Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34453 - 12/02/06 05:47 PM dead 7100
mikegh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the forum, I bought my 7100 secondhand about 6 months ago and it's a great amp, I love the sound. I'm using a denon 1905 avr as a pre/pro. My speakers are definitive technology bp10 mains, clr2000 center, bp1.2x side surrounds and a bp2x rear surround. My sub is an SVS pb12-plus2 and I use a BFD for bass eq.

Today the amp developed a problem. The remote trigger has worked on and off since I had it, today it quit working again and I'm usually able to get it going again by adjusting the 12 volt plug and getting it in the socket on the amp just right. After some fiddling around and not being able to get it to work, the amp won't come on at all anymore, from the front panel or the trigger. I checked the fuse and it's good so now I'm at a loss. I'm going to call tech support on Monday, hopefully it can be repaired, it's still under warranty. Anybody have something similar??

thanks for any input,

Mike

#34454 - 12/02/06 06:02 PM Re: dead 7100
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Can you pull the trigger cable out entirely and get the amp on? It sounds almost like the trigger cable is being recognized as being in place but with no signal getting through to trigger the amp (and with the cable there, the amp can't be turned on without that signal). Also, have you tried a different trigger cable?

#34455 - 12/02/06 06:50 PM Re: dead 7100
mikegh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks gonk for your response. It used to work fine with the trigger cable out using the front power switch, now it won't come on at all using the front power switch, with or without the trigger cable plugged in.The rear panel fuse seems to be good and the main switch on the rear panel is on. I pulled off the cover and all the fuses inside are okay as well.

The trigger cable has always been touchy, a little too far in or out and it won't work, I had to get it seated just right for it to work.

#34456 - 12/02/06 08:11 PM Re: dead 7100
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The trigger cable problem sounds like a connector that's not quite the right length - it's overshooting the "sweet spot" and losing contact for part of the connector. I've run into that with some headphones before (lose one channel). I'd say that the cable was at fault, but if it's not even working with the trigger cable removed I don't think that's the case here. Outlaw will get you back on track next week, but in the meanwhile all I can think of is to either try a new trigger cable (just in case) or remove the trigger cable from the equation and try unplugging the amp for a while then plugging it back in - and both are definite long shots.

#34457 - 12/05/06 06:47 PM Re: dead 7100
mikegh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Talked to tech support yesterday (monday) and Steve gave me a few things to try to get it going, unfortunately none of them worked so I'll be shipping it off to get repaired. I'll post back when I find out what the problem was.

#34458 - 12/24/06 09:21 AM Re: dead 7100
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
gonk is great...this forum is great...Outlaw Service is great...I had a catastrophic failure with my 7100...lost a channel...sent it off and had it back in less time than they quoted looking like I had just bought it (and I take care of my stuff but was it CLEAN!)and working just fine since...Merry Christmas and I hope you get to the root of your problem...sounds like you are almost there.
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#34459 - 02/04/07 05:41 PM Re: dead 7100
mikegh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

2 Saturdays ago my doorbell rang and it was the fedex man with my 7100, I told him I was very glad to see him and thanked him for humping the box up to the house smile

I hooked it back up and all is working perfectly now. Before I sent it out I had wiggle the trigger cable just right for it to work, if it got bumped I'd have to mess around with it to get it working again.

Outlaw really stood behind their product, I'm definitely a happy customer.
Mike

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts