Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#34386 - 05/24/05 09:46 AM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
What fixed it?

#34387 - 05/24/05 04:15 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

Yes what fixed it Josuah?

#34388 - 05/24/05 05:14 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
Josuah Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
Sorry, was late and was tired. So didn't provide details.

I'm not entirely sure. First thing is I was using an EQ between the receiver and amp. That was increasing the noise floor by a few dB and also adding a ground loop hum. I reduced the ground loop hum to the level of the noise floor by grounding all the chassis together and to a ground hole on the power strip. This noise floor, with the EQ involved, was barely audible from my listening position.

But, disconnecting all inputs to the amp still had a noise floor that while inaudible from my listening position, was there.

Anyway, I removed the EQ, and this resulted in removal of something else besides the EQ: the RCA to 1/4" TRS Hosa cables I was using for interconnects. I am now using RCA brand RCA to RCA cables for the interconnects that I bought from Home Depot (including one labeled my green component video, since I needed 7 instead of 6).

This combination has resulted in an extremely low noise floor. Lower than when I shorted the inputs using 12awg copper or when the inputs had no connections. It is currently only audible from some of the drivers, and then only with my ear against the grille, and even then, barely audible. The chassis are still grounded to each other and the ground on my power strip.

Summary is the EQ was a noisy component, but also connecting the receiver pre-outs directly to the amp inputs using RCA brand cables instead of Hosas. The RCA brand cables seem to have better shielding. But that could just be them trying to make the cables look nicer.

#34389 - 05/24/05 08:40 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
hmmmm...

#34390 - 05/24/05 08:43 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
No, that's Hummm

#34391 - 05/24/05 08:57 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i was thinkin' if i should add my .02 but it's REALLY long and simple,few more,maybe.....

#34392 - 05/24/05 09:14 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Was everything on the same circuit and did you try moving the EQ, but leaving it connected?

#34393 - 05/25/05 02:21 AM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
Josuah Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, everything was on the same circuit. The raised noise floor was not ground loop hum. I'm sure those who have experienced ground loop hum know the difference in sound. The higher noise floor was still there when everything else was off and disconnected.

Unless it just happened to be something odd that one day. Because in previous testing, I thought removing all the inputs but leaving everything there did lower the noise floor quite a bit. Not as silent as it is today though. Based on what I can hear with my ear against the grille.

I did try physically moving the EQ, but only a little bit, thinking maybe it touching the DVD player or not touching the amp would make a difference. Turning off the EQ would stop it from generating any EM fields.

#34394 - 05/25/05 10:02 AM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

I am experiencing something like that in my speaker testing setup, since I am still waiting for my equipment to arrive from Outlaw.

I have a Bedini Class A amp connected to an old Nad which I am using to test my speakers and found I was getting a "noisy grill" effect as well.. (even though none of my speakers actually have a grill)

They are all on the same circuit and seem to be having some kind of inconsistant EM problem, cause if I move them around a bit, etc, it stops for awhile. I am also having problems with the pots in the NAD, so that could have something to do with it as well, but its just old and I am not going to fix it.

Does you EQ have pots or is it all digital?

#34395 - 05/25/05 08:43 PM Re: Reduce Noise Floor?
Josuah Offline
Gunslinger

The EQ I was using was all digital input, on sliders, so I'm guessing no pots inside. 1U for 8 channels digital. But I was still getting the noise floor with the EQ off.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts