Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#3419 - 01/16/03 08:59 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
If you are looking at a meter that is $50 it is probably the digital version, while it will work, they eat batteries like no tomorrow and the analog meter is a little easier to read. (IMO)
With any sub they are very position dependent. I had to move my SVS around a bit to find just the right spot. So experiment a bit and you will find a good spot and any boominess will disappear. Good luck and have fun!

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#3420 - 01/16/03 09:36 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
m-mmeyer,
Yes, you're right about the digital meter. And on second thoughts, I'm going to pick up the analog meter today for $38. My calibration DVD will also arrive today, so I got plenty of tweaking/positioning to do, before it all comes together.

Any recommendations on a CD/mp3 changer?

#3421 - 01/16/03 10:17 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
LarryTT Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Long Island, NY
I used my friends digital RatShack meter. It didn't eat batteries and it worked just fine. The meter is very easy to read and is just as accurate as the analog meter. To me it is much easier to read a 73 or 76 on a digital meter than trying to guess as to where the needle is pointing on an analog scale.

Maybe that's just me . . .

Larry

#3422 - 01/16/03 11:25 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Larry,
The pamphlet sent by SVS mentions that they prefer the analog model too. I wonder why. I agree that reading a numeric digit on an LCD screen is much easier than myopically guessing what the needle is pointing to...

UPDATE on the sound: I got goosebumps listening to a CD right now....so...I think I'm on my way to audio bliss soon :-)

#3423 - 01/16/03 12:04 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
charlie Offline
Desperado

I have to weigh in heavily in favor of the analog meter. The test signal is going to vary a bit and any moving signal is harder to observe with a digital. Higher end meters include both a digital and a 'bar graph' analog display for just this reason. Also, the RatShack digital has no fractional readout which the analog has. Either will work, but for less money you can get more meter IMO. YMMV.

#3424 - 01/16/03 06:23 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Radio Shack ran out of the analog meters so I got the digital type. If they get an analog in, I'll exchange it.

Quick question: what gauge speaker wire should I use for the rear surrounds? Each run will be about 40-50 feet! I want to get some sort of thin wire that I could possible paint to match the wall color...

#3425 - 01/16/03 08:33 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
There are manufacturers that make flat wire that can be laid right onto walls and painted over. It comes in different gauges, but for 50 feet, i'd get at least 14 or better still 12 gauge. I don't have a name handy, but it shouldn't be hard to find as I've seen it advertised.

#3426 - 01/16/03 10:43 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
Cscamp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Deep, damn! i never even thought about looking for speakers in a newspaper especially B&W's...coz of you i'll start looking for "great deals" in the newspaper I'm also from Jersey, which newspaper did you find these B&W's? Star Ledger??? Hope you don't mind sharing the info.

#3427 - 01/17/03 10:05 AM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound,
thanks for the info. Yeah I'm aware of the flat cables (acoustic research makes some) but I have no patience to order them online and wait a few days. I'll go to Bestbuy today and see what they have.

Cscamp,
There are people who know about the internet and Ebay, and there are those who don't B&W speakers on Ebay elicit a feeding frenzy and it's really hard to find something at a 'good' price unless some newbie lists his speakers with a low "Buy It Now" price and you're the first one to see it and close the auction. Not just speakers really...I was bidding on a Radio Shack Audio Meter that sells for $50 in the shop. Some 29 people bid on it and the price was already up to $41 (PLUS $10 shipping) with 20 hours to go before the auction ended. Sheeshh...!!

I found my DM604s in the "Tempo" - a free newspaper distributed in the Somerset/Middlesex county. You should definitely look into the Princeton area newspapers for great deals. Years ago, I bought a 5-yr old Peugeot 505 STI with 23k miles, leather seats, power sunroof, power everything actually, for $2100.

Another good source is audiogon.com. There's a guy selling his CDM SE center channel for $325 - a pretty good deal:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1046367567

#3428 - 01/17/03 06:46 PM Re: YAY...I'm, in!!
Cscamp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I think there is a Tempo here in Edison... I know what your talkng about i've gotten a lot of great deals on Ebay myself...A Paradigm CC170 v.3 for $109...tell me thats not a steal? you need to be lucky at times. I actually bought and already sold some cables at Audiogon. Thanks!!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts