my wife out of bed.

Again, I've only had a chance to mess with it a little bit so I haven't played any music yet (mine will be used 99% HT though) but the sound is very tight and not rumbling like my old sub. I'll try and post again after I've messed with it for a while and demo'd more material. But I am even more impressed so far than I was expecting....and I was expecting a lot.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest computer and order the LFM-1 if you're in the market for a sub. You will not be disappointed. Kudos to the Outlaws!

Todd

P.S. This was not a compensated endorsement

#34594 - 03/15/04 05:48 PM Re: Does anyone have one yet?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I got one just last week (replacing an SVS 25-31PCi due to the more spouse-pleasing appearance of the LFM-1). I did a little unscientific A-B testing last week between the two along with the setup listening, some fun demo segments, and a fair bit of casual listening. I've been very pleased with it. It's not a night-and-day change (as you would hope it wouldn't be, with two direct-sale products that differ in price by only $30), but there were differences and to my ear the LFM-1 came out on top. Outlaw's got a great sub on their hands.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts