Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34484 - 06/08/03 02:49 PM LFM-1 sounds promising!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I just read the newsletter and this sound pretty interesting for under 600 dollars. I wonder how this will stack up with similar priced SVS's? If it really can produce 115 SPL from 20 Hz to 100 Hz it should be a great value.

I will admit, I am surprised by the turn to subwoofers considering the serious competition there already is for subwoofers sold directly on the internet. I'm definitely not complaining since more competition is good for us consumers, but I just wasn't expecting it.

Anyway, the specs look promising and I was just wondering what everybody else thought about it?

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited June 08, 2003).]

#34485 - 06/08/03 04:10 PM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
If they are involved with Hsu on the design then I think it will be pretty good. SInce I have been shopping, Hsu was pretty high on my list (higher than SVS), and I was impressed with my email conversations with them. I just gave my old sub away to my son in law and need a new one now or otherwise I might wait. I am moving forward with an Adire Daeva.

#34486 - 06/08/03 04:37 PM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
When I first heard that they were getting into the sub market, I was a bit surprised, too, since there's currently some pretty stiff competition in that market. With Hsu involved, though, and the combination of the specs and price, it sounds to me like a pretty good move.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#34487 - 06/08/03 06:45 PM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
jm99 Offline
Gunslinger

Sort of sounds like a TN-1225HO with an Outlaw mono-block?

#34488 - 06/08/03 11:25 PM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
I can't wait for the shootout between the LFM-1 and the SVS PB1-ISD. I am sure somebody out there in the review world will cover this one. It will be like the match up between Lancer Evo VIII and the Impreza WRX Sti (I follow cars a little bit too). Two very strong and unique values duking it out in the market place.

#34489 - 06/09/03 06:12 PM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
Tombstone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
First, let me say that I am in the market for a new sub in the not-to-distant future; so this announcement comes at an opportune time. Second, let me voice my hope that it will be a HIGHLY MUSICAL sub, rather than one just designed to shake and rumble for the HT crowd. I have a stack of three non-powered, 12" downfiring Radio Shack subs driven by old Carver and Phase-linear amps that I kick in during movies. I shake my whole house and the neighbors' on both sides; but I have to turn them off when I play music, or it all turns to mud. I have a powered N.E.A.R. sub with twin metal 8" drivers dedicated to music, but it lacks the extension needed for Home Theater. So, I would love to replace the RS stack with a second MUSICAL sub which, when combined with the N.E.A.R. sub would still rock my (and my neighbors') house during movies, while keeping my music rich and sweet. If anyone can bring a truly deep, musical, extended sub to market for under a grand, the Outlaws are the ones. -- Which brings up point number three, y'all are shooting too low with your comparisons. Ignore the Hsu's and SVS's at similar prices. Let's shoot for the likes of the new James subwoofer, or the Paradigm servo-15, or the B&W CDM, or one of the Velodines, etc. in the $1,500 arena. That's the Outlaw way! Same or better sound for half the price or less. Now you have my attention!

#34490 - 07/11/03 07:39 AM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
With Hsu involved, though, and the combination of the specs and price, it sounds to me like a pretty good move.
I wonder how Dr. Hsu will separate this sub from the ones he designs and sells under his own brand. I know LFM-1 is being designed to the "Outlaw's specs" but I have trouble believing that Hsu will create something that will be a better value than anything he sells. After all, he's also a retailer.

Best,
Sanjay

#34491 - 08/30/03 01:43 AM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
Chris A H Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The forum on the HSU website discusses a new series subwoofers (VTF series) coming out in the next few months. A quote from a HSU employee on the site about the high-end model:

===
Here are some specs:

-12 inch woofer
-22 Hz extension
-Single Tuning
-Output at least equal to the Outlaw's
-around $550 in price

===

Interesting, no?

#34492 - 08/30/03 12:54 PM Re: LFM-1 sounds promising!
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Interesting, yes.

Gives some inkling as to how Hsu will compete with his own (Outlaw badged) design.

Sanjay

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM